Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
My Southern Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping is the casserole of your dreams! Creamy whipped sweet potatoes with cinnamon and nutmeg, all topped off with crunchy pecans and sweet brown sugar instead of marshmallows. This is the best sweet potato recipe ever!
- Best Southern Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients
- Pecan Topping Ingredients
- How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes FAQs
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Tips
- Make-ahead Sweet Potato Casserole
- What to Serve with Sweet Potato Casserole
- Make-ahead Holiday Recipes
- 📌 Pin it for later!
- 📋 Recipe
- 💬 Reviews
Best Southern Sweet Potato Casserole
My easy recipe requires just a handful of simple, fresh ingredients.
The best part is that you can make a delicious southern sweet potato casserole recipe using fresh sweet potatoes just as easily as if you were cracking open a can.
Isabel, I tried it and it was a hit with family and friends! I took it to a church Thanksgiving celebration and they raved about it! It was very delicious andI will be saving this as one of my favorites for Thanksgiving. ❤️Veronica on Pinterest
Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients
- Large sweet potatoes
- Butter, melted
- Evaporated milk
Pecan Topping Ingredients
- Brown sugar
- Butter, melted
- Chopped pecans
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Pierce sweet potatoes all over with a fork, then place on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 60 minutes.
- Once cool enough to handle, peel and add them to a large mixing bowl. Whip with an electric hand or stand mixer until fluffy and smooth. You can also use a potato masher or fork instead for a coarser mash.
- Add sugar, eggs, butter, evaporated milk, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg to the sweet potatoes. Mix until combined.
- Add the mixture to a square, 9 by 9-inch casserole dish. Spread the potatoes out evenly.
- Add butter, brown sugar, chopped pecans, and flour to a separate bowl, and mix well. Spread the pecan topping on top of the casserole in the dish, then bake for 30-35 minutes until heated through. Serve, and enjoy!
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes FAQs
Actual yams and sweet potatoes are not the same; however, most varieties of yam you find at the supermarket are actually sweet potatoes. True yams have tough brown skin that looks like tree bark, while sweet potatoes have soft, light brown to reddish-brown or even purple skin.
There are three kinds of sweet potatoes: white, orange, and purple. We use regular orange sweet potatoes for this dish. Select sweet potatoes without any blemishes or bruises for the best results.
It was delicious 😋 It went so fast I never got a photo! Thanks!Lala on Pinterest
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Tips
- Make sure to let your mashed sweet potatoes cool down before you beat in the eggs so the eggs do not cook.
- You can also boil your sweet potatoes if you prefer. I love the flavor of baking sweet potatoes as the roasting gives them a deeper flavor.
- My casserole will last up to 5 days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
- You could even enjoy this dish as a dessert (it is similar to a sweet potato pie recipe, after all!). Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Make-ahead Sweet Potato Casserole
- You can easily turn this into the perfect make-ahead sweet potato casserole by cooking your sweet potatoes and whipping them up ahead of time.
- Store them in your casserole dish, tightly covered in the refrigerator, for up to 2 days.
- You can also make the topping ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator, separate from the casserole.
- The day that you’re ready to bake it, spread the topping on top and pop it in the oven.
What to Serve with Sweet Potato Casserole
I love serving this easy make-ahead casserole for the holidays. It goes perfectly with ham and turkey recipes.
Easy Ham Recipes
Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes
- Grilled Turkey Recipe with my amazing Turkey Rub
- Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- Boneless Turkey Roast
- Spatchcock Turkey
- Smoked Turkey
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
For tips on thawing turkey in time for Thanksgiving, take a look at my guide on How to Thaw Turkey!
Make-ahead Holiday Recipes
- Instant Pot Sage Sausage Stuffing
- Green Bean Casserole
- Creamed Corn Casserole
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think! We love to hear from you!
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole
- 9 by 9-inch casserole idsh
- 4-5 sweet potatoes large
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 stick butter melted
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ stick butter melted
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Pierce sweet potatoes several times all over with a fork, and place on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 60 minutes.Once cool enough to handle, peel and add to a large mixing bowl. Whip potatoes with an electric mixer until fluffy and smooth. You need about 4 cups of whipped sweet potatoes.For coarser potatoes, or if you don't have an electric mixer, you can also use a potato masher or a fork.
- Add sugar, eggs, butter, evaporated milk, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg to the potatoes. Mix until combined.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly in a 9 by 9-inch baking dish.
- Add butter, brown sugar, flour, and chopped pecans to a bowl, and mix well. Spread evenly on top of the potatoes. Bake for 30-35 minutes until heated through.
- Make it ahead of time: Turn this into a make ahead sweet potato casserole by cooking your sweet potatoes and whipping them up ahead of time. Store them, tightly covered, in a casserole dish in the refrigerator, for up to a couple of days ahead of time. You can make the topping ahead of time by simply preparing it and storing it to spread on before baking.
- Freeze it: Prepare the potatoes as instructed but make the topping on the day you plan to bake it. Thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight, and you are good to go!
Photography by Kristen King