My family would be quite satisfied if I just rotated chocolate chip cookies and brownies for dessert. Chewy chocolate chip cookies and fudgy brownies, that is. Because of their love of chocolate, I’ve tested a lot of these recipes over the years. When my kids were little and I was pressed for time, I’d often whip up a boxed mix that came with a packet of frosting. Those became the gold standard for brownies, in their wee brains.
When they were all out of diapers, I began my quest to prove that homemade was better than the cardboard-like brownies they’d grown to love. Let me tell you, this was a hard sell for their young palates. The hubby was on board for any and all brownies I’d make, but my children had to have frosting. If I had tried this recipe for frosted cocoa brownies back then, I have a feeling they could have been persuaded in record time.
I never thought that a cocoa brownie could be any better than one made with melted chocolate, but I was mistaken. These have a deep, rich chocolate flavor and the perfect fudgy consistency. Over the years, I’ve upped the frosting to appease the family. Instead of a single batch, I make a batch and a half of icing for the ultimate frosted brownie experience. I think you’ll love them, too.
Frosted Cocoa Brownies
For the brownies:
- 1⅔ cups sugar
- ¾ cup butter 1½ sticks, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- ¾ cup 1½ sticks butter, at room temperature
- 1¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 4½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350ºFor 180°C. Grease 9 x 13 inch pan or line with nonstick foil.
- Combine sugar, butter, and water in a large bowl.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt into the egg mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes (mine took 20 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of brownies comes out slightly sticky.
- Cool on wire rack while making the frosting.
- To make the frosting, place butter into a medium bowl.
- Sift cocoa and powdered sugar into the bowl.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Using a hand mixer, beat till well combined.
- Spread on cooled brownies.
Check out more of my favorite brownies: