These cake-like Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies are full of all the warm spices you expect from a fall treat. Plus melty chunks of chocolate! Even novice bakers will enjoy success with this simple pumpkin recipe.
Well, my kids aren’t back in school yet and the temperatures haven’t significantly dropped but it feels like Fall. Why? Because I baked this simple pumpkin recipe. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth and baking doesn’t come naturally to me, so most of the year, I outsource our baked goods. Leave it to the pros.
However, once a year, usually starting around mid-August or early September I go on a baking binge. I can’t tell you how happy this makes my sugar-loving kids. And it makes me happy too. My joy comes less from eating the treats than from the scents wafting through the apartment as they bake. Inhaling those strains of cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, and chocolate makes me feel safe. Protected. Optimistic.
Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies – a simple pumpkin recipe
Because my baking experience is limited I have to start simple, otherwise, I’ll get discouraged. If that happens, my baking spree will end abruptly and my kids will be severely disappointed. There can’t be any complicated techniques involved or recipes with a gajillion steps. For example, this Triple the Love Apple Cake and an Easy Blackberry Apple Crumble are just my speed.
That said, they also have to be worth the effort. Baking takes a lot out of me. I am, what you could call, a Helicopter Baker. I have little faith in my skills so I hover around the oven, constantly turning that little light on and off, just in case something goes very very wrong. So if I manage to avert disaster, the end result had the best pay off.
I’m happy to report these Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies fit all my stringent baking criteria. A simple pumpkin cookie recipe that permeates the home with comforting scents and results in smiling children. My confidence is so bolstered I feel ready to move on to something slightly more challenging.
But my kids would be thrilled if I just made these Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies week after week.
Love pumpkin recipes?
Try these for more servings of pumpkin…
- Pumpkin Crunch Recipe
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Cream Cheese Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
- No Bake Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Balls
- Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe with Spiced Pumpkin Frosting
- Pumpkin Cobbler with Spiced Butter Toffee
- Easy Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
- Starbucks Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Waffle Recipe
- Sweet Pumpkin Recipes
- Simple Pumpkin Recipes
- Savory Pumpkin Recipes
- Harry Potter Pumpkin Juice Recipe
Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup pumpkin canned, pure; NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil plus 2 Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks 11.5 ounces
- Preheat oven to 375 F and place rack in the center. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder. Make sure there are no lumps. Set aside.
- Beat the pumpkin, egg, sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt in a mixing bowl until thoroughly mixed. Add the flour mixture until it's just mixed in. Stir in most of the chocolate chips, leaving some to put on top of cookies. (The mixture might look looser than traditional cookie dough, but don't worry. It's supposed to be that way.)
- Drop rounded Tablespoonfuls of dough about 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. (The cookies will not spread too much.) Press a chocolate chunk or two into the top so that they will show after the cookies are done.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.