This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
It’s called Million Dollar Bacon for a reason! My Candied Bacon recipe is sweet and salty, with a kick of heat. Crispy, thick-cut bacon caramelized with a little bit of spice is a perfect pairing for brunch, topping avocado toast, or even as a holiday food gift!
The best part, it is ready in the oven in under an hour, or in the air fryer in 8 minutes.
- Candied Bacon Recipe
- Candy Bacon Ingredients
- How to Make Candied Bacon
- Air Fryer Bacon Candy Recipe
- Million Dollar Bacon Recipe Tips
- What is Candy Bacon?
- Candied Bacon FAQs
- How to Store Candy Bacon
- Reheating Millionaire Bacon
- What is the Best Kind of Bacon for Candy Bacon?
- What to Serve with Candy Bacon
- 📋 Recipe
- 💬 Reviews
Candied Bacon Recipe
If you haven’t heard about it already, you might be wondering what the buzz is about the so-called Millionaire Bacon. We’re here to tell you it’s worthy of that buzz!
If you haven’t tried candied bacon yet, let me tell you, you are going to love it. It is rich in flavor and crave-worthy. I first gave it a try at my local First Watch and had to make it myself.
Like the First Watch Million Dollar Bacon recipe, mine is sticky-sweet with a kick of heat. It’s a perfect addition to breakfast, brunch, or even an appetizer for a holiday meal.
I served this with pumpkin bread with maple glaze icing. Thought it would be nice contrast. I was right! Everyone who tried it absolutely loved it! Thank you for a great recipe!Laurie on Pinterest
Candy Bacon Ingredients
- thick-cut bacon
- light brown sugar or dark brown sugar
- cracked black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
How to Make Candied Bacon
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet pan with a silicone liner, parchment paper, or aluminum foil for easier cleanup.
- Lay thick-cut slices onto a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer until the sheet pan is full. Try to avoid overlapping slices if you don’t have to. If you have an oven-safe wire rack, elevate the slices over the sheet pan – this helps circulate heat.
- Add brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes to a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the slices. Use your hands to pat the sugar down, making sure to cover it all.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until brown and crispy, up to 40 minutes. Once done baking, remove the sheet pan from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes to allow the caramelized sugar to harden. Serve, and enjoy!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, you must try my pork belly burnt ends! They are amazing.
My family is obsessed with this candied bacon recipe. They ask me to make it constantly – so often that I even came up with an air fryer bacon version to save some time!
Made this birthday treat for a member of my deployed crew. It paired nicely with a rich double fudge mini layer cake with chocolate frosting. He gave it 😍😍😍😍 for the WIN!Beverly
Air Fryer Bacon Candy Recipe
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, pepper, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Place the bacon on a single layer, sprinkle the brown sugar mixture all over the bacon, and pat down.
- Spray the air fryer with olive oil, then add bacon and fry for 8 minutes, checking halfway through at 4 minutes to see if any of the bacon needs any rearranging to crisp up.
- Serve and enjoy!
Million Dollar Bacon Recipe Tips
- Make sure to completely coat the strips with the sugar mixture to get the most texture and flavor out of it. Don’t leave any spot uncovered!
- To avoid unnecessary cleanup, line your sheet pan with parchment paper, or a silicone liner. Trust me, you don’t want to candy bacon directly on the sheet pan (it’s a pain to clean!).
- Give the slices some breathing room. Don’t overlap the slices too much, or they’ll stick together.
- Elevating the slices over the sheet pan will allow air to circulate more evenly, so you’ll have beautiful, crisp slices. This is the best way to cook bacon in the oven – trust me!
TOP TIP—Let it cool before you eat it! It will be tempting because of how amazing it’s going to smell and look, but trust me, let it cool first. This will allow the glaze to finish setting for that perfect candied texture. It takes about 10-15 minutes to harden.
What is Candy Bacon?
Also called Millionaire’s Bacon and Million Dollar Bacon, or Pig Candy, candied bacon is made by coating slices of bacon in something sweet such as brown sugar before baking until caramelized. It’s a fantastic combination of flavors!
Candied Bacon FAQs
Reheat glazed bacon by microwaving it for about 10 to 15 seconds at a time. Place paper towels in between to get rid of any grease. Be careful – it heats up quickly and gets very hot!
Make your million-dollar bacon recipe up to 4 days ahead of time. It is perfect for gifting and reusing in recipes.
Store it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can make it ahead of time and have it ready for an easy weekend breakfast appetizer! Or, you can store the leftovers and repurpose them by making a salad for lunch. There are so many ways to enjoy leftover bacon!
How to Store Candy Bacon
- Cooling: Let the candied bacon cool completely after cooking.
- Storage: Place the cooled candied bacon in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag.
- Refrigeration: Store it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh.
Reheating Millionaire Bacon
When ready to eat, reheat individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds until warm or crisp, or briefly in the oven at 350°F (175°C) on a baking sheet.
This is like candy – we love it! I use a thick sliced pepper bacon and it is so good!Heather
What is the Best Kind of Bacon for Candy Bacon?
The type of bacon you choose for making candied bacon can vary based on personal preference, but I prefer regular, thick-cut bacon. Here are a few reasons why I recommend using thick-cut bacon.
- Texture: Thick-cut bacon tends to have a meatier and chewier texture than thinner bacon varieties. This texture pairs well with the sweet and crunchy candied coating.
- Flavor: Thick-cut bacon provides a robust and savory flavor that balances nicely with the sweetness of the candied coating.
- Sturdiness: Thick-cut bacon is less likely to become overly crispy or crumble when coated with the sugary glaze, making it easier to handle and enjoy.
- Caramelization: The thickness of the bacon allows for better caramelization of the sweet coating, resulting in a delicious combination of sweet and savory flavors.
What to Serve with Candy Bacon
- Breakfast Casserole
- Starbucks Egg Bites
- Banana Bread Waffles
- Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- Breakfast Potatoes
This sweet treat makes a great Holiday Gift!
Made this for a Christmas party, huge hit. I used the thick bacon and did bake it on a rack.Kathryn
- Baking sheet
- Aluminum foil, silicone liner, or parchment paper
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
Candied Bacon in the Oven
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet pan with a silicone liner, parchment paper or foil. Lay the uncooked bacon sliced onto the pan. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cracked black pepper, cayenne pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.½ cup brown sugar, ½ tsp. cracked black pepper, ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper, ½ Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the bacon slices, fully coating all of the slices. Using your hands, gently pat the sugar down onto the slices of bacon.1 pound thick-cut bacon
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until brown and crispy. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Check at 30 minutes and if it isn't as crisp as you'd like, put it back in for the full 40.Carefully transfer the bacon from the baking sheet pan to a cooling rack and let cool for another 10 minutes.
Air Fryer Candied Bacon
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, pepper, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Sprinkle mixture all over bacon and pat down.
- Spray air fryer with olive oil, then add bacon and fry for 8 minutes, checking halfway through at 4 minutes to see if any of the bacon needs any rearranging to crisp up.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Depending on the size of your baking sheet pan and the number of bacon slices in the package, you may need to use two sheet pans.
- Be sure to let the slices fully cool, this will allow the caramelized sugar to harden.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.