This Apple Dump Cake is a seriously EASY DESSERT and totally comforting. Made with fresh apples and a box cake mix, this Apple Dump Cake is the perfect fall dessert!
It’s that time of year again when we see apples everywhere and we’re looking for new and delicious ways to use them. Well I have a real treat for you today – incredibly easy Apple Dump Cake with fresh apples.
Terrible name – delicious dessert – and one I strongly suggest you try with your bounty of apples this season.
What is Apple Dump Cake?
To start with, Apple Dump Cake is a super quick and easy to make dessert. Literally, a throw together that all happens in one casserole dish and is then baked until crisp on top and bubbly underneath.
What you end up with is this gorgeous, soft apple filling (made from scratch in 3.0 seconds) and a crunchy, almost cookie like topping. It’s so satisfying to crack through the crispy surface of the Apple Dump Cake in to the beautifully stewed apples below.
How to make Apple Dump Cake
Seriously, this apple-y goodness is a 3 step process with a handful of simple ingredients
- Put sliced apples in a dish
- Sprinkle cake mix over apples
- Pour melted butter over cake mix
That’s it, then you bake it.
In a little more detail you start with peeled and sliced apples that you mix with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. That’s your first step done. Granny Smith apples are perfect for this dump cake.
Next, you sprinkle over a store bought yellow cake box mix. Make sure it’s nice and even, before drizzling over melted butter. It’s a good idea to make sure the butter is evenly distributed over the whole top and there are no missed areas as any missed spots won’t get nice and crunchy and will remain powdery.
Bake for about 45 minutes until the Apple Dump Cake is golden and firm on top. This Apple Dump Cake recipe will serve 6-8 and has taken very minimal effort for a super delicious treat. This is like the simplest form of Apple Pie around.
Apple Dump Cake Serving Suggestions
Apple Dump Cake is fantastic served with ice cream or, if it’s chilly, a nice warm crème anglaise would go down a treat.
Love how easy dump cakes are to make? Try these…
Looking for more fresh apple recipes?
- Almond and Apple Crostata
- Slow Cooker Applesauce
- Stewed Apples
- Ina Garten Apple Crisp
- Sliced Baked Apples
- Baked Apple Pork Chops
- Sauteed Apples – How to Make and Use
- Broccoli Apple Salad
- Caramel Apple Empanadas
- Apple Banana Smoothie
- Green Apple Smoothie
- Rhubarb and Apple Crumble
Don’t let Fall pass you by without serving your family this Apple Dump Cake – I just know they’ll love it.
Apple Dump Cake with Fresh Apples
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1.5 sticks) melted
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Spray an 8 cup casserole dish lightly with oil spray.
- Start by peeling, coring and then slicing the apples into thin slices (no thicker than 1/8 of an inch).
- Tip the apple slices into the casserole dish and add the lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar. Mix well to coat the apples evenly.
- Sprinkle the cake mix over the top as evenly as possible.
- Slowly drizzle over the melted butter, making sure to cover all the cake mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the top is golden and crisp.