Happy Pi Day! Here at Sunday Supper, we are fans of all kinds of pie. Today we are sharing a savory recipe from our friends over at Certified Angus Beef® brand, that gorgeous shepherd’s pie pictured below. It’s made with two of our favorite ingredients for Sunday Supper recipes, ground beef (from Certified Angus Beef®, of course!) and Idaho® potatoes!
Recipe courtesy of Certified Angus Beef® brand. We are delighted to share it here for Weekday Supper. Find more of their wonderful #BestBeef recipes at https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/recipes
- 1½ pounds Certified Angus Beef ® ground beef, 90% lean
- 1½ pounds Idaho® potatoes
- 2 medium parsnips (1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon rendered bacon fat or butter
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 carrot, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons medium ground yellow cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Peel potatoes and parsnips. Cut into 1-inch chunks, cover with salted water in a pot and boil until tender.
- In a cast iron skillet, simmer bacon fat, onion, carrot, garlic, rosemary, thyme and oregano for 5 minutes. Add ground beef, increase heat to medium and brown until no pink remains, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire, salt, red pepper, flour and cornmeal; remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pass potatoes and parsnips through a food mill or mash with a potato masher. Stir in butter, sour cream and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired. Top beef mixture with the mashed mixture, spreading evenly and to the edges. Bake until potatoes are golden, about 25 minutes.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
And sign up for our newsletter to get great recipes delivered right to your inbox every Thursday!
More Sunday Supper Recipe Pies for You!
Plus check out this Sunday Supper Recipe event – it’s all about pie with more than 60 sweet and savory pie links from our Sunday Supper tastemakers.
Leave us a comment! What you are baking for Pi Day?