After a long day of surf and sun in the Algarve, on the southern coast of Portugal, we were starving. The smoky aroma of a charcoal grill wafted through the open windows of our car, making all our tummies rumble. With a decisive turn of the wheel, my husband pulled up along side the ramshackle hut. We claimed a rickety table where we could watch the grizzled grill guy do his thing. He had a basin of whole chickens, which were split open at the backbone, marinating in spicy piri piri sauce. His grill was a simple mesh grate over a huge brick pit filled with glowing charcoal. As he cooked the chickens, he basted them liberally with more piri piri sauce. Best chicken we ever put in our mouths. Seriously.
Many times since that holiday almost 23 years ago, I’ve made piri piri sauce and used it to marinate and baste a variety of meats. Our favorite is chicken, followed closely on by whole fish. The aroma of piri piri sauce being licked by flames from an open charcoal fire is always a great reminder of a beautiful country and a wonderful family holiday in Portugal.
This week our Sunday Supper tastemakers are sharing recipes for summer grilling, for everything from appetizers through desserts, cooked on outdoor or indoor grills or grill pans. We have something you’ll be able to make and enjoy, no matter your local weather. Many thanks to Sue of Palatable Pastime for hosting this great theme. Make sure you scroll down to see all of the recipes we are sharing.
- 2.5 oz or 70g hot chili peppers
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup or 60ml fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup or 120ml apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon flakey sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups or 355ml extra virgin olive oil
Cut or pull the stems off of your chili peppers.
Put the peppers, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar and salt in your blender.
Blend until until you achieve a homogenous liquid, occasionally scraping the inside of the blender down.
Add in the olive oil and blend again.
Piri piri sauce makes an excellent marinade for chicken, pork, fish or shrimp. Use more piri piri sauce for basting as you grill the meat and fish.
Marinate chicken and pork for at least one hour or even overnight. Seafood should be marinated only 20-30 minutes before grilling.
Needing inspiration for your backyard barbecue this summer? Here’s what our Sunday Supper tastemakers have been grilling:
- Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Let’s Get This BBQ Started!
- Bruschetta with Grilled Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa by Taste And See
- Grilled Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Cream by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
The Main Event
- Bison Sliders with Special Sauce by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak by Books n’ Cooks
- Buffalo Wing Burger by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chicken Mazatlan by Palatable Pastime
- Greek Lamb Burgers by Positively Stacey
- Grilled Avocado with Confetti Shrimp Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Shrimp Corn Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction by Monica’s Table
- Grilled London Broil Steak Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Pork and Pineapple Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Ribeye with Simple Spice Rub by Cooking Chat
- Grilled Salami Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Orange Tomato Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Strawberry Mango Salsa by simple and savory
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops by My World Simplified
- How to Grill Salmon and Shrimps in Banana Leaves by Asian In America
- Lemon Herbed Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Ever!! by A Day in the Life on the Farm
On a Side Note
- Easy Garlicky Grilled Polenta by She Loves Biscotti
- Easy Grilled Artichokes by April Golightly
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Cantaloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs by Cooking With Carlee
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad by Cookin’ Mimi
Saucy Sentiments and Rebellious Rubs
- Homemade Burger Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Coffee Steak Rub by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Grilled Banana Boats by Our Good Life
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Dessert Pizza by Baking Sense
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Sorbet by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Super Simple Grilled Peaches by And She Cooks
Plus Piri Piri Sauce and Recipes for Summer Grilling from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.