Key Lime Pie Bars
Tart and sweet with a buttery cookie crust, this Key Lime Pie Bars recipe is perfect for spring and summer. Serve it for a backyard BBQ or potluck, and everyone will be asking for the recipe!
Servings 16 bars
Key lime pie crust ingredients:
- 14-16 graham cracker cookies equal to 2 cups when finely crushed
- 5-6 Tablespoons salted butter melted
Key lime pie filling ingredients:
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature, about half of your typical container of cream cheese
- 4 egg yolks from 4 large eggs
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk not fat free!
- 1/2 cup key lime juice from fresh limes or bottled
- 2 teaspoons lime zest from 1 lime
- Powdered sugar optional
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9″ baking pan with aluminum foil. Use enough so that it hangs over the sides just slightly. Lightly spray the inside of the pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Crush 14-16 graham crackers into fine crumbs using a food processor or a bag and rolling pin, enough to make 2 cups of crumbs. You can also use boxed crumbs.
Pour the crushed cookie crumbs into a mixing bowl with 5-6 tablespoons of melted butter (5 will yield a slightly more crumbly crust). Mix together until fully combined, then add the crust to the prepared baking pan.Press the crust down until it forms a nice, tight layer at the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes in your preheated oven while you make the key lime pie filling. In a large mixing bowl, beat 4 ounces cream cheese on high speed until smooth using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Beat in 4 egg yolks and scrape down the sides as necessary. Finally, beat in 1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup key lime juice, and 2 teaspoons lime zest. Mix until smooth. Pour the completed key lime pie filling over the crust in the pan. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the edges of the bars begin to brown. If they haven’t yet, leave them in for another 2-3 minutes.
Allow the key lime pie to cool at room temperature, in the pan, on a rack. A wire rack works best for cooling. Once it cools off, add the pie to the refrigerator and let it chill for 2 hours.
After at least 2 hours, remove the key lime pie from the refrigerator and lift it out of the pan using the aluminum foil. Cut into approximately 16 bars (see my tips below for cutting the bars!). Top with powdered sugar if you like, serve, and enjoy!
- Don’t skip out on adding the aluminum foil. It really makes it so easy to lift the bars out of the baking dish after they’re done chilling!
- Cutting the pie. To easily cut the pie into 16 key lime bars, cut the pie in half both ways so you have 4 even, large squares. Then, cut those 4 squares in half both ways to make a total of 16 smaller bars.
- Use your leftover egg whites to make Starbucks Egg Bites or Mini Pavlovas!
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 157mg | Potassium: 134mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 339IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 1mg