How to Make Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Follow our guide on How to Make Creamy Mashed Potatoes, and you will want to make them for every occasion!
Servings 6 servings
- 2.5 lbs. potatoes cut into small chunks
- ½ stick butter
- 5 Tbsp. salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Chopped green onions for garnish optional
- Additional melted butter for flavor optional
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 5 Tbsp. salt to the pot of boiling water, then bring it back to a boil.
Add potatoes to water and boil for 20 to 25 minutes until tender.
Drain water from the pot. Using a hand mixer on low, whip well until the potatoes are crumbly. Then, add half a stick of chopped butter to your pot with the potatoes.
Continue mixing well until butter is fully mixed through and potatoes are creamy. Slowly add two cups of milk and salt and pepper while whipping.
Add in melted butter if desired. Mix with spoon, then top with green onions if desired, and serve!
- THE KEY TO CREAMY POTATOES: The key to creamy mashed potatoes is in the technique. Starting with the boiled potatoes and whipping them until fluffy, then slowly adding butter and milk, makes the creamiest potatoes.
- IN THE OVEN: For a make-ahead mashed potatoes recipe you can prepare in the oven, follow the directions above. Whisk an egg and brush it on top before baking. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until the top is slightly toasted.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 4887mg | Potassium: 903mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 367IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 2mg