Best Whole Beef Tenderloin Recipe
Garlic Thyme Beef Tenderloin will be your new favorite holiday roast! Get my secret to making this memorable whole beef tenderloin recipe. You'll want to make it every year!
Servings 8 servings
- 4 lbs. Certified Angus Beef®brand Whole Beef Tenderloin roast, trimmed
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp . granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 hours (or more) before you plan on cooking the roast, prepare your rub by mixing salt, pepper, dried thyme, and granulated garlic in a small bowl.Coat the beef tenderloin with the spice mixture, then wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to allow the spices to pack into the meat.
When ready to start cooking beef tenderloin, preheat your oven to 450°F. While the oven is preheating, unwrap the roast and place it on a rack in a small roasting pan or a small baking sheet with sides. Drizzle olive oil over the roast.
Open the Roast Perfect app and select the Roast Timer. Choose cut, weight, and degree of doneness. If you’re not sure what degree of doneness you’re looking for, see the notes for a temperature chart!
Place your roast in the oven and press start on the app for sear time (15 minutes). When 15 minutes is up, reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
Continue cooking beef tenderloin to the degree of doneness you desire. I like mine medium-rare, so I roasted mine for 35 minutes until it reached the internal temperature of 125°F.Remove your roast from the oven when done, and tent with foil. Allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes before carving. Serve, and enjoy!
- Trim your roast: Check the post instructions for how to trim your roast. It's a necessary, but thankfully super easy, step!
- Tie your roast: Beef tenderloin roasts have a skinny end that should be tucked underneath the roast. Tie your whole beef tenderloin to ensure it stays together as it roasts. This helps make sure it roasts evenly. Your butcher can help you with this step if you don't feel comfortable doing it. See the post for tips on how to tie a roast.
- Use a rack: Make sure you use a rack and a shallow baking pan or roasting pan. Using a rack to roast tenderloin will help the warm air of the oven circulate around the roast for more even roasting.
- Beef tenderloin temperature chart:
- ~22 minutes for rare (120-125˚F)
- ~24 minutes for mid-rare (130-135˚F)
- ~28 minutes for medium (138-140˚F)
- ~30 minutes for medium-well (140-145˚F)
- ~35 minutes for well done (150˚F)
Calories: 645kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 159mg | Sodium: 590mg | Potassium: 718mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 6mg