Spring vegetable minestrone is the perfect light meal for spring, with tender young vegetables in a clear chicken broth, topped with crème fraîche.
I must confess that I am completely spoiled by the abundance of produce that is available in my groceries stores here in Dubai, both locally grown – yes, there are many farms here in the desert – and imported from everywhere around the world. Because of its central location, Dubai is one flight away from many cities in the United States, Europe, Asia and Africa. Not every store has every item, of course, so one of the challenges is finding what I need when I need it. I try very hard to keep my carbon footprint small by buying local produce whenever possible which has the added selfish benefit of being gentler on my wallet.
In the case of this spring vegetable minestrone, I splurged on the baby vegetables that one supermarket has been bringing in for the last few weeks. They are not only adorable, but so tender and sweet.
- 1/2 cup or 80g dried tiny pasta, like ditalini rigate
- 2 spring carrots
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 small bulb fennel
- 1/2 cup or 75g fresh-hulled peas
- Good handful fine French beans (2 2/3 oz or 75g)
- 2 baby corn on cobs
- 2 baby leeks
- 2/3 cup or 117g canned borlotti beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 1/4 cups or 1L good quality chicken stock
- To serve
- Crème fraîche or lightly soured cream
- Fennel fronds or chopped spring onions to garnish
- Boil your pasta according to package instructions. Rinse and set aside.
- Scrub your carrots and zucchini and cut them into small pieces.
- Cut the stalks off the fennel and keep any fronds for garnish. Thinly slice the bulb.
- Trim the ends of the corn and the dark green off of the baby leeks and then cut them both into pieces.
- Trim the ends of the French beans and cut them into small pieces, on the diagonal.
- Place the vegetables in a soup pot then pour in the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are cooked through, about 5 minutes tops.
- Add in the cooked pasta and beans. Warm through, then ladle into bowls and top each with a dollop of crème fraîche and a sprinkle of chopped fennel fronds or spring onions.
If you are on the hunt for spring recipes, you’ve come to the right place!
- Chicken Sausage, Apple and Cheddar Breakfast Bake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Chive and Cheese Quiche by An Appealing Plan
- Lavender Scones by Feeding Big and More
- Raspberry Lemon Baked Donuts by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Matcha Donuts by The Ninja Baker
- Whole Wheat Lemon Berry Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze by A Mindful Mom
- Artichoke Lemon Hummus by Food Done Light
- Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart by Baking Sense
- Butter Lettuce and Spring Radish Salad by Hardly A Goddess
- Ceviche with Potato and Pea Shoot Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Strawberry Popsicles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Rustic Wrapped Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- An Unconventional Mojito by Monica’s Table
- Caribbean Cream Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cucumber Grapefruit Basil Mojito by The Crumby Cupcake
- Limoncello Raspberry Sangria by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Spiced Rhubarb Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D Books and Cooks
- Vanilla Lavender Limeade by The Tip Toe Fairy
- Very Berry Springtime Spritzer by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Violet Hour by Wholistic Woman
- Cheese Tortellini with Herbed Ricotta and Fava Beans by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gnocchi Primavera with Spring Asparagus and Peas by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Levantine Fattoush Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- One Pan Spicy Lemon Chicken with Tomatoes by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orecchiette with Peas, Pecorino and Onions by Cooking Chat
- Pasta with Peas by Manu’s Menu
- Pesto Shrimp and Zoodles Oh My! by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Ramp and Mushroom Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Spring Lamb Skewers with Roasted Baby Carrots by Food Lust People Love
- Spring Salad with Scallops and Strawberry Vinaigrette by My World Simplified
- Veggie Pasta Primavera by Momma’s Meals
- Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Rhubarb Salad by The Texan New Yorker
- Green Peas with Onion and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- Minty Pea Farro Spring Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Quinoa Pilaf by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Amazing Coconut Cake by A Baking Legacy
- Berry and Honey Whipped Ricotta by Family Foodie
- Caramelized Black Figs and Walnuts with Mascarpone by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Carrot Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Colorado Crème by Cooking on the Ranch
- Honey Blossoms by Get the Good Stuff!
- Hot Milk Sponge Cake by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Lemon Scented Choux with Rhubarb Ginger Pastry Cream by The Finer Cookie
- Meyer Lemon Bars by The Chef Next Door
- No-Bake Berry Greek Yogurt Pie by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Rhubarb Meringue Pie by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spring Cookie Bouquet by The Freshman Cook
- Strawberry Cheesecake Puffs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream by Tramplingrose
- Strawberry Moscato Sorbet by Seduction in the Kitchen
- The Black Beast by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Plus Spring Vegetable Minestrone and more Spring Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.