July is National Hot Dog month and the perfect time to expand your horizons with creative hot dog toppings. Therefore, the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are bringing their most creative hot dog recipes to our virtual table this week so you can do just that. This unique recipe for a Taco Hot Dog is loaded with traditional taco toppings and so full of flavor you just might be tempted to top your hot dogs like this all the time!
Sunday Supper Recipes
Even so we think this Taco Hot Dog wins the creative hot dog toppings race, don’t fence yourself in when it comes to hot dog toppings, because that would be sad when there is such a wide variety of toppings from which to choose! Our Sunday Supper recipes include lots of different options for taking your hot dogs to the next level this summer. Scroll down past our Taco Hot Dog recipe for the complete list of creative hot dog toppings recipes and check out our tips for Creative Hot Dog Toppings.
Taco Hot Dog Recipe Tips
- Use your favorite hot dogs. We recommend a natural casing hot dog for the best crunch and flavor
- Top split hot dog buns are very popular and easily found in the bread aisle of major grocery stores. Top split buns are easy to fill and hold more of those creative hot dog toppings
- Pan frying the hot dogs for this recipe allows the flavors of the toppings to shine through. Additionally, it’s a quick and easy way to cook hot dogs, which is a nice bonus!
- Another great tip is to use the quick and easy recipe for homemade queso we linked in the ingredient list. Homemade queso takes this Taco Hot Dog to a gourmet level, however if you are short on time pick up some nacho cheese dip from the chip aisle at your grocery store
- In addition to homemade queso, we also recommend homemade salsa, but again, if you are short on time pick up your favorite salsa. There’s no shame in that!
We think you’re going to love this Taco Hot Dog as much as we do, because we topped it with our favorite Mexican inspired flavors. Do you have a favorite recipe using creative hot dog toppings? Tell us about it in the comments section below. We love to hear all the different variations and to try new things!
- ¼-1/2 cup water
- 8 hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 hot dog buns, top split
- 1 cup Queso Blanco Dip (more or less to taste)
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 avocado, diced
- Lime wedges
- Freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- Add enough water to a skillet to cover the bottom. About ½ cup, but will vary depending on the size of your skillet. Place hot dogs in the skillet and cook over medium heat until the water evaporates. Add 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet and cook hot dogs until well browned on all sides. When golden brown, remove from heat.
- Place a hot dog into each bun and top with about 1-2 tablespoons of queso, 1-2 tablespoons of salsa, diced avocado, and a squeeze of lime. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and enjoy!
Sunday Supper Creative Hot Dog Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs with Fruit Salsa by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Honey BBQ Hot Dogs by Home Sweet Homestead
- Hot Dog & Hamburger Cowboy Beans by Soulfully Made
- All American Hot Dog by The Freshman Cook
- Banh Mi Hot Dog by Cricket’s Confections
- Buffalo Hot Dogs by The Crumby Kitchen
- Copy Cat Detroit Coney Dogs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Matcha Ochazuke Hot Dog Rice by NinjaBaker.com
- Memphis Hot Dog by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Philly Mushroom Swiss Dog (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Sauerkraut Stuffed Dogs by Gourmet Everyday
- South of the Border Hot Dogs by My Blissful Mess
Tex Mex Dogs
- Chili Cheese Dog Baked Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Burrito Dogs by Our Good Life
- Hot Dog with Chili Sauce by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Taco Hot Dog is Nacho Regular Dog by Sunday Supper Movement
- Hot Dog Breakfast Tacos by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.