Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
This Italian Sausage and Kale Pasta bake is the perfect dinner for two! A creamy, cheesy pasta skillet bake, sized just right for two, loaded with Italian sausage and kale is on the table in just 35 minutes!
This delicious dinner for two is simple to make and clean up is a breeze making this recipe one of our favorite Simple Dinner Ideas for Two!
This sausage and kale pasta bake is so perfect for a quick, and easy weeknight dinner for two. My husband and I absolutely love cooking this recipe because it is just so delicious and easy! And it’s made in a skillet, so minimal washing up! Even better.
This Italian sausage and kale pasta bake is bursting with flavor and packed full of the green good stuff to add a little healthier element to it! But I’m not going to lie, didn’t skimp out on the cheese, because life is about balance (and did you see that cheesy shot?!).
It is also the perfect serving for two, meaning minimal waste. It always so easy to overdose on the pasta when you’re trying to cook for two, I’ve made that way easier for you!
Sausage and Kale Pasta Dinner for Two
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ lbs ground Italian sausage
- 4.5 oz diced tomatoes canned
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- ¼ cup basil finely chopped
- 1 cup kale leaves removed from stem
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 basil leaves roughly torn for garnish
- 1 cup penne
- Cook penne according to packet instructions.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil in an oven proof skillet over medium to high heat.
- Add onion, saute 4 – 5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add the ground sausage, and fry until lightly browned. Use your spoon to gently crush up the ground sausage into smaller chunks.
- Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes if using, ¼ cup of chopped basil, kale, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and gently simmer 10 minutes until sauce thickens slightly.
- Strain penne and add to skillet. Stir through.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt and brown slightly.
- Serve with roughly chopped basil.