This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Learn how to make rice the Portuguese way, on the stove, without fail. Once you try making Portuguese rice, you’ll make it this way all the time! It’s so simple and delicious.
This easy rice recipe takes just 30 minutes to cook and has the most amazing flavor and texture! It’s the best rice recipe for making perfect, fluffy rice every time.
How to Make Rice Perfect Every Time
If you are Portuguese, rice is a staple in your home. I grew up enjoying Portuguese cuisine, especially Portuguese rice, almost every night of the week.
All of my friends loved my mom’s Portuguese rice and would tell me how different it is from regular American rice! At the time, I didn’t “get it”. It was only after trying instant rice at a friend’s house that I really understood: Portuguese rice is the best rice in the world!
This is the only rice recipe I’ll make, and it’s foolproof. Seriously, there’s no messing up making rice this way. My kids and their friends love this easy rice recipe just like I did growing up, and there’s a good reason for that!
Portuguese Rice Recipe Ingredients
- Chicken bouillon cubes or powdered chicken bouillon
- Small onion, whole
- Uncooked long-grain rice
How to Cook Rice
- How to boil rice: bring water to a boil. Once boiling, add in chicken bouillon and mix well.
- Add small onion to the center of the pan.
- Reduce heat to low and pour in the rice to surround the onion.
- How to cook rice in a pot: Cover and do not touch (seriously, do not even think about touching it!) for approximately 30 minutes, until the rice is fully cooked and tender.
- Remove and discard the onion.
- Add butter and stir in until melted completely.
- Taste your rice to see if it needs any salt. Serve, and enjoy your fluffy white rice recipe!
Rice to Water Ratio
For perfect rice, use a 2-1 water for rice ratio. As an example, for 2 cups of long-grain rice, I use 4 cups of water. This is a good way of knowing how much water to use for rice no matter what portion size you’re making!
White Rice Recipe Tips
- The key to the incredible flavor of this white rice recipe is the chicken bouillon and the onion. The flavors seep up into the rice as it cooks and makes every bite flavorful!
- Stovetop rice really is that easy! There’s no need for a rice cooker or other appliance to make steamed rice. All you need to learn how to cook perfect rice every time is a pan and your stove!
- I’ll let you in on a little secret: you won’t even touch this rice for the full 30 minutes that it’s cooking. In fact, do not stir it until it is cooked! Put the lid on, and do not look at it again!
How long does it take to Cook Rice?
One of the biggest questions I get about my Portuguese rice is how long to cook rice on the stove. The good news is, cooking rice on the stove is easy to do and really doesn’t take very long!
It will take just 30 minutes for your perfect stovetop rice to completely cook.
You can even make my perfect rice in the Instant Pot – try my Instant Pot White Rice recipe!
Rice Recipe FAQs
You can keep cooked white rice in the fridge for about 4 to 5 days. I recommend pairing it with other recipes if you find you made too much, but trust me – it’s so delicious, it won’t last that long!
To reheat your rice, add it to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes or so. I find adding a little extra liquid when reheating rice is important. You can add either a little extra butter or just a bit of water. Cover the container with a paper towel when reheating.
- Teriyaki Pulled Pork Rice Bowl
- Asian Beef Stir Fry
- Pork Fried Rice Recipe
- Spanish Rice and Beans
- Tuna Yum Yum Bowl
I also love enjoying this rice as-is! It’s that delicious. Once you know how to make rice like Portuguese rice, you’ll want to use it for so many recipes! I guarantee it.
- Pot with a lid
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Once boiling, add in chicken bouillon and mix well.4 cups water, 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Add 1 small onion to the center of the pan.1 small onion
- Reduce heat to low and pour in the rice to surround the onion.2 cups long grain rice
- Cover and do not touch* for approximately 30 minutes, until the rice is fully cooked and tender.
- Remove and discard the onion.
- Stir in 4 Tbsp. butter until completely melted. Stir in well.4 tablespoons butter
- Taste your rice to see if it needs any salt. Serve, and enjoy your fluffy white rice recipe!1 teaspoon salt
- How to reheat rice: Microwave on high 1-2 minutes with a bit of water or a pat of butter.
- DO NOT TOUCH the rice while it’s cooking! I know it can be tempting to stir it, but trust me: don’t do it! The rice will perfectly cook without you touching it.