This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
A healthy, hearty, and filling MEATLESS dish perfect for weekday or Sunday Supper. Our Vegetarian Enchiladas Recipe with chickpea curry blends a fusion of Indian and Mexican flavors into one tasty meal you are sure to LOVE!
One of the things I love best about cooking is that there are no hard and fast rules. You can experiment as much as you like with delicious results! Even mixing and matching cuisines like the Indian and Mexican flavors can surprise you, like in this veg enchilada recipe.
It combines the spices, flavors, and ingredients of Indian cuisine and a classic Mexican dish like enchiladas. The result is a unique and hearty vegetarian enchilada casserole that the whole family will love!
Ingredients for Vegetarian Enchiladas
This delicious enchiladas veg recipe has three main components: a chickpea curry recipe, lime rice recipe, and the enchiladas casserole. The amount of flavor in this recipe is out of this world!
Chickpea Curry Recipe
Delicious vegetable enchiladas casserole has flavor woven into each element of the dish! It all starts with the chickpea curry, which is super easy to make.
How to Make Chickpea Curry
- Start by mincing two cloves of garlic and one large yellow onion (yields 2 cups).
- Heat a pan to medium-high and add 1 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Add the onion to the oil and saute for 10 minutes or until completely softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the minced garlic, 2 tsp. of curry powder, and ¼ tsp. cinnamon and saute for an additional minute or two to toast the spices.
- Add one cup of vegetable broth or water and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until it reduces by half.
- Add one can of light (or regular) coconut milk, 1 Tbsp. lime juice, 1 tsp. ground ginger, 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt, 2 cups cooked chickpeas, and 1 Tbsp. sriracha (optional).
- Stir and simmer all of these ingredients for an additional 10 minutes on low heat.
Lime Rice Recipe
Lime rice is a major part of what gives this enchiladas veg recipe so much flavor. The rice can be prepared on the stovetop at the same time as the chickpea curry, saving some time. It’s easy to make, too!
How to Make Lime Rice
- To prepare the rice simply bring 2 ¼ cups water to boil in a small pot on the stovetop.
- Reduce the heat and add 1 uncooked cup of brown basmati rice and 1 tsp. of kosher salt.
- Cover the pot and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed.
- Zest half of a lime into the rice and add 1 tsp. of fresh lime juice and ½ cup of cilantro. Stir well.
How to Make Enchiladas
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 7×11 inch baking dish to prevent the enchiladas from sticking as they bake.
- Cut one cup of roasted red peppers into thin strips.
- Gather 6 flour tortillas and prepare to assemble them.
- Place a few spoonfuls of rice on the tortilla.
- Add a few spoonfuls of the curry on top of the rice and place 3-4 roasted red pepper strips on top of the curry.
- Roll the tortilla tightly and place it seam-side down in the baking dish.
- Repeat this with 5 more tortillas.
- The tortillas should fit snugly in the baking dish.
- Top the tortillas with any remaining chickpea curry and ½ cup of grated cheddar cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- The cheese will melt and brown slightly as it cooks.
- Once the enchiladas are done simply remove the pan from the oven. Let cool a bit and serve.
How to Make Vegan Enchiladas
It’s easy to make this a vegan recipe. All you have to do is switch out the cheddar cheese for vegan cheese.
These enchiladas are wonderful made with vegan cheese! Here is a comment we received about making these vegan enchiladas:
I made this recipe using non-dairy cheese because my kids are vegan. They were delicious!!! They were gone in minutes! Next time I will triple the recipe! Thanks for posting this easy and tasty recipe!Linda on Instagram
Garnish the Enchiladas
Garnish the enchiladas with additional sliced roasted red peppers and fresh cilantro. This dish is comfort food 101! It’s hearty and filling and great for a weeknight or a weekend meal.
Plus, it’s a vegetarian enchilada recipe, so it’s a perfect choice for meatless Monday! Of course, even the pickiest meat-lover is sure to love this recipe, too!
Easy Vegetarian Main Meals
For a non-vegetarian taco meal, try our Easy Taco Casserole!
Vegetarian Enchiladas Recipe with Chickpea Curry
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion finely diced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1.4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 13.66 oz light coconut milk or regular, canned
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups chickpeas cooked
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha optional
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- Mince 2 large cloves garlic and 1 large onion (yields 2 cups).
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in pan on medium-high heat.
- Add the minced onion and saute for 10 minutes or until completely softened.
- Stir in the minced garlic, curry powder, and cinnamon and saute for another minute or two, toasting the spices.
- Add the vegetable broth or water and simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Add the can of coconut milk, lime juice, ground ginger, kosher salt, cooked chickpeas, and Sriracha (optional). Stir all of these ingredients and simmer for another 10 minutes on low heat.
- Adjust the lime juice and other spices to your taste preferences.
- Bring the water to a boil in a small pot on the stove top.
- Reduce heat and add the rice and salt. Cover and simmer on low for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed.
- Zest half of a lime into the rice.
- Add lime zest, lime juice and cilantro to the rice and stir.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 7×11 inch baking pan to prevent sticking.
- Cut 1 cup of roasted red peppers into thin strips. (Reserve some of the roasted red peppers for garnish).
- Construct the enchiladas by adding a few spoonfuls of rice to a tortilla, then adding a few spoonfuls of curry on top or rice, and then adding a few strips of roasted red pepper.
- Roll the tortilla and place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining 5 tortillas. They will fit snugly in the pan.
- Top with the remaining chickpea curry and ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the reserved roasted red pepper pieces and fresh cilantro. Serve warm.
NOTE: This recipe was originally published on Sunday Supper Movement in August of 2016 by Susan Pridmore. Updated in February 2018 with new recipe photos and notes.
Photos and recipe updates by Christine Rooney.