Bite into the fresh flavors of roasted veggies, black beans, and Queso Fresco in our VEGETARIAN TACO RECIPE for two and fall in love all over again!
It is a well-known fact that I love tacos. I make tacos at home on average 1-2 times per week.
One reason for this is that tacos are so versatile! You can alter them to fit your tastes and dietary needs. Tacos can be filled with slow-cooked meat, lightly fried fish, or scrambled eggs for breakfast. You can even make vegetarian or vegan tacos, like this vegetarian taco recipe for two.
I personally love a good vegetarian taco recipe. This Vegetarian Taco Recipe for Two is a healthy weeknight meal that can be whipped up in no time at all! In around 30 minutes, you’ll have a fresh and flavorful meal that’s portioned perfectly for two people.
What is a vegetarian taco?
Vegetarian tacos are extremely versatile taco recipes that include only vegetarian ingredients.
A vegetarian taco recipe may include fresh vegetables, a meat substitute such as tofu or tempeh, or even ‘meaty’ fillings like lentils. It’s a broad category that encompasses all kinds of tasty options!
For this vegetarian taco recipe for two, I went with roasted vegetables like zucchini and bell peppers. You can use any type of vegetable you like. I recommend trying sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, or butternut squash.
How do you make vegetarian taco filling?
Vegetarian taco filling is so easy to make! The vegetables are placed on a baking sheet and roasted in the oven. Roasting the vegetables softens and caramelizes them to bring out their natural sweetness.
- Wash and cut 3-4 small zucchini or summer squash into rounds, then cut the rounds in half.
- Wash and cut 1-2 bell peppers into large chunks. You can use any color bell pepper you like. I used red and orange bell peppers.
- Place the diced vegetables on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle 2 Tbsp. of olive oil over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp. smoked paprika, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. ground cumin, 1 tsp. Adobo seasoning, and 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper (adjust to taste) over the veggies. Toss to coat.
- Spread the vegetables out across two baking sheets if they don’t fit onto one. Do not overcrowd the vegetables, or they will steam and not roast properly.
- Place baking sheet(s) in an oven preheated to 400°F. Roast the vegetables for 20-22 minutes. Stir the vegetables once during the roasting process to prevent them from sticking to the pan.
- Remove baking sheet(s) from the oven once vegetables are roasted. They should be slightly softened and caramelized a bit on the edges.
Are Tortillas Vegetarian?
Most corn tortillas are vegetarian, but it’s always safe to check the label.
Flour tortillas are sometimes made with lard, which means they are not vegetarian. If you want to use flour tortillas, check the label to make sure they don’t contain lard.
Always check labels if you want to be sure an ingredient fits the dietary restriction you’re cooking for.
How to make Vegetarian Tacos for Two
It’s easy to make vegetarian tacos for two! After making your filling, all that’s left to do is prepare the other fillings and assemble the tacos.
- Heat 1 can of black beans, or other beans of your choice (pinto or re-fried beans would also be delicious), on the stove top according to package instructions. I prefer to do this while my vegetables are roasting to save time.
- Chop 1-2 cups of spinach or other leafy greens. Cut 1 avocado into slices. Mince 1/2 cup fresh cilantro.
- Heat tortillas if desired. Place a few spoonfuls of black beans and a few spoonfuls of roasted veggies onto the tortilla. Sprinkle chopped greens, cilantro, and Queso Fresco cheese on top of vegetables. Garnish with avocado, a squeeze of lime, and a dash of hot sauce of your choice.
Can this recipe be doubled to serve more?
This recipe is portioned for two people but can easily be doubled to serve more. And let’s be honest – more tacos are always better, right?
To double the servings of your vegetarian taco recipe for two, simply double up on your ingredients. Prepare as much of the filling as you need for how many people you’re serving and season accordingly. Just remember not to overcrowd your baking sheets!
For example, if you’re feeding four people, double the ingredients used. It’s easy to prepare this vegetarian taco recipe for however many people you want to serve!
What to Serve with Vegetarian Tacos
For me, tacos are all about the toppings and what you serve them with, and these Vegetarian Tacos are no exception! I top my vegetarian tacos with black beans, avocado, hot sauce, and Queso Fresco.
What is Queso Fresco? Queso Fresco is a crumbly Mexican cheese that literally means ‘fresh cheese’. It’s light and semi-salty. Queso Fresco is the perfect cheese to crumble on top of vegetarian tacos because it complements the flavor of the vegetables instead of overwhelming them. You can find Queso Fresco in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores.
Try serving your vegetarian tacos with rice. For example, coconut lime rice makes a delicious side dish for any taco recipe.
Other vegetables, like Mexican street corn, would also make a fitting side for your vegetarian taco recipe for two!
Want to try more vegetarian recipes? Take a look at these vegetarian dinner ideas:
Want more taco recipes, vegetarian or not?
And for more tasty, healthy recipes, try…
Vegetarian Taco Recipe for Two
- 3-4 small zucchini or summer squash
- 1-2 bell peppers any color
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Adobo seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. salt adjust to taste
- 1/8 tsp. pepper adjust to taste
- 1 can black beans or beans of choice
- 1 package tortillas corn or flour
- 1-2 cups spinach or other leafy greens
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup Queso Fresco
- limes and hot sauce optional
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and chop 3-4 small zucchini or summer squash into rounds. Cut the zucchini rounds in half.
- Wash and cut 1-2 bell peppers into large chunks. You can use any color bell pepper you like.
- Place the chopped veggies on a baking sheet. Feel free to use 2 baking sheets if the veggies don't fit onto one pan.
- Drizzle the veggies with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle 1 tsp. smoked paprika, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. ground cumin, 1 tsp. Adobo seasoning, and 1/8 tsp. or so of salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Place the baking sheet(s) in the oven and roast for 20-22 minutes. Stir the veggies once during the roasting process to prevent sticking. Remove the pan(s) once the veggies are roasted and set aside.
- Heat 1 can of black beans (or beans of choice) on the stove top as the veggies are roasting according to package instructions.
- Chop 1-2 cups of spinach or leafy greens. Cut 1 avocado into slices. Mince 1/2 cup fresh cilantro.
- To serve: Heat tortillas if desired. Place a few spoonfuls of black beans and a few spoonfuls of roasted veggies onto tortilla. Sprinkle chopped greens, cilantro, and Queso Fresco cheese on taco. Garnish with avocado, a squeeze of lime, and a dash of hot sauce.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.