Kimchi pancakes – Kimchi Jun – are a classic Korean dish and are the way to go for a quick meal during the busy holiday season. You can also make a large batch to freeze now and enjoy later! This recipe was first published in full on the blog kimchi MOM. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
Kimchi and Sausage Pancakes (Kimchi Jun)
- 1 cup cabbage kimchi drained and chopped
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup ice water
- 6 ounces pork sausage
- 2 green onions thinly sliced crosswise
- Cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Blot the drained kimchi with a paper towel to soak up the excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, flour, sugar, and enough ice water until the consistency is that of thick pancake batter.
- Add the sausage to the batter, crumbling it as you add it to the bowl. Add the kimchi and green onions. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons cooking oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil starts shimmering, scoop about a 1/2 cup of the batter to the skillet, spreading it to make it as thin as possible to about a 6-inch diameter. Cook until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip and cook until done, about another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- You can eat it as-is or serve it with a simple dipping sauce of 2 parts soy sauce to 1 part white vinegar or rice vinegar.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
And sign up for our newsletter to get great recipes delivered right to your inbox!