Authentic German Potato Salad is one of our top picks for Best Picnic Recipes ever! It’s easy to pack in your picnic basket and loaded with delicious flavors such as bacon and a tangy vinegar dressing. This potato salad recipe tastes great served warm or cold and pairs nicely with lots of picnic foods like sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, and chicken too! We think this easy recipe is a picnic basket essential!
Picnic Basket Essentials
When it comes to packing a picnic basket, we like to keep it as simple as possible. Check out our list of Picnic Basket Essentials for a Stress Free Day, and you’ll find a few great recipes included to help you plan the perfect picnic. We especially like this Authentic German Potato Salad recipe for picnics because the dressing is vinegar based, so you don’t have to worry as much about keeping it chilled like you would with a mayonnaise based dressing. As a matter-of-fact this potato salad recipe is meant to be served warm or at room temperature. That’s a real plus when planning the perfect picnic.
Authentic German Potato Salad Recipe Tips
This recipe for Authentic German Potato Salad is fairly simple to make. A great tip is to boil the potatoes whole and let them cool a bit. This technique makes the potatoes easy to peel and cut. The dressing for German potato salad is vinegar and oil with a bit of sugar plus chicken stock. Pour it on when the potatoes are warm so they soak up all that tangy delicious dressing. Add the fresh chopped dill, parsley, and lots of crumbled bacon bits for an exciting blend of flavors in every bite! We recommend saving some bacon bits and herbs to sprinkle over the top just before serving for a beautiful presentation and to add a little crunch.
We think you’re going to love this Authentic German Potato Salad as much as we do. Do you have a favorite potato salad recipe? Tell us about it in the comments section below. We love to hear all the different variations and to try new things!
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Sign up for our newsletter to get FREE Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- ½ pound bacon strips reserving about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Japanese rice vinegar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
Boil the potatoes in their skin in enough salted water to cover the potatoes until fork tender about 20 minutes. Begin checking at 15 minutes because smaller potatoes could be done sooner. Drain and allow to cool so that they can be handled and peeled.
In a skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Drain bacon on a paper towel and save about 2 tablespoons of the rendered fat. Chop the cooked bacon and set aside.
While potatoes are cooking, dice onion and chop dill and parsley.
In a separate bowl, mix chicken stock, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegars.
Peel potatoes and cut in half, then in ¼-inch slices. Place in large mixing (or serving) bowl. Pour the vinegar mixture over the potatoes and stir gently to incorporate. The warm potatoes will soak up dressing.
Add the bacon, onion and herbs. Add the reserved bacon fat and stir gently again.
Let sit for about 5 minutes, then add oil. Start with ¼ and fold in gently. Then add remaining oil. The mixture will be soupy at the bottom but over the next 15 or 20 minutes, the potatoes will soak it up.
If you’ve saved any parsley or bacon bits, sprinkle them over just before serving.
German potato salad is best served warm or at room temperature.
Best Picnic Recipes to Enjoy at the Park #SundaySupper
Starters, Skewers, and Sandwiches al Fresco
- Antipasto Skewers by Soulfully Made
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Slider Sandwiches by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Italian Layered Portable Picnic Jars by The Weekend Gourmet
- Low Carb Ham Pinwheels by Cricket’s Confections
- Patatas Brava Chorizo Sausage Rolls by Food Lust People Love
- Refrigerator Pickled Ratatouille Vegetables by My Life Cookbook
- Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps by The Crumby Kitchen
Stow-and-Go Sides and Salads
- Authentic German Potato Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Avocado Bacon Loaded Pasta Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad by Cooking With Carlee
- Broccoli Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Jalapeno Popper Macaroni Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Marinated Zucchini and Summer Squash by Caroline’s Cooking
- Old Fashioned Potato Salad by Life Tastes Good
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad by Family Foodie
- Southern Cornbread Salad by Gourmet Everyday
- Summer Quinoa Salad by Simple and Savory
- Watermelon and Avocado Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Whole30 Cauliflower Potato Salad by Bites of Wellness
Drinks and Desserts for Outdoor Dining
- Banana Snack Cake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blueberry Hand Pies by Our Good Life
- Cantaloupe Mint Lemonade by Palatable Pastime
- Cherry Poke Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Caramel Layer Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Cherry No Bake Bars by The Freshman Cook
- Mixed Fruit Drink by Basic N Delicious
- Rice Krispie Sushi by NinjaBaker.com