Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Better than the original! Copycat Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup is a creamy chicken tortilla soup recipe with two kinds of beans, corn, and a kick of heat from green chiles. Top it off with tortilla strips, and this homemade chicken tortilla soup will make you want to lick the bowl clean!
Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
This creamy chicken tortilla soup is the absolute best. I promise you will want to make it all of the time. The best part about homemade chicken tortilla soup like Chick-fil-A? It will only take you about 30 minutes to make it.
Seriously! An amazing, easy chicken tortilla soup recipe in under an hour? It doesn’t get any better than that! The only thing that can possibly make this recipe any better is Starbucks pumpkin bread for dessert!
I made this tonight! It was great!!! I made two pots…one with chicken. And the other pot without chicken for my vegans. Everyone loved it!! It’s a keeper!Linda on Instagram
Chick-fil-A Tortilla Soup Ingredients
- olive oil
- yellow onion, finely chopped
- garlic, minced or (garlic paste)
- dried oregano
- sea salt
- cannellini beans
- black beans
- diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as Rotel)
- cream-style corn
- whole kernel corn
- roasted or rotisserie chicken, bones removed, meat shredded – shredded chicken recipe
- Juice of lime
- Tortilla strips or chips (for topping)
I’ve made it several times now, for my family and its an easy meal to prep and deliver to people who may need a little help at home! It’s definitely a requested favorite! Thank you!Heather on Pinterest
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add 1 finely chopped medium yellow onion to the pot and saute with 2 cloves minced garlic (or 2 tablespoons of garlic paste) until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, and 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Add 2 cans cannellini beans (do not drain!) to a blender and puree. Reserve the remaining 1 can cannellini beans to add to the soup later for whole beans.
- Stir the pureed beans into the pot with the onion and garlic. Add 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, 1 can of cream-style corn, and 1 can of whole kernel corn to the pot. Do not drain any of the cans.
- Add deboned and shredded chicken from one whole roasted or rotisserie chicken to the pot.
- Mix in the remaining 1 can cannellini beans and 1 can black beans. Do not drain the cans of their liquid. Stir to combine.
- Let the soup simmer over medium heat until fully heated through, about 20 to 30 minutes. Add the juice of 1 lime and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with tortilla strips to serve, and enjoy!
It’s that easy! Just remember, do not drain any of the cans of their liquid in this recipe. If you drain the liquid, your creamy chicken tortilla soup will not have the right consistency.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
To make this soup in the crockpot, either uses boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs added at the start of the cook time or add your already-cooked chicken about 30 minutes before the soup is otherwise finished cooking.
Add all your soup ingredients as directed to the crockpot, then cook on low heat for 5-6 hours or until the chicken shreds easily.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Toppings
- Sliced avocado
- Tortilla strips, chips, or Fritos chips
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapenos
- Shredded cheese
Chicken Tortilla Soup Substitutions
I absolutely love making this soup with leftover turkey! It is the perfect use for Thanksgiving leftovers.
- Best Thanksgiving Turkey
- Grilled Thanksgiving Turkey
- Boneless Turkey Breast Roast
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- Chick-fil-A Nuggets
- Chick-fil-A Lemon Kale Caesar Salad
- Chick-fil-A Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chick-fil-A Sauce
Loved it! ❤️ Didn’t understand how I’d get soup without water/broth/cream/etc, but it worked and this was amazing!Kristin on Pinterest
Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced (or 2 Tbsp. garlic paste)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3 15 oz. cans cannellini beans reserve 1 can
- 2 10 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chiles such as Rotel
- 1 15 oz. can cream-style corn
- 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 whole roasted or rotisserie chicken bones removed, meat shredded
- Juice of 1 lime
- Tortilla strips or chips for topping
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add 1 finely chopped medium yellow onion to the pot and sauté with 2 cloves minced garlic (or 2 Tbsp. garlic paste) until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Stir in 2 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. dried oregano, and 1 tsp. sea salt.
- Add 2 cans cannellini beans to a blender and puree. Reserve the remaining 1 can cannellini beans to add to the soup later for whole beans. Do not drain beans before blending.
- Stir the pureed beans into the pot. Add 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, 1 can of cream-style corn, and 1 can of whole kernel corn to the pot. Do not drain any of the cans.
- Add shredded chicken from one whole roasted or rotisserie chicken to the pot.
- Mix in the remaining 1 can of cannellini beans and 1 can of black beans, stir to combine.
- Let the soup simmer over medium heat until fully heated through, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add juice of 1 lime and season to taste. Top with tortilla strips to serve.
- Do not drain any of the cans of their liquid or the texture of your creamy chicken tortilla soup will not come out right!
- Top with sliced avocado, fresh lime, tortilla strips, sour cream, cheese, and other toppings as desired. It’s delicious!