Everybody knows that the Irish are big on potatoes and they feature in many of Ireland’s traditional dishes. These Irish Cheddar Potatoes with Lamb are not only a quick and tasty Weekday Supper but with the addition of parsley pesto, you’ve got your added green for St. Patrick’s Day. Use real Irish cheddar for more authenticity.
This recipe was first published in full on the blog Cooking Chat. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
- 8 medium red potatoes
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1¼ pound ground lamb
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup parsley
- Salt to taste
- Handful baby spinach
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Rinse the potatoes. Peel half of them, scrub the skins of the the other four potatoes. Chop into 4 of 5 chunks per potato.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the chopped potatoes to the water. Boil for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- As the potatoes boil, make a quick parsley pesto by adding the garlic, ½ cup olive oil and parsley to a food processor, pulse to combine.
- Next, heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. When heat, add the lamb, salt to taste and gradually break the lamb up with a sturdy slotted spoon, stirring occasionally. The lamb will take approximately 10 minutes to cook through.
- The potato should be finished cooking as the lamb finishes. Drain the potatoes, and mash the potatoes with the milk and butter. Adjust the butter and milk quantities as needed to get the potatoes to the consistency you like them. When they are mashed nicely, stir in ½ cup of the cheese and salt to taste.
- Plate a scoop of the mashed potatoes. Use the slotted spoon to scoop out some cooked lamb from the skillet, letting the excess fat drain through the spoon before serving the lamb over the potatoes. Top the lamb with a tablespoon of parsley pesto, then sprinkle some of the extra cheddar over the top. Sláinte!
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.