Potato Patty Grilled Cheese Bites pair toasted potato patties with melty sharp cheddar in appetizer size. Put them out at your next party and see how quickly they disappear.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are comfort food at our house and possibly the one thing you can count on that we always have the ingredients to make. Our recipe is simple. Bread, butter and cheddar – the sharper, the better. They are one of our favorite meals, especially when served with some tomato soup for dipping.
Now, you might say, why mess with a classic, and I am sure my younger daughter would agree. Her motto is everybody loves plain things. But in honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, our tastemakers are sharing their favorite Sunday Supper recipes for gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. Let me repeat that, gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches.
I handle these challenges in a variety of ways. In this case, I took myself off to my nearest grocery store – a French chain that has its own pretty decent in-house bakery – and examined my bread choices. Then I meandered over to the deli counter, which is equally well stocked with French and other imported cheeses. Finally, I took a turn through produce, checking out the herbs and whatnot. I just wasn’t feeling it.
The truth is, and my family will back me up, I’m not a big bread eater. I love a buttered slice of a crusty loaf straight out of the oven but most burgers have way too much bun for me. I end up taking them apart and just eating the insides towards the end. My family – all bread lovers – think I’m weird.
I pondered the problem and the solution hit me. What’s a good kind of starchy that isn’t bread? Potatoes! I love potatoes! So, happy National Grilled Cheese Month to you! These potato patty grilled cheese bites are my contribution.
- 1¾ lbs or 790g waxy Idaho® potatoes
- Fine sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium egg
- Generous handful chopped herbs of your choice – I am a fan of green onion tops with potatoes.
- 3 oz or 85g extra sharp cheddar – or your favorite cheese
- Peel the potatoes and cut into them chunks. Boil them until just fork tender, then drain and leave to air dry in the hot pot for a few minutes.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Now mix in the egg and the chopped herbs until both are completely incorporated.
- Use a scoop or a tablespoon to divide the potatoes into about 26 pieces. I used a 2-tablespoon cookie dough scoop and got 27.
- Cover with cling film and chill for a couple of hours.
- Use damp hands to form the pieces of potato into patties. Optional: use the edge of a rubber spatula to pat the patties into square-ish shapes. This is totally unnecessary but I thought it made them look more like toast.
- Slice your cheese thinly and set aside.
- Put a non-stick griddle to heat over a medium flame. If your griddle is on the older side (and not as non-stick as it used to be), you might want to drizzle on a little canola or olive oil.
- Put the patties a few at time on the griddle, making sure to leave enough room to get a spatula in to turn them.
- Cook on the first side for several minutes or until the bottom is nicely browned.
- Carefully turn the patties over and cook the other side till browned.
- Add the cheese to half of the patties and put the other half of the patties on top. Since the patties are hot, it will take just a minute or so for the cheese to melt.
- Remove them to a platter and add the next batch of patties to the griddle. Repeat process until all the potato patty grilled cheese bites are done. Garnish with more chopped herbs, if desired.
How have you been celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month? Can I suggest that you make a few of these delicious Sunday Supper recipes before May is upon us? I know I’m going to! Many thanks to our fabulous event manager Em and our host today, Christie of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures.
Sunday Supper Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
Not Your Average ‘Wiches
- Inside Out BBQ Ribs Grilled Cheese by The Freshman Cook
- Mozzarella Stick Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Patty Grilled Cheese Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Ramen Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
Protein Filled ‘Wiches
- Avocado Bacon Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Crazed Mom
- Bacon Cheddar Grilled Chip Butty by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Dill Havarti and Salmon by My World Simplified
- Grilled Liz Lemon Sandwich by Cricket’s Confections
- How to Make Reuben Paninis by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Shrimp and Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Sprinkles and Sprouts
Sweet and Savory ‘Wiches
- Applewood Gouda and Pear Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bacon, Apple, Brie Panini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Monte Cristo with Fresh Blackberry Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
Veggie Loaded ‘Wiches
- Apricot Poblano Grilled Cheese Sandwich by My Life Cookbook
- Arugula Basil Pesto Grilled Cheese by Helpful Homemade
- Caprese Grilled Eggplant Roll Ups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Brie With Smoky Portobellos and Caramelized Onions by Simple and Savory
- Banana FluffaNutella Grilled Cheese by Soulfully Made
- Strawberry French Toast Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- The Ultimate Doughnut Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.