Bolognese Sandwich Pull-Apart Sliders
Bolognese Sandwich Pull-Apart Sliders - soft mini bread rolls filled with a delicious bolognese filling and cheese. The perfect party finger food!
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp. instant yeast
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp. salt
For the Bolognese Sauce
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/2 pound ground beef See note 1
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. red wine
- 7 oz. diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano See note 2
- 1 tsp. dried thyme See note 2
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Pepper to taste
- 24 small slices Gouda cheese
For the topping
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley. finely chopped
In a small saucepan over the lowest heat, melt the butter. Once it has almost all melted, add the water, milk and sugar. Stir until combined and sugar has melted (only about a minute - you just want the mixture to be luke warm, not hot). Turn the heat off and sprinkle yeast over the top, then whisk together well. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes until foamy.
While that is sitting, sift the flour and stir through the salt. Add the milk mixture. Mix together and then knead until smooth and elastic. You can do this by hand for about 10 minutes or in a stand mixer with a dough hook for 5-7 minutes. When the dough is smooth and elastic, place it in an oiled bowl, brush a little oil over the top and cover with plastic wrap. Sit in a warm spot to rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.
To make the beef bolognese sauce
Place a small saucepan over medium heat, add a little oil, then add the onion and garlic and stir until just starting to turn translucent. Add the meat and saute while breaking up with a wooden spoon. Add the red wine and bring it to a simmer before adding the rest of the sauce ingredients (down to the pepper) and mixing well. Simmer for another 5 minutes and remove from the heat. Cool in the fridge until ready.
To assemble the bolognese sandwich sliders
Preheat your oven to 200C / 400F / 180C fan forced. Brush a round baking dish with oil.
Give the risen bread dough a very light knead. Cut the dough into 2 halves, over and over until you have 24 small pieces of dough.
On a floured surface, use a flat bottom dish (also floured) to flatten each piece of dough then, use your thumbs and forefingers to gently pull on the edges (note 4) all the way round until the circle is about 3 inches wide.
Spoon about 1 1/2 teaspoons of bolognese into the center of a dough disk. Top with a square of cheese. Fold in two sides of the dough to meet in the middle. Fold the first open end into the middle in 3 folds the repeat on the other open end. Where all the dough foods meet in the middle press them together with your fingers. Flip the ball over and place it in your prepared dish. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. Let them sit for 10 minutes before baking for around 25 minutes until golden on top.
For the garlic butter sauce
- The best beef: We recommend you use Certified Angus Beef® brand for best results.
- Swap out the herbs: You can swap the oregano and thyme for 1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning.
- Use a melting cheese: You can substitute Gouda cheese with any good melting cheese with good flavor. Other options would be Gruyere, Havarti or Fontina
- Folding the dough: The reason for pulling in the edges of the circles of dough is so that when you fold them up, the bottom of the bread roll is not super thick while the top is thin
- For best results: you should always weigh ingredients like flour and sugar. Kitchen scales are relatively cheap but if you can’t weigh the ingredients, use the spoon and level method (don’t scoop!)
- You can use Hawaiian rolls: Use Hawaiian rolls instead of homemade bread if you would prefer not to make the dough.
Calories: 372kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 845mg | Potassium: 248mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 1.6mg