Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Put together the perfect BBQ party menu with the Best Side Dishes for BBQ! Whip up these cookout side dishes, and you’ll have your neighbors wondering what that amazing smell is.
Best BBQ Sides
These side dishes for BBQ are show-stopping meals everyone will rave about. From dishes like super creamy mac and cheese to asparagus fries, these are the sides that make cookout food shine!
Find the best dish to pair with everything from your favorite Ribeye Steak to Pork Ribs. These will be your new favorite BBQ side dish recipes, especially for holidays like Labor Day!
BBQ Mac and Cheese Recipes
Mac and cheese is one of the best side dishes for BBQ! Not only is it so easy to make any way you like, but it’s always a hit.
Macaroni and cheese recipes make the perfect side dishes with barbecue ribs like Korean Braised Short Ribs or Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs. It’s also a great accompaniment for pulled pork or BBQ chicken!
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese: Super creamy and easy to make, with a unique nutty flavor!
- Ina Garten Mac and Cheese: The best macaroni and cheese recipe, period. Super creamy and delicious, with a bread crumb topping and fresh tomatoes.
- Bacon Macaroni and Cheese: How do you make mac and cheese even better? It’s no secret. Add bacon!
BBQ Vegetables Side Dishes
Veggies of all kinds make great barbecue sides. Some of our favorites are air fryer vegetables, while others you can make in your oven, on your stove-top, or even on the grill!
Classic BBQ Vegetables
- The Best Elote Recipe – Elotes Mexicanos: Elotes Mexicanos is a Mexican street corn dish that pairs well with everything BBQ. We love it with steak, ribs, chicken, pork… literally everything!
- Blistered Shishito Peppers: These mild Japanese peppers are a must-try on your BBQ party menu. Our advice? Char them on the grill! And don’t forget that citrus pesto dip. It’s amazing!
- Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions: Caramelized onions and mushrooms are perfect for topping a Mushroom Swiss Burger but are great with barbecue steak, too.
Air Fryer BBQ Vegetables
- Air Fryer Asparagus Fries: Fried asparagus is the perfect side for BBQ steak, burgers, or chicken, and in your air fryer, it couldn’t get any easier!
- Air Fryer Mushrooms: We love our air fryer for a lot of reasons, and one of those reasons is air fryer mushrooms. Trust us – they are amazing. Crispy, flavorful, and perfect for dipping!
For a low-carb vegetable side dish with a great dipping sauce, try our Bang Bang Cauliflower Bites!
Potatoes are the food to make when it comes to barbecue side dishes. There are so many different kinds of BBQ potatoes you can make!
Some of our favorites can even be thrown on the grill with your entrees, like foil pack potatoes with steak foil packs or foil pack salmon.
Roasted Potatoes, Fries, and Cheesy Potatoes
- Grilled Potatoes: The best grilled potatoes recipe ever! Grill them up right next to your entree recipes.
- Foil Pack Potatoes: Foil packet potatoes are an easy, toss-it-on-the-grill recipe. The buttery herb and garlic dressing is so delicious!
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries: Who doesn’t love French fries as a BBQ side dish? These air fryer frozen French fries make it even easier to cook up your favorite fries. With sriracha fry sauce and garlic parmesan fry seasoning, these are a must!
- Baked Crispy Potato Wedges: This super easy potato wedges recipe bakes in your oven until perfectly crispy. These are the ultimate steak fries!
Mashed Potatoes Recipes for BBQ
- Easy Mashed Potatoes in Instant Pot: Make mashed potatoes in no time in your Instant Pot! This easy mashed potatoes recipe is perfect for a barbecue.
- How to Make Creamy Mashed Potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes make one of the best sides for a cookout. Try with slow cooker beef gravy!
Salad for BBQ
Potato, pasta, and vegetable salads all make great BBQ salads! Salads pair well with all cookout foods, but we especially enjoy them as side dishes with barbecue chicken and steak.
- Fresh Vegetable Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing: A classic vegetable salad with delicious creamy balsamic dressing and radish coins!
- Zesty & Sweet Orange and Fennel Salad: Orange and fennel salad is one of the best salads for BBQ you will ever try. The oranges and fennel make it a perfect pair for pork.
- Tomato Cucumber Feta Salad: Tomato Cucumber Feta Salad is always a great choice for a cookout. Serve it with steak or chicken!
Vegetable salads are a great pair for slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches!
- Watermelon Basil Salad: This fresh, summery salad is made even better with its balsamic glaze dressing! Its fruity flavors make it a wonderful choice for warmer weather.
