This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
My easy Spinach Puff Pastry recipe is a fancy finger food that’s easy to make and tastes incredible! Using frozen spinach and puff pastry sheets, this is a simple recipe that’s packed with flavor. Make these, and everyone who tries one will ask you for the recipe!
Puff pastry appetizers are a favorite in my household. There is nothing like fluffy, flaky puff pastry stuffed with tasty ingredients like spinach and cheese! And this spinach puff pastry recipe is the best of the best.
Spinach puffs are effortlessly delicious, and make a perfect starter for any meal. I love bringing them to potlucks and holiday gatherings. They’re easy to make ahead of time, and everyone always asks me for the recipe!
Whether you’re serving them as an appetizer before the main event, or as part of a fancy finger food spread, I guarantee this simple spinach puff pastry recipe is sure to impress you!
This has now become one of my favorite holiday appetizers! So easy and everyone loves them at a party.Colleen
Puff Pastry Spinach Ingredients
- Frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- Shallot or onions, green onion also works well
- Heavy cream or whole milk
- White cheddar cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt, to taste
- Bacon, cooked and divided
- Large Eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
Spinach Puffs Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Squeeze out any excess liquid from thawed spinach until it is as dry as possible.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter, then add diced shallots and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes, until shallots become translucent.
- Sprinkle flour into the skillet, whisking for 1-2 minutes until it lightly browns.
- Add nutmeg, then slowly add heavy cream, whisking continuously, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in white cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Dice cooked bacon strips and add to the cheese sauce, reserving 2 strips. Stir until the cheese melts completely, then salt to taste.
- Add spinach to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Finally, remove from the heat and begin preparing your puff pastry dough. On a lightly floured surface, unfold the thawed puff pastry and roll each into a 12-inch square sheet.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 9 even squares. Place into greased mini muffin pans, pressing gently on the bottoms and up the sides, so the corners point up.
- Fill each cup with 2 Tablespoons of the creamed spinach mixture.
- Top with remaining chopped bacon.
- In a small bowl, mix egg and water to create an egg wash. Brush the remaining egg wash over the top of the puff pastry, then add to the oven.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve, and enjoy!
One of my favorite desserts to serve is my puff pastry apple tarts!
Spinach Pastry Tips
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the puff pastry sheet into 9 squares quickly and easily.
- Brush the puff pastry with egg wash to help it brown nicely.
- Make the creamed spinach filling a day ahead of time and warm slightly before filling the puff pastries.
Spinach Puff Pastry FAQs
First, thaw frozen puff pastry in the refrigerator overnight. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator about 20 minutes before you plan on using it and allow it to come to room temperature. Dust your working surface with flour to avoid the pastry sticking to it. When rolling the puff pastry out, do so quickly, keeping the sheet square. Then, when cutting the sheets, cut all of the way through without dragging the knife. A pizza cutter can be used. Finally, when baking, use greased muffin cups and egg wash to help it crisp up nicely.
Brush puff pastry with egg wash for best results. Egg wash is a mixture of water and egg beaten together (1 egg to 1 Tablespoon water).
Brushing puff pastry with egg wash is a guaranteed way to crisp up puff pastry as it bakes, in addition to baking it in greased muffin tins. This results in puff pastry appetizers that are crisp all over.
Spinach puff pastry is best enjoyed the day of baking, but may be stored for 1-2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator after baking.
Make-Ahead Puff Pastry with Spinach
You can easily make spinach puff pastry ahead of time by preparing the filling beforehand.
Prepare the filling as instructed, then refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 day before baking. When ready to use, warm slightly in a skillet, then add to puff pastry cups and bake as instructed.
How to Freeze Spinach Puff Pastry
- Follow all instructions to fully bake spinach puffs.
- Allow to cool, then add to a freezer-safe container or freezer bags. Label with the date.
- Freeze for up to 1 month. When ready to enjoy, reheat directly from frozen at 400°F in the oven until heated through.
Puff Pastry Appetizers
- 1 Muffin tin
- Cooking spray
- brush for egg wash
- 3 sheets Puff Pastry thawed
- 16 ounces Frozen Spinach thawed
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Shallot finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic finely diced
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1.5 cups Heavy Cream or Whole Milk
- ½ cup White cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan shredded
- Salt to taste
- 6 strips Cooked bacon divided
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon Water
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Squeeze out any excess liquid from thawed spinach until it is as dry as possible. In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter, then add diced shallots and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes, until shallots become translucent. Sprinkle flour into the skillet, whisking for 1-2 minutes until it lightly browns.16 ounces Frozen Spinach, 2 Tablespoons Butter, 2 Tablespoons Shallot, 1 clove Garlic, 2 Tablespoons Flour
- Add nutmeg, then slowly add heavy cream, whisking continuously, until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3-5 minutes.1 pinch Nutmeg, 1.5 cups Heavy Cream
- Stir in white cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.½ cup White cheddar cheese, ¼ cup Parmesan
- Dice cooked bacon strips and add to the cheese sauce, reserving 2 strips to top the pastries later. Stir until the cheese melts completely, then salt to taste.6 strips Cooked bacon, Salt
- Add spinach to the mixture and stir to combine.16 ounces Frozen Spinach
- Finally, remove from the heat and begin preparing your puff pastry. On a lightly floured surface, unfold the thawed puff pastry and roll each into a 12-inch square sheet.3 sheets Puff Pastry
- Cut each pastry sheet into 9 even squares. Place into greased muffin cups, pressing gently on the bottoms and up the sides, so the corners point up.
- Fill each cup with 2 Tablespoons of the creamed spinach mixture.
- Top with remaining chopped bacon.6 strips Cooked bacon
- In a small bowl, mix egg and water to create an egg wash. Brush the egg wash over the top of the puff pastry, then add to the oven.1 egg, 1 Tablespoon Water
- Bake 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Serve, and enjoy!