Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
Sausage gravy and biscuits is a classic southern breakfast recipe the whole family will love! This homemade sausage gravy uses sage sausage and steak seasoning for a flavorful, easy gravy recipe perfect for topping fluffy biscuits. You have to try this southern comfort food at least once!
Servings 8 servings
- 1 lb. sage sausage or ground breakfast sausage of your choice
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp. Chicago steak seasoning or steak seasoning of your choice
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- A sprinkle of red pepper flakes optional
Add 1 lb. of sage sausage to a large skillet over high heat. Break up and brown the sausage in the skillet.
Next, stir in 3 Tbsp. of butter. Mix it in well until it’s done melting.
Add ⅓ cup of flour and stir well, until you can’t see the flour anymore.
Gradually add 1½ cups of milk and stir well. Let it cook a minute or two.
Slowly add another 1½ cups of milk and stir well. Let it cook another minute or so, then add 1 Tbsp. maple syrup and 1 tsp. Chicago steak seasoning plus ½ tsp. garlic powder. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Allow it to bubble and thicken until it reduces into a thick gravy. When you can move it around in the pan with your spatula or wooden spoon and it’s so thick it takes a bit to spread back, you know it’s ready!
Serve hot over freshly made biscuits, and enjoy!
- Try serving this biscuits and gravy recipe with eggs over easy, or poached eggs, and a side of bacon for a hearty continental breakfast that'll keep you going all day!
- For an extra kick of flavor, you can add red pepper flakes to your sausage gravy. You can add them while cooking or after, but we recommend adding them after the gravy is done just in case not everyone in your household likes the extra spice.
- Please note, the nutritional value of this recipe is calculated only for the sausage gravy recipe. If you need to see the full nutrition, check the package of your biscuit dough or the nutritional value for your biscuit recipe to see the full nutrition score for this recipe with biscuits.
Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 440mg | Potassium: 267mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 1.1mg