- Grilled Peach Salad: Grill the peaches for this grilled peaches salad up with your entree, and it tastes simply amazing. No peaches on hand? Try pineapples instead!
- Broccoli Apple Salad: Broccoli apple salad pairs perfectly with pork or BBQ chicken. It is creamy and so flavorful!
Low Carb and Grain Salads
- Greek Cauliflower Rice Salad: Cauliflower rice salad is a great low-carb option for a cookout. This recipe has all the flavors of your favorite Greek salad with cauliflower rice!
Pair low carb and grain salads with pulled pork flatbreads or smoked turkey!
Pasta Salad for BBQ
- Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad: The vibrant, citrusy flavor of this orzo pasta salad and fresh green vegetables make this one of our favorite salads for BBQ!
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad: All the flavors of a Greek salad, with delicious orzo. It pairs especially well with chicken!
Potato Salad for BBQ
- Easy German Potato Salad with Bacon: German Potato Salad is delicious served cold or warm! With delicious bacon bits mixed in, this is a potato salad recipe you’ll love to have on hand for a cookout.
- Zesty Spanish Potato Salad: Paprika and hard-boiled eggs make this a must-try potato salad. It is zesty, vibrant, and so flavorful!
Foods for your Cookout Menu
Looking for ideas on what to make for your entrees? Here are some of our favorite barbecue recipes to give a try:
- Grilled Picanha Steak
- Air Fryer Pork Ribs
- Portuguese Beef Skewers
- Grilled Chuck Steak
- Grilled Pork Butt
- Corn Ribs
- Smoked Pork Butt
- Peri Peri Chicken
- Baked Buffalo Wings
Burgers are always a winner, too! We have air fryer burgers, loaded burgers with bacon and asparagus, and poached egg burgers that make perfect cookout foods. We even have a bison burger recipe!
And of course, sauces are a must for a cookout. Here are our favorite dips, sauces and salsas:
- Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- How to Make Cheese Sauce
- Remoulade Sauce Recipe (perfect for seafood!)
- How to Make Buffalo Sauce
- Peri Peri Sauce Recipe
- Peach Mango Salsa
Did you try one of these cookout foods? Let us know in the comments below!
📌 Save BBQ Side Dishes for a Crowd on Pinterest
Best BBQ Side Dishes – Spanish Potato Salad
- Mixing Bowl
- Pot to boil potatoes
- Pot to boil eggs
- 8 medium red potatoes
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup Spanish olives
- ⅛ cup fresh chives
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch salt adjust to taste
- 1 pinch pepper adjust to taste
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- Wash and scrub 8 medium red potatoes thoroughly. Cut any damaged or discolored areas from the skin with a knife. Dice the potatoes into bite-size pieces. Mince Spanish olives. Mince fresh chives.
- Place the diced potatoes in a large pot. Add water, making sure it covers the potatoes by 1-2 inches. Add a pinch of salt to the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow the water to come to a high simmer/low boil. Cook potatoes for 10 minutes or until easily pieced with a fork. Drain and set aside.
- Place 4 eggs in a small sauce pan. Cover the eggs with water by 1-2 inches. Bring the water to a boil and let it boil for a full minute. Cover the pan and turn the heat off. Let the pan sit covered on the hot burner for 12 minutes. The eggs should be fully cooked. Drain the hot water and let the eggs cool by running them under cold water or placing in a bowl of ice water. Peel the eggs once they have completely cooled.Cut 3 of the eggs into small pieces and 1 of the eggs into slices for garnish on top of the salad.
For the dressing:
- Add mayo, whole grain mustard, lemon juice, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a small bowl. Stir until completely combined.
- In a large bowl add half of the potatoes, eggs, olives, and chives.
- Drizzle half of the dressing over the ingredients and mix together.
- Repeat with the second half of the ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Garnish the salad with the egg slices, a few extra olives, chopped chives, and a sprinkling of smoked paprika.
- Red Potatoes have the perfect starch for potato salad. Red potatoes are hearty enough to withstand mixing and not crumble.
- Make sure to cut off any blemishes in the potatoes. You want nice fresh potatoes.
- Don’t peel the potatoes for this recipe. No really, it is so much better with the peels. Trust us on this.
- Use more dressing for a creamier texture.
Geoffrey at Spoonabilities says
Thank You for including our Grilled Summer Vegetables in your BBQ Sides listing. Much appreciated!!
Em Beitel says
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to share it! It’s a great recipe!
These all sound yummy! Thanks so much for including my cheddar jalapeno cornbread recipe!
Em Beitel says
Happy to, Raia! Thank you so much!