Healthier Make Ahead Lasagna Freezer Meal
A hearty, cheesy, healthy make ahead lighter lasagna, loaded with a lighter cream sauce, and spinach. This lasagna is a simple make ahead dish that's lighter in calories but fully delivers on flavor.
- 10 sheets lasagna cooked according to the package instructions
- 2 packages frozen spinach defrosted
For the White Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk whole or semi skimmed
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups reduced fat mozzarella grated
- 1 cup asiago grated
- 6 slices proscuitto
Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions, and set aside.
To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over a medium heat. Once melted add the flour and whisk to a thick paste also called a roux. Cook this out over the heat for about 2 minutes. This cooks out the flour.
Slowly add the milk to the roux, while whisking continuously. Once all the milk is added bring the bechamel sauce the a boil for a minute. For a flour thickened sauce to reach it's full thickness the sauce needs to come to a boil. Add the nutmeg.
Squeeze all the excess moisture from the spinach.
In a round or square oven proof dish lay out a layer of the noodles.
Top the layer with 1/3 of the bechamel sauce.
Layer 1/3 of the spinach onto the sauce.
Mix the two grated cheeses together and top the spinach layer with 1 cup of cheese.
Continue with the layering process three more times, until all the ingredients are used.
Top with the proscuitto.
- At this point you can choose to freeze the lasagna with a double layer of aluminum foil clearly labeled and dated. Or you can pre-heat the oven to 350f and bake the lasagna for about 40 minutes.
- Directions for cooking the lasagna after freezing: Defrost the lasagna, remove the foil and cook as instructed above.
- If cooking from frozen, leave the foil on and cook for about 1 hour or until the lasagna is hot, then remove the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes to crisp the proscuitto and brown the cheese.
Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 559mg | Potassium: 496mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 8920IU | Vitamin C: 5.1mg | Calcium: 576mg | Iron: 2.3mg