Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy
Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy is an easy recipe that is super comforting and flavorful. It is perfect anytime, but we especially love it when the weather starts to change and we start craving comfort food that makes you feel all warm and cozy like snuggling up under a fluffy blanket next to a fire.
- 1 1/2 pounds Beef round Roast cut into chunks See note #1
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion sliced (about 1 cup)
- 5-6 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon beef base I use Better Than Bouillon
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Season beef tips with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over mid-high heat and add the seasoned beef tips to the hot skillet. Allow the beef to sear about 4 minutes on each side. You want a nice caramelized coating on the beef.
Place seared beef tips in the slow cooker and top with 1 cup of sliced yellow onions and about 5-6 whole garlic cloves (peeled), along with a sprig of fresh thyme.
Reduce the heat of the skillet to medium and melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet with a pinch of salt and stir to coat in the butter. Saute for about 5 minutes until the mushrooms soften and start to release their juices (sweat). Stir occasionally scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 tablepoons beef base to the skillet and stir to combine.
Add this mixture to the slow cooker with the beef tips. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for about 5 hours or on high for about 2 1/2 hours until the beef is fork tender. You want the beef to melt in your mouth, so cook longer if needed.
Once the beef is tender, combine 1 tablespoon red wine with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and add to the slow cooker. Turn heat up to high and cook about 20 minutes until the gravy is thickened. Alternately, you can add the gravy to a skillet over medium heat and add the cornstarch/red wine mixture to the gravy and heat until thickened which will only take a minute or two.
Serve over mashed potatoes and enjoy!
- For best results we recommend Certified Angus Beef® brand beef
- We recommend using a beef base/water combination in this recipe. You can find beef base in the soup aisle of your grocery store. Beef base will give the gravy a deep rich flavor, however, you can also substitute 1 1/2 cups beef stock in place of the water/beef base combination. Be sure to use beef stock (not broth) for maximum flavor results.
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 541mg | Potassium: 408mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 90IU | Vitamin C: 3.2mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 3mg