Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Peanut butter cookies are one of the most versatile kinds around because they lend themselves to experimentation. Sure, we can all add chocolate chips but I wanted to bake one that I had not previously seen: Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookies!
I have been known to take a spoonful of peanut butter, pile some marshmallows on top and eat it just like that, so it was not a huge stretch to figure out what I was going to make for today’s #CookieJar post. All that was left to decide were the individual components.
Marshmallows melt when baked. I did not choose to use them because I wanted these cookies to be recognized for what they are and not be confused with a good ol’ fashioned peanut butter cookie. Marshmallow fluff, on the other hand, does not disappear in the oven so it became the perfect option.
People are funny when it comes to the peanut butter they use for cookie dough. Some insist that creamy peanut butter must be used while others know with confidence that crunchy is the way to go. I went with creamy peanut butter but if you are a diehard crunchy fan, by all means, go for it.
The last hurdle was making sure that the Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookies would not be too sweet. What I, very happily, discovered was that the balance of the two key ingredients ensures that the flavors work harmoniously together.
Yet, I must admit, that when I took my first bite I felt a bit like kid in a candy store. These cookies could almost be categorized as candy but with the pizzazz of a cookie.
Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookies
- 1¼ cups 166 grams all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon 2 grams baking powder
- ½ teaspoon 4 grams salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup 261 grams peanut butter
- ¾ cup 169 grams light brown sugar
- ½ cup 106 grams sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon 4 grams vanilla extract
- 1 cup 111 grams marshmallow fluff
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place the butter, peanut butter, light brown sugar and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat until light and fluffy, about three minutes, scraping the bowl down as needed.
- Add the egg followed by the vanilla.
- Blend in the dry ingredients.
- Remove from the mixer and fold in the marshmallow fluff.
- Do not overdo, as you want to see the marshmallow fluff rather than have it blended in to the dough.
- Use a medium cookie dough scoop (½ tablespoon) to form the balls, placing them on the baking sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes, rotating the pans front to back and top to bottom halfway through. Remove from the oven and cool on the pans.
Sign up for our Sunday Supper newsletter to get great recipes delivered right to your inbox !