This roasted tomato vinaigrette beef salad sees the sauce do double duty, first as a marinade for the rump steak and then as dressing for the salad itself. That’s a little trick I figured out years ago and take advantage of regularly.
One year, on a holiday to Florida, we were invited to a family member’s house for a barbecue. It had been a crazy day where things got behind schedule so I didn’t have time to prepare anything to take along to put on the grill. But I had a plan.
Most marinades are essentially something acidic, like lemon juice or vinegar, with seasonings and some oil. Just like my favorite vinaigrettes.
En route, we pulled over at a grocery store and I ran in to buy three things: a box of gallon Ziploc bags, some chicken pieces and a bottle of Italian dressing. My husband popped the trunk and helped me open the packages. All the chicken went into one of the gallon bags, along with the salad dressing. After one good shake and a little massaging, we slammed the trunk and were on our way again, chicken marinating in a cooler. By the time we had arrived and the grilling started, the chicken was perfectly marinated.
A good vinaigrette still one of my favorite ways to marinade meat.
This week our Sunday Supper tastemakers are sharing salad recipes that can be a whole meal. Adding protein like beef or cheese or both, is a great way to make a simple salad into a meal that keeps you from feeling hungry again in half an hour.
Are you ready to make Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette Beef Salad?
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Sign up for our newsletter to get FREE Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 large ripe tomato cut into six wedges 278g
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or olive oil
- 1/4 cup or 60ml red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup or 120ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz or 340g Certified Angus Beef® rump steak
- 5 oz or 140g cherry-sized mozzarella balls Ciliegine
- 5 oz or 140g grape tomatoes
- Mixed salad greens
Preheat oven to 400°F or 200°C.
Toss the tomato wedges with the bacon fat or oil in a pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven until the tomatoes are slightly scorched and browned all over, about 15-20 minutes.
In a blender, puree the tomato with the vinegar and honey. With the machine running, gradually add the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate in a clean jar until ready to use.
Put the chilled steak in a Ziploc bag and pour in a 1/2 cup or 120ml of the roasted tomato marinade/vinaigrette, making sure to press the air out of the bag so the steak is covered. Leave to marinate for an hour or two in the refrigerator. This can even be done the day before.
Cook the steak over a charcoal grill or in a grill pan to your desired doneness. This will vary depending on the thickness of your steak but shouldn’t take more than a few minutes on each side, if you still want some pink inside.
Remove the rump steak from the heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly.
Spread your washed and dried salad greens over a large plate. Scatter the grape tomatoes and mozzarella ciliegine over the greens.
Add the sliced rump steak, then drizzle with the dressing. Or, if you think you might have leftovers the next day, serve the salad and let everyone drizzle on the vinaigrette on his or her own portion.
Many thanks to Em, our event manager and to our event host, Christie of a Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures, for all of their behind-the-scenes work. Check out these fabulous summer dinner salad recipes!
Sunday Supper Summer Dinner Salad Recipes
Brilliant Beef Salads
- Grilled Greek Steak Cobb with Greek Goddess Dressing by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Grilled Keilbasa and Warm Mustard Viniagrette Salad by Our Good Life
- Healthy Steak Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette Beef Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Southwestern Steak Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Choice Chicken Salads
- BBQ Chicken Salad by Palatable Pastime
- BBQ Chicken Avocado Hemp Seed Salad by Family Foodie
- Caribbean Chicken Quinoa Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Chicken Fried Picnic Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Salad with Orange and Fennel by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chrissy’s Cobb Salad by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Grilled Panzanella Salad with Chicken Sausage by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Rainbow Greek Chicken Salad by Jersey Girl Cooks
Superb Seafood Salads
- Beer Steamed Shrimp Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Crab Salad with Chili, Tomato and Avocado by Monica’s Table
- French Lentil Salad Nicoise-Style with Seared Tuna by Caroline’s Cooking
- Red Camargue and Wild Rice Salad with Tuna by Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Cod and Edamame Salad by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Seared Ahi Tuna Salad with Key Lime-Dijon Vinaigrette by Gourmet Everyday
- Shrimp & Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Vibrant Veggie Salads
- Chopped Greek Salad by Soulfully Made
- Farmers Market Quinoa Salad by And She Cooks
- Iron Chef Morimoto Inspired Salad by NinjaBaker.com
- Kale Guacamole Salad by Pies and Plots
- Kale Superfoods Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Loaded Chopped Salad by Simple and Savory
- Muffuletta Pasta Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread