Homemade chicken noodle soup with egg noodles is a one pan soup recipe made with juicy chicken thighs, wholesome chopped veggies and a flavorful broth. This chicken noodle soup from scratch will quickly become one of your favorite easy soup recipes with few ingredients!
It’s nice to have a recipe on hand for using up the week’s leftovers. Especially a recipe like homemade chicken noodle soup that goes great with all sorts of vegetables and the more budget-friendly cuts of chicken, like chicken legs and thighs.
Chicken noodle soup with egg noodles is one of my favorite soups, alongside this spicy chicken soup using leftover chicken or turkey, and this budget-friendly salmon and potato traybake using frozen salmon and whatever veggies you have on hand.
For this noodle soup recipe, I use three large chicken thighs, chopped onion, carrot, and celery for a broth that’s full of flavor.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
Chicken noodle soup from scratch uses just a few simple ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Skin-on chicken thighs
- Oil and dried rosemary
- Minced garlic
- Onion, chopped
- Carrot, chopped
- Celery, chopped
- Stock cube in water or pre-made stock
- Bay leaves
- Dried medium egg noodles
- Fresh parsley
You could also easily make this into a rotisserie chicken noodle soup by using rotisserie chicken, or even use the leftovers from making slow cooker whole chicken.
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch
Making chicken noodle soup is much easier than it sounds. This homemade chicken soup recipe from scratch is easy to make in a few steps, and you will love how richly flavorful it is.
- Pan fry the chicken thighs in oil and rosemary until skin is browned, then remove the thighs from the pan and set to one side.
- In the same pan add the minced garlic, chopped onion, carrot and celery and fry until soft.
- Add the stock to the vegetables and bring to a simmer. When simmering, return the thighs to the pan along with 2 bay leaves, pop on the lid and cook for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, remove the thighs from the pan. Add the dried noodles to the broth and simmer until noodles are cooked through. Separate the chicken meat from the skin and bones and then shred the meat. Skin and bones can be discarded.
- Once the noodles are cooked stir in the shredded chicken, add extra water if necessary until consistency is as desired.
- Top with fresh parsley and serve.
Is chicken noodle soup gluten free?
This quick chicken noodle soup uses egg noodles, which are generally not gluten free. Also, store-bought chicken stock may also contain gluten.
However, homemade chicken noodle soup can be made completely gluten free if you replace the egg noodles with gluten free noodles or rice noodles.
Alternatively, remove the noodles completely, and enjoy this recipe as a chicken broth. For the stock, find a gluten free alternative or just use water and salt, as the chicken and vegetables will provide plenty of flavor.
Does chicken noodle soup help colds?
Some studies, like this study from the American College of CHEST Physicians, show that chicken noodle soup can help clear nasal passageways, which is helpful when you have a cold. This is thought to be due to the heat, the aroma, and the taste.
Chicken noodle soup is also generally high in protein, vitamins and minerals, and so provides a well-balanced meal promoting general wellness.
Can you freeze chicken noodle soup?
Yes, chicken noodle soup can be frozen. However, noodles tend to not freeze and reheat well, so if you plan to freeze this recipe, leave out the noodles. Instead, add the noodles in when you have defrosted and are reheating the soup.
Make sure the soup is completely cooled before freezing. Freeze for up to 3 months and always defrost thoroughly before reheating until piping hot.
What goes with chicken noodle soup?
Any kind of simple sandwich pairs well with chicken noodle soup, including grilled cheese sandwiches, like the mini grilled cheeses found in this grilled cheese and tomato soup recipe. For something a little different, why not try with Philly cheese steak sliders? Or, you could even bake your own bread to pair with it. Have a look here for how to make sprouted bread.
Do you love homemade soup recipes?
If you’re looking for more soup recipes with chicken or easy vegetable soup recipes, try these:
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Mushroom Grilled Cheese and French Onion Soup
- Pesto Grilled Cheese and Italian Vegetable Soup
- Celery Root Soup and Lobster Dinner for Two
- Easy Broccoli Soup with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
- Thai Squash Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
Let us know what you think of this recipe!
We would love to hear from you. Leave a comment below if you tried making chicken noodle soup, and be sure to give this recipe a rating!
- 500 g Skin on chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 3 Cloves minced garlic
- 1 Chopped onion (120g)
- 2 Chopped carrot (150g)
- 4 Sticks chopped celery (150g)
- Chicken stock cube in 450ml water or retail pre-made chicken stock
- 2 Bay leaves
- 180 g Dried medium egg noodles
- 4 tbsp Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pan fry the chicken thighs in oil and rosemary until skin is browned, then remove the thighs from the pan and set to one side.
In the same pan add the minced garlic, chopped onion, carrot and celery and fry until soft.
Add the stock to the vegetables and bring to a simmer. When simmering return the thighs to the pan along with 2 bay leaves, pop on the lid and cook for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove the thighs from the pan. Add the dried noodles to the broth and simmer until noodles are cooked through. Separate the chicken meat from the skin and bones and then shred the meat. Skin and bones can be discarded.
Once the noodles are cooked stir in the shredded chicken, add extra water if necessary until consistency is as desired. Season to taste then top with fresh parsley and serve.