Beer Cheese Dip (Obatzda)
This creamy and flavorful beer cheese dip (also called Obatzda) is an authentic German dip perfect for dipping pretzels, sliced meats, and more.
Servings 12 servings
- 6 oz. Camembert cheese
- 6 oz. spreadable cheese wedges (like Laughing Cow)
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground caraway seeds (optional
- 1/4 cup German wheat beer or beer of choise
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chives, finely chopped, divided
Cut Camembert into pieces and bring to room temperature with spreadable cheese and butter. Make sure all are very soft so they will mix together smoothly.Add the cheeses and butter to a mixing bowl with paprika, caraway seeds, and beer. Use a fork to mix.If possible, refrigerate for a couple of hours to allow flavors to meld.Before serving, fold in diced onion and 1 Tbsp. chives. Add salt and pepper to taste.Garnish with remaining chives.
Serve at room temperature with soft pretzels, fresh bread, pita chips, sliced sausages, etc.
- NOTE: This recipe contains a nominal amount of alcohol. If you would like to make your cheese dip recipe without alcohol, try using a non-alcoholic beer in place of the German wheat beer.
- Serve your beer and cheese dip with a soft pretzel recipe, roasted vegetables, sausage, or crusty bread for dipping. This dip will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Calories: 134kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 201mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 942IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 1mg