These cake-like Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies are full of all the warm spices you expect from a Fall treat. Plus melty chunks of chocolate! Even novice bakers will enjoy success with this simple pumpkin recipe.
Well, my kids aren’t back in school yet and the temperatures haven’t significantly dropped but it feels like Fall. Why? Because I baked this simple pumpkin recipe. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth and baking doesn’t come naturally to me, so most of the year, I outsource our baked goods. Leave it to the pros.
However, once a year, usually starting around mid-August or early September I go on a baking binge. I can’t tell you how happy this makes my sugar-loving kids. And it makes me happy too. My joy comes less from eating the treats than from the scents wafting through the apartment as they bake. Inhaling those strains of cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and chocolate makes me feel safe. Protected. Optimistic.
Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies – a simple pumpkin recipe
Because my baking experience is limited I have to start simple, otherwise I’ll get discouraged. If that happens, my baking spree will end abruptly and my kids will be severely disappointed. There can’t be any complicated techniques involved or recipes with a gajillion steps. For example this Triple the Love Apple Cake and an Easy Blackberry Apple Crumble are just my speed.
That said, they also have to be worth the effort. Baking takes a lot out of me. I am, what you could call, a Helicopter Baker. I have little faith in my skills so I hover around the oven, constantly turning that little light on and off, just in case something goes very very wrong. So if I manage to avert disaster, the end result had best pay off.
I’m happy to report these Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies fit all my stringent baking criteria. A simple pumpkin cookie recipe that permeates the home with comforting scents and results in smiling children. My confidence is so bolstered I feel ready to move on to something slightly more challenging. Maybe this Chocolate Chip Amaretto Torte? Or perhaps this Classic Carrot Cake?
But my kids would be thrilled if I just made these Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies week after week.
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Sign up for our newsletter to get FREE Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup pumpkin canned, pure; NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks 11.5 ounces
Preheat oven to 375 F and place rack in the center. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder. Make sure there are no lumps. Set aside.
Beat the pumpkin, egg, sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt in a mixing bowl until thoroughly mixed. Add the flour mixture until it's just mixed in. Stir in most of the chocolate chips, leaving some to put on top of cookies. (The mixture might look looser than traditional cookie dough, but don't worry. It's supposed to be that way.)
Drop rounded Tablespoonfuls of dough about 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. (The cookies will not spread too much.) Press a chocolate chunk or two into the top so that they will show after the cookies are done.
Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
20+ More Simple Pumpkin Recipes
Meals, Sides, and Snacks
- Autumn Harvest Pumpkin Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Pumpkin Chia Pudding by Cricket’s Confections
- Chocolate Pumpkin Pastry Twists by Caroline’s Cooking
- Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Miso Broth with Roast Pumpkin and Noodles by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Walnut Streusel by Baking Sense
- Pumpkin Kugel by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Monkey Bread Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pumpkin Mug Muffin by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Shrub by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese Rolls by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Roasted Pumpkin Apple Bacon Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Savory Pumpkin with Red Onion Garlic and Coconut by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- No Bake Paleo Pumpkin Bites by Bites of Wellness
- Pumpkin Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding by The Freshman Cook
- Pumpkin Cupcakes by NinjaBaker.com
- Pumpkin Hand Pies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Pumpkin Pot Au Creme by Cooking On The Ranch
- Traditional Pumpkin Pie by Palatable Pastime
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies by Sunday Supper Movement