Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Your new favorite chicken recipe is right here! Our simple creamy chicken and leeks recipe is made with a flavorsome that comes together in only 30 minutes. It is simply divine!
This chicken recipe is perfect for an easy Sunday dinner or as a tasty base for chicken leek pie or leek and chicken pasta recipes! There are just so many possibilities.
You will want to make this easy creamy leek chicken recipe again and again! Chicken breast recipes are perfect for busy families. They cook quickly and are always a favorite with my kids!
Our incredibly easy chicken leeks recipe is the best comfort food. It’s creamy, but not heavy, so it’s great when you’re looking for perfect chicken dinner ideas to make during a busy week. My other favorite easy chicken meals are Chick-fil-A chicken nuggets made in the Air Fryer and Chicken Taquitos which can be made ahead of time and popped in the oven when ready to eat.
Made mine with Gardein vegan chicken and added spinach. Topped with parmesan and crushed red pepper and then put over spaghetti noodles. Pretty tasty meal!@kjo307
What are leeks?
Leeks are closely related to onions, garlic, and scallions. The edible parts of leeks are the tightly bound leaves that form stalk-like bases.
They are an under-used onion but, once you give them a try, you will want to find more ways to use them. They have an amazing flavor and impact on sauces.
Are leeks green onions?
Leeks may look like overgrown green onions, but they have a milder, more delicate flavor that is a bit sweet.
They add a delicious layer of flavor to many dishes and are very popular in French cuisine.
What to Do with Leeks
Leeks are a flavorful addition in soups, pasta, eggs, and rice. They can also replace onions or shallots in almost any dish. Their incredible flavor elevates any recipe!
How to Cut Leeks
- Place the leek on a cutting board. Using a large knife, cut a thin slice from the root end.
- Cut the dark green, tough leaves off the end. You now have the section of the leek that is tender and oh so good for cooking.
- Hold the leek with one hand and cut it into slices. We recommend thin slices. Be sure to rinse the leeks after chopping.
How to Clean Leeks
Leeks add such great flavor to dishes, but the downside is that they are very dirty. You want to give them a good scrub when you get them home.
- Rinse the leeks under water to remove dirt and sand.
- Chop the leeks per the above directions.
- Place the chopped leeks in a bowl and fill it with cold water.
- Use your hands to agitate the leeks and dislodge any leftover dirt and sand.
If you can find leeks (you should try them) you will love this recipe. But there are times I have a hard time finding them at my local grocer. The best substitute I have found for leeks is Sweet or Vidalia onions.
Slice the onions in rounds and you can easily substitute them for leeks. I have made this dish many times using sweet onions and it is also delicious.
- If you want very tender chicken, pound the meat with a rolling pin.
- Make sure to move the leeks around when you are frying them up. You do not want to burn leeks. Trust me on this!
- Leeks are a delicious vegetable full of wonderful flavor, but they are grown in the ground in sandy soil. Please make sure you give them a very good rinse. You don’t want to wind up with a gritty chicken dish.
- If you can not find leeks, use sweet or Vidalia onions sliced into rounds.
Try making it with ramps!
You could also use ramps to put a spin on your chicken and leeks recipes by turning this into a ramps recipe. If you can get your hands on ramps, definitely give it a try!
Chicken and Leeks Recipes
Leeks recipes like these can be used as the starting point for a variety of new creations. This includes:
- Chicken and leek pie
- Chicken and leek soup
- Chicken and leek stew
- Chicken and leek pasta
- …the list goes on!
For the chicken leek pie, pasta, and soup, the cooked chicken will need to be removed and shredded.
Side Dishes for Chicken Breast
My chicken chili recipe is always a huge hit at every party. For more chicken recipes and inspiration on how to cook chicken perfectly, follow my Chicken Temperature Chart!
Chicken and Leeks Recipe
- chopping board
- cling film
- rolling pin
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 Chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 Leeks quartered length ways and then roughly chopped
- 1 clove Garlic finely chopped or 2 teaspoons of garlic paste
- 2 Tbsp. Flour
- 2 cups Chicken stock or chicken broth
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Ground Mustard
- 3 tablespoon Sour Cream
- 1 Handful fresh tarragon leaves (optional)
First prepare the chicken:
- Place plastic wrap around the chicken breasts, then pound the chicken with a rolling pin to flatten the meat to around half a cm in thickness. This step is optional but will give you the most tender chicken.Drizzle oil over one side of the chicken and then season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Flip it over and repeat.Place a large frying pan on the stove and add the chicken breasts. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Then remove from the pan and set it on a plate.
Next prepare the chicken and leek broth:
- Using the same pan, add a little more oil and gently fry the chopped leeks. Make sure to move the leeks around in order for them not to burn.While the leeks are cooking add some finely chopped garlic and stir in well. Once the leeks have softened, stir in 2 tablespoon flour and then gradually add the stock and milk.
- When the broth starts to simmer return the chicken to the pan and cook with the lid on for 20 minutes.After 20 minutes remove the lid and stir 1 teaspoon of ground mustard and 3 tablespoon of sour cream into the chicken and leek broth.
- Finish by stirring in some fresh tarragon leaves (optional) before serving with your choice of veg or potatoes.
- RECIPE BASE: You can use this chicken leek recipe as a base for other recipes, such as chicken and leek pie, chicken leek soup, or chicken and leek pasta.
- MAKE SURE TO CLEAN THE LEEKS: Leeks are a delicious vegetable full of wonderful flavor, but they are grown in the ground in sandy soil. They need a good cleaning before you use them for cooking.
- LEEK SUBSTITUTE: You can substitute sweet onions or Vidalia onions if you can not find leeks
Photography credit: Debbie Jones
Pattie @ Olla-Podrida says
I love the look of the cover, and this recipe. I have leeks, so I may just try it this weekend.
The chicken and leeks appeal to me
I am all for making that chicken and leeks first!
Chicken and leeks work beautifully together. Can’t wait to try this recipe….hopefully from my brand new book!
Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories says
I can’t wait to try this! The book looks gorgeous too!
Keto Recipes says
I love leeks and chicken. This soups looks so comforting and delicious. Definitely going to try it Thanks for sharing!
Jordin Webert says
Thank you! It’s the best of both worlds, comforting and delicious! Let us know how you enjoy it.
Garlic + Zest says
What a mouthwatering recipe! I love the tarragon and whole grain mustard along with the creme fraiche. Reminds me of my French grandmother’s cooking.
Shanika @ Orchids + Sweet Tea says
I hardly ever make leeks, but this Chicken and Leeks dish looks so creamy and delicious!
Em Beitel says
You should give it a try, Shanika! This is one of our favorite recipes recently. It’s just so creamy and tasty. Thank you for your comment!
This looks so comforting and satisfying. Love the addition of the leeks and mustard. Such a flavorful broth!
Em Beitel says
Thank you so much, Jamie! Leeks and mustard are a delicious combination.
I used almond flour and almond milk to
Make it keto. Very good!
Em Beitel says
What a fantastic tip! Thank you so much, Marj!