Stuffed Turkey Cutlets are a fun and attractive way to serve turkey and stuffing. Each person gets their own individual stuffed turkey wrapped in bacon. This recipe is great main dish for a low stress party. No more wondering if the turkey is perfectly done. It is!
Stuffed Turkey Cutlets
For the sausage stuffing:
- 7 1/2 oz sausage 3-4 links
- 6 slices bread toasted and cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 egg
- 10 turkey cutlets approx. weight 2 1/2 lbs or 1135g
- 10 slices smoked bacon
For decoration – optional
- 20 fresh sage leaves
- 10 fresh cranberries
- Remove the sausage from the casing and fry until golden in a skillet, breaking it into crumbles as you go. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon and remove all but a tablespoon of any rendered fat, if need be.
- Add the butter to the frying pan and turn the heat on low. Sauté the onion in the butter until it’s soft and translucent.
- Add the poultry seasoning and mix well.
- Put the cubed bread in and toss the bread around in the buttery onions.
- Add the crumbled fried sausage back in and stir. Now add the broth a little at a time and stir between additions. You may not use quite all, depending on how dry your bread was. You want it moist but not soggy.
- Taste the stuffing then add black pepper, cayenne and salt to taste.
- Transfer the stuffing to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool. Stir it occasionally.
- Meanwhile, put the turkey cutlets, one at a time, between two large pieces of cling film on a cutting board and use the side of your rolling pin or a similar implement to flatten them out. Use new pieces of cling film for each turkey cutlet and set them in a stack, still between the cling film till you’ve pounded them all flat.
- Add the egg to the stuffing and mix well.
- Lay one turkey cutlet on your work surface. Remove the top piece of cling film and discard.
- Put about 1/10th of the stuffing into the middle of the turkey cutlet and fold the sides over to cover it securely. Roll each of the stuffed turkey cutlets up in the bottom piece of cling film and line them up to chill on a plate in the refrigerator as you make them.
- Once they are all made, preheat your oven to 375°F or 190°C.
- Starting with the first stuffed turkey cutlet, remove the cling film and wrap the bundle with one slice of bacon. Secure with toothpicks and place in a large baking pan.
- Continue until the stuffed turkey cutlets have been wrapped with bacon and placed in the pan.
- Roast in your preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and center of the stuffing reaches a safe minimum internal temperature of 165°F or 74°C.
- Of course, the pan drippings can used to make gravy, if desired. Follow this easy instructional video.
- Serve the stuffed turkey cutlets with cranberry sauce and your favorite gravy.
Whether you are hosting your own holiday party or just need recipes for dishes to take along to a potluck dinner, Sunday Supper is here to help.