Hamburger stroganoff is an easy recipe ready in just 30 minutes! Our best Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe is perfect for any night of the week, including your Sunday dinner ideas.
This is one of the easiest meal ideas with ground beef you can make, and you can do it all in one skillet!
The best part about hamburger beef stroganoff just might be that it’s more budget-friendly and even easier to make than a classic beef stroganoff recipe since it uses ground beef instead of strips of steak!
What is beef stroganoff?
Traditional beef stroganoff, also known as beef stroganov, is Russian cuisine consisting of sauteed beef strips in a bouillon, mustard, and sour cream sauce.
Most often, you would serve classic Russian beef stroganoff with potatoes. Pasta is a more modern addition!
The best beef stroganoff recipes nowadays are mostly served with egg noodles, onions, and mushrooms, and it is delicious. It’s a popular comfort food recipe, and for good reason!
We make our easy beef stroganoff with ground beef. It’s just as delicious as recipes with beef strips. And trust us, you will LOVE how budget-friendly and quick using ground beef makes this recipe!
This is one of the most quick and easy ground beef recipes you can make. In fact, it’s one of our favorite ground beef recipe ideas, period!
Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
- 1.5 lbs. ground chuck
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper freshly cracked
- 1 tsp. garlic freshly minced
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced (about 1 cup sliced onion)
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 12 oz. wide egg noodles
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- chives Freshly chopped for garnish
Needless to say, I am so happy with the results. This hamburger beef stroganoff is perfection. So if you’re wondering what to make with hamburger beef, give it a try! You will love it!
How to Make Beef Stroganoff with Ground Chuck
Season beef with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper.
Heat skillet over mid-high heat and spray lightly with cooking spray. If using a seasoned cast iron skillet, there’s no need to spray.
Add 1.5 lbs. ground chuck to sear one side. Cook until it has a nice sear, about 3-5 minutes.
Turn beef over and break up slightly. I like to leave big chunks, it’s better for mixing with the pasta.
Add 1 tsp. freshly minced garlic, 1/2 cup sliced onions, and 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves. Saute until beef is cooked through and onions are soft, about 3-5 minutes.
Remove beef mixture from skillet to drain and set aside.
Add 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter to skillet.
Add 8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms to butter in skillet and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Saute mushrooms until they soften and release their juices.
Add 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour to the mushroom-butter mixture in the skillet. Cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes to cook the flour.
Add 1/2 cup white wine and scrape any brown bits from the pan. That’s flavor!
Add 1 1/2 cups beef stock.
Bring skillet mixture to a boil, then boil for about a minute.
Reduce heat to low and add the beef back into the skillet.
Cover and simmer on low heat while preparing the noodles.
Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
When the egg noodles are nearly done cooking, mix 1/3 cup sour cream into the beef mixture. Stir to combine.
Give the beef mixture a taste and adjust the seasonings as needed, adding salt and pepper to your liking.
Add noodles to the skillet with the beef mixture and stir to combine.
Garnish with freshly chopped chives or parsley and enjoy!
Sauteeing mushrooms and onions in butter bring out their beautiful flavor and add a rich and savory note to the beef stroganoff sauce. It’s much better than using canned cream of mushroom soup. I recommend always using fresh ingredients!
Ground Beef Skillet
Aside from the egg noodles, I make my recipe for minced beef stroganoff all in one skillet! Easy skillet meals are my favorite. But recipes with egg noodles are better if you cook them separately, in their own pot.
All in all, this hamburger beef stroganoff takes about 30 minutes to prepare, and is one of the best easy hamburger recipes you can make!
Tips for Making the Best Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- Use the best beef: Use Certified Angus Beef® brand ground chuck for the best results.
- Make it in a cast-iron skillet: We recommend a 10″ cast iron skillet, however, a stainless steel skillet will work as well. Avoid using a non-stick skillet as you won’t get a good sear on the beef.
- Curious about cast irons? Learn more about cast iron care and get more cast iron skillet recipes!
- Sear the beef: Searing the beef adds a nice crust for more flavor. We recommend you do this before chunking up the beef in the skillet!
- Use fresh mushrooms: Use fresh mushrooms for maximum flavor. No canned soup or jarred or canned mushrooms in this recipe!
- Use beef stock, not broth: Beef stock will produce a deeper flavor, so we recommend using stock over broth when possible.
What to Serve with Ground Beef Stroganoff
Try serving your hamburger beef stroganoff with a crusty bread recipe for dipping, or some fresh vegetables such as:
- Roasted Vegetables
- Fresh Vegetable Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- Easy Smashed Brussels Sprouts Recipe (Gluten Free)
- Best Yorkshire Pudding Recipe (Best Popover Recipe)
- Green Bean Almondine
And try these drinks to serve with hamburger beef stroganoff:
- Moscato Sangria Recipe (Moscato Wine Cocktail)
- Caramel Apple Sangria (Apple Pie Sangria)
- Spiked Mulled Cider
What can I make with ground beef?
Try these super easy ground beef recipes for more delicious dinner ideas!
- Ground Beef Chili Recipe
- Lebanese Kebabs with Beef
- Puerto Rican Baked Empanadas (Pastelillos de Carne)
- Mexican Lasagna Recipe with Corn Tortillas
- Homemade Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle Pasta
Love pasta? Get even more Comfort Food Pasta Recipes like this one!
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe🖨 Print 📌 Pin 📝 Comment
- 1.5 pounds ground chuck
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly cracked )
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic (freshly minced )
- 1 medium yellow onion (sliced (about 1 cup sliced onion))
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- chives (Freshly chopped for garnish)
- Season beef with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat skillet over mid-high heat and spray lightly with cooking spray (see note 1)
- Add beef to sear one side. Cook until nicely seared about 3-5 minutes
- Turn beef over and break up slightly. I like to leave big chunks
- Add 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic, 1/2 cup sliced onions, and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves. Saute until beef is cooked through and onions are softened. About 3-5 minutes
- Remove beef mixture from skillet to drain and set aside
- Add 3 tablespoons unsalted butter to skillet
- Add 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms to butter in skillet and season with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Saute mushrooms until they soften and release their juices
- Add 3 tablespoons all purpose flour to the mushroom/butter mixture in the skillet. Cook, stirring for a minute or 2 to cook the flour
- Add 1/2 cup white wine and scrape any brown bits from the pan
- Add 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- Bring skillet mixture to a boil and boil for about a minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add beef back into skillet
- Cover and simmer on low heat while preparing the noodles
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions
- When the egg noodles are nearly done, mix 1/3 cup sour cream into the beef mixture. Stir to combine
- Give the beef mixture a taste and adjust the seasonings as needed adding salt and pepper to your liking
- Add noodles to the skillet with the beef mixture and stir to combine
- Garnish with freshly chopped chives or parsley and enjoy!
- If using a well-seasoned cast iron skillet there is no need to spray with cooking spray.
- We recommend Certified Angus Beef® brand for the best results.
Photography by Marion Myers
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.