Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Better than the original! Copycat Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup is a creamy chicken tortilla soup recipe with two kinds of beans, corn, and a kick of heat from green chiles. Top it off with tortilla strips, and this homemade chicken tortilla soup will make you want to lick the bowl clean!
Chick-fil-A chicken soup is a restaurant favorite for a reason. The problem is, it’s seasonal! The best way to solve that? Make homemade chicken tortilla soup, and make it even better than the original.
This creamy southwest chicken tortilla soup is the solution. I promise, you will want to make it all of the time. The best part about homemade chicken tortilla soup like Chick-fil-A? It will only take you about 30 minutes to make it.
Seriously! An amazing, easy chicken tortilla soup recipe in under an hour? It doesn’t get any better than that!
Very good, will make it again!Debbie on Pinterest
What’s in Chick-fil-A chicken tortilla soup?
- olive oil
- yellow onion, finely chopped
- garlic, minced or (garlic paste)
- dried oregano
- sea salt
- cannellini beans
- black beans
- diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as Rotel)
- cream-style corn
- whole kernel corn
- roasted or rotisserie chicken, bones removed, meat shredded
- Juice of lime
- Tortilla strips or chips (for topping)
This is the best chicken tortilla soup recipe ever! Just a few cans of beans, corn, and tomatoes with chiles, along with spices, onion, and rotisserie chicken. This Chick-fil-A soup recipe is really so simple!
Easy chicken tortilla soup is a great way to use up leftover chicken, too! Roast up a hearty chicken dinner and use the leftovers for your chicken tortilla soup ingredients the same week. You will be so glad you did!
Is Chick-fil-A chicken tortilla soup gluten-free?
Yes, the ingredients in copycat Chick-fil-A chicken tortilla soup are naturally gluten-free.
Of course, it’s always good to check. Double-check the tortilla strips (if you’re using them), and if you’re using rotisserie chicken, look for a gluten-free label.
How to Make Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add 1 finely chopped medium yellow onion to the pot and saute with 2 cloves minced garlic (or 2 tablespoons of garlic paste) until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, and 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Add 2 cans cannellini beans (do not drain!) to a blender and puree. Reserve the remaining 1 can cannellini beans to add to the soup later for whole beans.
- Stir the pureed beans into the pot with the onion and garlic. Add 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, 1 can of cream-style corn, and 1 can of whole kernel corn to the pot. Do not drain any of the cans.
- Add deboned and shredded chicken from one whole roasted or rotisserie chicken to the pot.
- Mix in the remaining 1 can cannellini beans and 1 can black beans. Do not drain the cans of their liquid. Stir to combine.
- Let the soup simmer over medium heat until fully heated through, about 20 to 30 minutes. Add the juice of 1 lime and season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with tortilla strips to serve, and enjoy!
It’s that easy! Just remember, do not drain any of the cans of their liquid in this recipe. If you drain the liquid, your creamy chicken tortilla soup will not have the right consistency.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Toppings
- Sliced avocado
- Tortilla strips, chips, or Fritos chips
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapenos
- Shredded cheese
I love to top this chicken tortilla soup recipe with my favorite taco toppings to make it similar to an Instant Pot chicken and rice soup! Cheesy chicken tortilla soup is especially good. Just top it off with a little shredded cheese, and it melts into the soup deliciously!
Sliced avocado and sour cream are an amazing choice for topping off this chicken soup recipe, too. And don’t forget the tortilla strips!
Did you try making your own easy chicken tortilla soup? Let me know in the comments below and with a rating! And don’t forget to save Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup 📌 on Pinterest for later.
I absolutely love making this soup with leftover turkey! It is the perfect use of Thanksgiving leftovers.
- Best Thanksgiving Turkey
- Grilled Thanksgiving Turkey
- Boneless Turkey Breast Roast
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast
Easy Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with Egg Noodles
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
Check out our Tortilla Soup Web Story!
Copycat Chick-fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced (or 2 Tbsp. garlic paste)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3 15 oz. cans cannellini beans reserve 1 can
- 2 10 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chiles such as Rotel
- 1 15 oz. can cream-style corn
- 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 whole roasted or rotisserie chicken bones removed, meat shredded
- Juice of 1 lime
- Tortilla strips or chips for topping
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add 1 finely chopped medium yellow onion to the pot and sauté with 2 cloves minced garlic (or 2 Tbsp. garlic paste) until the onion softens and becomes translucent.
- Stir in 2 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. dried oregano, and 1 tsp. sea salt.
- Add 2 cans cannellini beans to a blender and puree. Reserve the remaining 1 can cannellini beans to add to the soup later for whole beans. Do not drain beans before blending.
- Stir the pureed beans into the pot. Add 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, 1 can of cream-style corn, and 1 can of whole kernel corn to the pot. Do not drain any of the cans.
- Add shredded chicken from one whole roasted or rotisserie chicken to the pot.
- Mix in the remaining 1 can of cannellini beans and 1 can of black beans, stir to combine.
- Let the soup simmer over medium heat until fully heated through, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add juice of 1 lime and season to taste. Top with tortilla strips to serve.
- Do not drain any of the cans of their liquid or the texture of your creamy chicken tortilla soup will not come out right!
- Top with sliced avocado, fresh lime, tortilla strips, sour cream, cheese, and other toppings as desired. It’s delicious!