Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Healthy Rice Bowls are a great option for lunch or dinner, especially if you already have leftover rice in your fridge. This Tuna Rice Bowl with Yum Yum Sauce is a snap to put together and delivers a one-two punch of flavor. If the teriyaki marinade doesn’t knock you out, the yum yum sauce will. But you won’t mind one bit.
The secret to enjoying healthy rice bowls lies, in part, in the sauce. Because, otherwise, the ingredients are fairly simple. The two sauces involved in this Tuna Rice Bowl are a teriyaki marinade and yum yum sauce.
If you don’t have your own recipe for yum yum sauce lying around (I didn’t) use this recipe for Yum Yum Sauce. It comes together quickly and enhances the flavor of this tuna rice bowl approximately 950%.
This extremely popular mayonnaise-based sauce originated in Japanese Steak Houses but has been adopted by condiment-lovers across the globe. And for good reason.
Tuna Rice Bowl with Yum Yum Sauce
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsps. brown sugar
- 3 tbsps. olive oil
- 2 tbsps. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsps. chicken broth
- 2 tbsps. orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tuna steaks sliced thin
- 4 cups white rice cooked
- 1 cucumber cut julienne style
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- ½ cup Yum Yum sauce
- 1 avocado cut into ½″ cubes
- Combine the first seven ingredients and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove ⅓ cup for basting, cover and refrigerate.
- Pour remaining marinade into large resealable plastic bag and add tuna.
- Refrigerate for up to 1 hour. Drain and discard marinade.
- Grill tuna over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side, basting frequently with reserved marinade.
- Plate rice in bowls.
- Add tuna and cucumber. Sprinkle with green onions, then drizzle with Yum Yum sauce. Top with avocado if desired.