I have had a mad craving for wings lately. I don’t know if it’s the impending big game, or if I’m just in the mood, but either way – I can’t get enough! I’ve been trying new flavor combinations like mad, veering away from our families favorite Spicy Garlic variety. We’ve gone sweet. We’ve done barbecue. A little bit of booze has even made its way into the mix. But today, I wanted to share another favorite in our house, these ruby-hued Dragon Chicken Wings. Perfect for game day, movie night or even a Weekday Supper.
These wings are bold, spicy, and full of in-your-face flavor. What more could you ask for from your game-day eats?
Dragon Chicken Wings
- 5 long red chiles hot, seeded & halved
- 1 red bell pepper seeded & cored
- 6 " piece gingerroot peeled & chopped
- 2 Tbs. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 3 fat cloves garlic peeled
- ⅔ c. olive oil
- 4 lbs. chicken wings wing-dings & drummies
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro to serve
- Place chiles, red pepper, ginger, salt, vinegar, garlic, and oil in the jar of a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Place the chicken in a large zip-top bag and pour the marinade over it. Seal and massage the bag a bit to distribute the marinade evenly. Place in refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Line two shallow sheet trays with foil and spray well with cooking spray. Tip the chicken and marinade out onto the prepared sheets. Arrange the chicken so that the pieces are not touching each other.
- Slide into oven and roast/bake for ~30 minutes or until the wings are turning golden in spots and are cooked through (should register 165° F on thermometer).
- Transfer wings to a serving platter and sprinkle with as much chopped cilantro as you like.
If your chiles aren't very hot, you can always pass a bottle of hot sauce around the table.
Are you crazy about wings? What’s your favorite way to make them – spicy, mild, or somewhere in between? Feel free to share your favorite wing recipes and/or links in the comments!
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.