Prep these rice bowls on the weekend and enjoy delicious lunches or dinners all week long with our Chicken Fajita Meal Prep Bowls! Made with chicken breast, lots of veggies, and brown rice, you’ll feel good about having these healthy rice bowls prepped and ready for your family to enjoy.
These chicken fajita bowls are a delicious way to enjoy Mexican food at home, or when you’re on the go. If you love steak tacos, chicken enchiladas, or shrimp burritos – then you should definitely give these fajita bowls a try. They’re a lot healthier than Mexican take-out, and you’ll love how much flavor is packed into each bite.
How to Make Chicken Fajita Meal Prep Bowls
Meal Prep is the process of planning and preparing meals ahead of time. By prepping your meals on the weekend it helps relieve the stress of your busy week. Meal prep bowls are PERFECT to take to work for an easy and budget-friendly lunch, or save them for dinners throughout the week. I love knowing a healthy dinner is ready and waiting to just reheat and eat. These chicken fajita meal prep bowls are quick and easy to prep on the weekend, and they are packed with flavor too, so the family LOVES them!
To get this recipe started, first whisk together the marinade ingredients. For this recipe, we’re using:
- Olive oil
- Lime juice & zest
- Chilli powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
Then cut the chicken breasts in thin slices, add to the marinade, cover and refrigerate. You can marinade the chicken for up to 4 hours for lots of flavor. But even if you just marinate while you cut up the veggies and cook the rice – it’ll still be delicious.
Then cook the rice, and slice the veggies. I used 3 bell peppers – one each of red, yellow and orange, and 1/2 of a sweet onion. I’m not a huge onion person, so feel free to use a whole onion if you prefer.
Once you’re ready to cook the chicken, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Then add in the marinated chicken (you can discard the extra marinade) and cook while stirring/flipping over the chicken.
Remove the chicken from the pan, and cook the peppers and onion until tender but still crispy. Add back in the chicken to let the flavors really come together, and then you’re ready to go.
Assemble the Meal Prep Bowls
Divide the rice between each bowl, and top with the chicken and veggies. You can customize these chicken fajita meal prep bowls however you like.
- Garnish with cilatro
- Add a squirt of lime juice
- Top with guacamole, sour cream or salsa
- Add in some black beans or sweet corn
- Top with a little grated cheese
- Or even drizzle with hot sauce if that’s your thing.
You can also swap brown rice for quinoa or white rice if you prefer. However you choose to serve these chicken fajita meal prep bowls – you’ll love how easy and flavorful the recipe is. Meal prep recipes definitely don’t need to be boring, and these fajita bowls are the perfect way to enjoy Mexican food.
For more rice bowl recipes, make sure to try these other favorites:
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Sign up for our newsletter to get FREE Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Chicken Fajita Meal Prep Bowls
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 1.5 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast boneless skinless
- 3 large bell peppers
- 1/2 sweet onion use a whole onion if you prefer
- cilantro and limes for garnish
- In a medium bowl whisk together the ingredients for the marinade.
- Cut the chicken into thin slices, and add to the marinade. Mix the chicken around so it's covered in the marinade. Then cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours or while you make the rice and prep the veggies.
- Make the rice according to the package instructions and set aside.
- Thinly slice the peppers and onion.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the chicken (discard the extra marinade), and flip the chicken occasionally until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Drain/wipe any excess liquid from the skillet.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, add in the onion and peppers and stir fry until tender but still crunchy.
- Add back in the chicken back into the skillet and toss until warm and the flavors mix together.
- To assemble, divide the rice between 4 to 6 bowls/containers. Add the chicken and peppers overtop. Garnish with cilantro and lime slices, or however you prefer.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.