Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
This is the best Homemade Strawberry Shortcake recipe you will ever try! One bite of these completely made-from-scratch flaky and sweet biscuits with strawberry shortcake whipped cream filling and you will fall in love. Every bite is heavenly!
Cheesecake Factory Strawberry Shortcake
I can still remember the first time I had a strawberry shortcake at The Cheesecake Factory many years ago. It was absolutely amazing and one of the most memorable desserts I had ever tried.
The Cheesecake Factory strawberry shortcake is a giant strawberry shortcake filled to the brim with whipped cream and fresh berries, and it instantly became one of my favorite strawberry desserts. I loved it so much, I ordered it as a meal a few times!
What sets our homemade strawberry shortcake biscuits aside from every other recipe is how they are made and our secret ingredient: yogurt!
These homemade biscuits are more like scones. They’re made with butter and yogurt, which makes this recipe for strawberry shortcake biscuits so soft and moist.
- Ice cream scoop (optional for portioning dough)
- Mixing bowls
- Pastry cutter (optional for mixing dough)
- Electric mixer (for mixing whipped cream)
Easy Drop Biscuits
Our yogurt biscuits don’t use a cookie-cutter or biscuit cutter.
They’re easy drop biscuits you can shape using an ice cream scoop, spoon, or even just your hands. We use an ice cream scoop – it’s so easy to make perfectly sized biscuits this way!
Even a total beginner to baking will find this yogurt biscuit recipe easy. It’s as simple as it gets!
Strawberries for Shortcake
The best tip I can give you is to use fresh in-season strawberries! They are delicious on their own but with a bit of sugar, they become over-the-top sweet!
Cut them up and mix with a little sugar. The sugar helps strawberries release all their delicious juices, this is the sauce to the deliciousness that seeps into the yogurt biscuit. It is a key step in making the most delicious strawberry shortcakes!
Do this step at least an hour ahead of time and refrigerate the berries so they absorb the sugar.
How to Make Whipped Cream
To make homemade whipped cream, chill a mixing bowl and whisk attachment of your mixer in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes ahead of time. You can do this while the strawberries are soaking up the sugar.
Add heavy whipping cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract to the chill mixing bowl, then mix on medium-high speed until it forms stiff peaks.
Homemade whipped cream is the best to top any biscuit for a strawberry shortcake! But if you’re short on time, store-bought whipped cream works in a pinch.
- This tip comes from one of our readers and I love it so much that I thought I would share this brilliant idea with all of you! “I used frozen butter and ran it thru my salad shooter. Worked like a charm and made it so easy.” – Shelly
- The best way to divide the batter for your shortcake biscuit recipe is with an ice cream scoop. I love my ice cream scoop. It’s perfect for portioning the dough!
- If you don’t have a pastry cutter, don’t run out and buy one! I always use my hands to mix in the butter. I find it quick and effective and actually prefer it over using a pastry cutter!
- Only work with the tips of your fingers and work quickly to avoid melting the butter. Cold butter is key when making biscuits of any kind.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon. The batter will be very wet. To keep the biscuits soft and moist, avoid adding more flour!Only work with the tips of your fingers and work quickly to avoid melting the butter. Cold butter is key when making biscuits of any kind.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon. The batter will be very wet. To keep the biscuits soft and moist, avoid adding more flour!
Make it Gluten Free
You can make gluten-free strawberry shortcake biscuits by swapping out regular flour for gluten-free flour. They taste just as delicious!
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin 📌
Our readers love this recipe!
Take it from our readers – they are loving our strawberry shortcake recipe! Here’s what they’re saying:
This recipe was delicious! I followed the directions exactly and it turned out perfectly!”Amanda
Excellent recipe..I used strawberry cheesecake Greek yogurt as a substitute for the plain yogurt and it just gave a richer strawberry flavor!Diana
So easy to make. It was delicious. I will be making again but will try with different fruits. 🍓🍓😋😋♥♥Rochelle
I added lemon zest to the batter, it was soooo goooood!! Smelled amazing and tasted better then any shortcake I ever tried. Definitely a keeper. 🍓🍨Vera
Absolutely amazing! Never been the biggest fan of strawberry shortcake, but I was looking to bake something new and I cannot stop eating this! Super simple, quick, and tasty. 10/10 would recommend!Emma
Thank You so much for the recipe, these are amazing ‼️‼️‼️ ‼️‼️ l doubled the recipe and made them a bit bigger (2 sheets of 6 to a ½ sheet size (13 x 18 )baking sheet) yielding 12 shortcakes. I didn’t have yogurt so I used full fat sour cream.
They are so tender but hold together very well not crumbly like a biscuit at all. 😍
Well, these hold up so well to the strawberries, I have to say the shortcake is the BEST SHORTCAKE BISCUIT I HAVE EVER HAD/MADE‼️ It has a very nice flavor on its own too. I will ALWAYS make it in the future!!! 😀Diane
Check out our Strawberry Shortcake Web Story!
Homemade Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Shortcake Biscuit Dough Recipe
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup butter cold
- ½ cup yogurt plain
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling the top of shortcakes
Strawberry Shortcake Filling Ingredients
- 1 pound strawberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Whipped Cream Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
How to Make the Strawberry Shortcake Filling
- Cut off the tops of the strawberries and dice the berries into bite-size pieces. Toss with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.Take a wooden spoon and press lightly until you have slightly crushed strawberries. This way the flavor of the strawberries bursts in your mouth when you take a bite. Refrigerate until ready to use or at least an hour before serving.
How to Make Biscuit Dough for Shortcakes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.Add 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, ¼ cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, and ¼ teaspoon salt to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Cube ⅓ cup cold butter and add to the flour mixture. Toss to coat all the butter pieces with flour, and rub the butter into the flour until coarse crumbs form. Work quickly so the butter doesn’t melt.
- Mix 1 large egg, ½ cup plain yogurt, 3 tablespoons milk, and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract in a small bowl. Beat to combine.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the liquid to it. Mix with a spatula until a wet dough is formed.
- Use a 2 oz. ice cream scoop to portion the dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. This will give you 8 shortcakes. Sprinkle the top with plenty of turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 400°F for 17 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer shortcakes onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Making Homemade Whipped Cream
- Chill a mixing bowl and the whisk attachment of your mixer in the refrigerator for about 15-30 minutes. You may also use an electric hand mixer.Add 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract to the chill mixing bowl, then mix on medium-high speed until it forms stiff peaks.
Assembling the Shortcakes
- To assemble the shortcakes, cut the shortcakes in half like a burger bun with a serrated knife. Add a generous spoon of whipped cream, then juicy strawberries. Replace the top portion fo the biscuit and enjoy right away!
- When cutting the butter into the flour for the homemade strawberry shortcake biscuits, you can use a pastry cutter so you don’t have to get your hands covered in flour.
- However, if you don’t have a pastry cutter, don’t run out and buy one! I always use my hand to cut the butter in when making these homemade strawberry shortcake biscuits. I find it to be quicker and more effective. Only work with the tips of your fingers and work quickly to avoid melting the butter. Cold butter is key when making biscuits of any kind.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with a spatula or wooden spoon. The batter will be very wet. To keep the biscuits soft and moist, avoid adding more flour.
- The best way to divide this batter is with an ice cream scoop. I love my ice cream scoop.
Photography by Trang Doan.