Carne Asada Recipe
Make an authentic Carne Asada recipe at home that's perfect for taco night! A simple inspired Mexican marinade with lime juice adds great flavor to this grilled flank steak recipe.
Servings 3 approx
- 1 lb skirt steak or flank steak (top sirloin also works). We recommend Certified Angus Beef® brand.
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic (large, 3 if smaller)
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
Trim any excess fat from the steak and if you prefer, cut into slightly smaller lengths to make it easier to grill.
Put the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in a freezer bag big enough to hold the meat, or container that allows the meat to lay flat.
Mix the marinade ingredients, add the meat and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate to marinade at least 2 hours but less than 8.
When ready to cook, remove from refrigerator a few minutes early to come to room temperature and preheat grill.
Grill for a few minutes on each side until cooked through.
Serve in thin slices - be sure to cut it across the grain.
- This dish is traditionally served with grilled green onions. Simply put on the grill as you cook the beef, then dice them up and serve in tacos with the beef and pico de gallo on top.
- We recommend Certified Angus Beef® brand for best results.
- Make sure to cut against the grain. This will ensure your Carne Asada steak is tender.
- You can marinate the beef in a large plastic bag for easy clean up or in a bowl.
- Grill on high for best results (around 500°F). If you do not own an outdoor grill, you can make Carne Asada in the oven under the broiler.
- Cooking time is an estimate and depends on the thickness of your cut of beef. Use a meat thermometer for best results.
Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 294mg | Potassium: 483mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 40IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 2.8mg