Our Spiked Mulled Cider is the perfect way to warm up this winter. Apple cider gently spiced with a little kick of brandy will become your go-to winter cocktail recipe for any occasion.
When I lived in New York many years ago, my parents came to visit over the holidays. It was their first visit there, so naturally, we tried to pack in plenty of sightseeing. However, some days were bitterly cold, and I distinctly remember warming up with a cup of warm apple cider in the cafe by the lake in Central Park. It was exactly what we all needed.
While that time we didn’t opt for a spiked version, we have since. Spiked mulled cider makes such a comforting, simple winter cocktail that’s perfect for enjoying yourself on a cold winter’s night, or sharing with others at a party. It’s easy to scale the recipe up or down to meet your needs, and you can change the spirit you use to suit your tastes as well.
Spiked Mulled Cider Recipe Tips
This isn’t a difficult drink to make, but here are a few tips:
- don’t rush it – the flavors from the spices need time to evolve, so let them have it.
- use a few different whole spices rather than a ready-made blend. Whole spices save you getting bits of spice residue in your drink and each spice adds a different flavor which you can adjust to taste.
- use a good apple juice as a base. Our Spiked Mulled Cider is all about the apple, so try to get an unfiltered apple cider/juice as a base. Try to avoid juice from concentrate, it’s just not the same.
- spike it with a spirit that pairs well with apples such as brandy, apple brandy, rum, or spiced rum.
This Spiked Mulled Cider is the perfect winter cocktail recipe to warm you through and through!
Spiked Mulled Cider
- 4 cups apple cider or unfiltered apple juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 strips orange peel
- 4 oz brandy or apple brandy, rum, spiced rum
- Put all of the ingredients except the rum in a small pan and warm over a low heat. Gently bring to almost a simmer and warm for approx 30 minutes without boiling.
- Put 1 oz of brandy in the bottom of 4 glasses and top each up with the warm cider, straining off the spices and orange peel as you go. Serve warm.
- You can also prepare this in the slow cooker. Instead of putting everything apart from the rum in a pot, place all ingredients in a slow cooker and warm on low for approximately 2 - 4 hours. Then serve as above, putting the brandy in the bottom of the glasses as you serve.