We all have that easy dish that we can whip up after an exhausting day and it still tastes like we spent hours in the kitchen.
At our house, it is Portuguese Pork and Chorizo.
My grandmother made this dish and she always added clams to it. I loved it made that way. The combination of the pork, chorizo and clams is out of this world. The Portuguese love to mix meat and seafood in their dishes. I most often take out the clams because I am usually in a hurry and also because there may or may not be someone in our home who doesn’t love clams as much as I do.
The chorizo is the superstar here and a little bit goes a long way. The sauce infused with the flavor of chorizo and garlic could be a meal in itself. The best part about this meal is that it cooks up in no time at all. The cubes of pork don’t take much time at all and when mixed with garlicky wine sauce, you could fool your guests that you were cooking for hours.
I usually purchase a pork loin and ask my butcher to trim the fat and cube it for me. Did you know many grocers will do this at no charge? I tend to make nice with my butcher so he will cut the pork to my exact specifications. Remind me to add him to my Christmas list this year.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds pork cubes
- 2 small Spanish or Portuguese chorizo (3.5 ounces) sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 cup of white wine
- Parsley, optional
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large chefs pan and saute the chorizo until crispy.
- Add the pork and brown on all sides. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and paprika and saute for approximately 2 minutes until well blended.
- Add the bay leaves and cook for three more minutes.
- Stir in wine and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for approximately 20 minutes
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve over Portuguese Rice.
Another great tip is this new All-Clad NS1 Nonstick Induction Chef’s Pan with lid. I love cookware that makes my life easy and can tell you this is one of those must have items for the busy household. All-Clad NS1 high-performance cookware combines the impressive heating abilities of anodized aluminum, a rugged three-layer PFOA-free nonstick interior and induction-compatible steel bases. It is also priced really well at $99.95. Here are some of my favorite features:
- 12″ diam., 4 1/2″ high.
- Durable hard-anodized aluminum provides rapid heat conduction with precise temperature control.
- Bonded three-layer nonstick system delivers unparalleled release, scratch-resistance and durability.
- PFOA-free nonstick coating is ideal for healthy, low-fat cooking with easy cleanup.
- Sturdy stainless-steel base prevents cookware from warping, protects stovetops from scratches and ensures compatibility with induction ranges.
- Tight-fitting stainless-steel lid helps circulate heat and moisture.
- Flared rim facilitates precise, drip-free pouring.
- Dishwasher safe.
The NS1 Collection is available exclusively at Williams-Sonoma retailers and www.williams-sonoma.com.
Here is the best part. I am so enjoying this pan that I am giving away one to one of my followers so you can try it out for yourself. All you have to do is tell me your favorite easy recipe that fools everyone into thinking you worked for hours in the kitchen and subscribe to our newsletter below. One winner will be randomly chosen on Nov. 16, 2015. The giveaway is open to USA residents only.
Disclosure: All-Clad provided me with the NS1 Nonstick Induction Chef’s Pan and sponsored the giveaway.