Deep Dish Apple Pie
Get ready for the best apple pie recipe in the world! Deep Dish Apple Pie is an apple pie recipe from scratch with homemade apple pie filling and a very easy pie crust.
Servings 8 People
Apple Pie Crust
- 1 ⅓ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Powdered Sugar or Icing Sugar
- ½ tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 pinch Salt
- ⅓ cup Unsalted Butter at room temperature
- 1 Egg
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. Cold Water if required
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 lbs. Apples (7-8 small apples)
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Lemon, Juice + Zest
- ½ Orange, Juice + Zest
- ¼ cup Cornstarch or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp.. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp.. Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp.. Ground Allspice
- ½ tsp.. Ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp.. Star Anise Powder (optional)
Apple Pie Crust
Place 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flower, 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (or icing sugar), a pinch of salt, and ½ tsp. ground cinnamon in the bowl of your mixer.
Add ⅓ cup unsalted butter cut into small cubes and at room temperature.
With the paddle attachment, mix on low to medium speed until all the butter is evenly integrated. It should look like thick sand or small crumbs. See notes for instructions if you do not have a stand mixer.
Whisk 1 egg in a separate bowl and add it to the other ingredients.
Slowly mix until the dough starts to come together. If you need to (if the dough seems too dry to come together), add a little bit (1 to 2 Tbsp.) of cold water. Don’t overwork the dough!
Divide the dough: Separate about ⅔ and ⅓ of the crust dough.
Roll each piece between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll the larger portion into a large circle and the smaller portion into an oval shape.
Chill for at least 30 minutes to an hour before assembling the apple pie.
Apple Pie Filling
Peel and core 7 to 8 small apples, then cut them into thin slices. I cut each apple into fourths, then again into 5 or 6 total slices. Place them in a large bowl.
Zest and juice ½ a lemon and ½ an orange over the sliced apples.
Add ⅓ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup cornstarch, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1 tsp. ground ginger, ½ tsp. ground allspice, ½ tsp. ground nutmeg, and ½ tsp. star anise powder (if using), and mix well until all the apple slices are evenly covered.
To Assemble the Deep Dish Apple Pie
Line a deep baking dish with the larger rolled crust dough. No need to worry if it hangs over the sides. Prick the bottom with a fork. Optional: sprinkle some semolina flour on the bottom of the crust to absorb juices from the filling and stop the crust from getting soggy.
Stack the apple slices tightly in layers, trying to leave as little room for air pockets as possible. Do not simply pour them into the dish! Pour over any extra juice from the filling after stacking your apple slices.
Whisk 1 egg and 1 tsp. milk to create an egg wash (you can also use water for an egg wash, but I like to use milk). Generously brush the wash over the crust sides and the lattice.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pie in the freezer to set while the oven warms up.
Gently press the edges of the strips against the side of the crust, then roll over any excess crust on the sides.
Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling bubbles. Leave to cool down for 10 to 15 minutes, then enjoy!
- *You do not need a stand mixer: you can make the apple pie crust recipe a few different ways. While I use my stand mixer to make the pie crust, you can use a food processor or even your hands.
- If working with your hands, work quickly so the butter does not get too warm. Mixing with all methods is the same: it’s just a bit easier with a mixer or food processor!
- Make sure to properly stack the sliced apples, and not simply pour them into the dish. You want to make sure that they are nicely packed and don't leave much room for air in between each apple.
Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 27mg | Potassium: 191mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 364IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg