Easy Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Creamy, cheesy, and hearty, this Easy Scalloped Potatoes recipe is the perfect side for your next dinner.
Servings 12 servings
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded (divided)
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- salt to sprinkle on potato layers
- 1/2 tsp pepper plus more to sprinkle on potato layers
- 6 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes (or yellow potatoes) peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion sliced (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
Add flour and whisk until a thick paste forms.
Slowly add milk and then heavy cream, whisking until thick and creamy.
Add in cheese, seasoned salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
Place half the potatoes and onions in baking dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover with half of the sauce. Add remaining potatoes and onions with another sprinkle of salt and pepper and top with remaining sauce.
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
Uncover and add a layer of cheese on top. Bake for 10 minutes until melted and a little browned.
Adding a crumb topping: If you want to add a crumb topping to the potatoes, skip the layer of cheese on top at the end and do the following:
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs and cook until golden, stirring constantly.
- Remove from pan immediately so they don't continue to brown in the hot pan.
- Add this to the top of the casserole before baking.
Calories: 254.23kcal | Carbohydrates: 15.66g | Protein: 8.89g | Fat: 17.86g | Saturated Fat: 11.13g | Cholesterol: 58.54mg | Sodium: 369.68mg | Potassium: 451.44mg | Fiber: 2.35g | Sugar: 2.57g | Vitamin A: 633.61IU | Vitamin C: 10.49mg | Calcium: 223.08mg | Iron: 2.99mg