Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Our rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup recipe is a bowl-full of love and comfort! Creamy and delicious, this is a simple mushroom soup recipe packed with flavor in every bite. Just one taste, and you’ll have a new favorite soup!
Best Mushrooms for Soup
We highly recommend Shiitake, Cremini, or white button mushrooms for this easy mushroom soup.
Family Foodie Tip: No matter which mushrooms you choose for this recipe, the most important thing is to look for freshness. You want nice firm mushrooms.
What is Paprika?
I am a huge paprika fan and use it in almost everything. At my house, its a staple almost as necessary as salt and pepper.
Paprika is a ground spice made from a combination of dried peppers, including hot chili peppers, cayenne peppers, poblano peppers, Aleppo peppers, and sweet peppers.
Some paprikas are hot and spicy, others are sweet, with no heat and a mild flavor.
You may also like
While I am a huge fan of Spanish and Portuguese paprika in most dishes, Hungarian paprika is preferable for this recipe, but not necessary if you can’t find it. However, Hungarian Paprika adds a bolder and more authentic flavor to the soup.
- white onion finely chopped
- Hungarian sweet paprika
- white wine
- chicken or vegetable stock
- soy sauce
- sour cream
- dried dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Extra sour cream for topping (optional)
Family Foodie TIP—Keep a little extra sour cream on hand to top the soup with. Trust me, it’s delicious!
🍲 How to Make Mushroom Soup
- In a large pan, fry the onions in butter until soft, then add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- When the mushrooms start to soften, sprinkle with flour and paprika and mix in well.
- Next, add the white wine and scrape up any bits of flour and paprika stuck to the base of the pan. Then gradually add the stock, milk and soy sauce, and stir continually, until the soup starts to boil and thicken.
- Take the soup off the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the sour cream, then stir in well. IMPORTANT NOTE: adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!
- Add the lemon juice, dill, and seasoning to taste. Serve with freshly chopped parsley and extra dollops of sour cream (optional).
🥫 How to Store Leftover Soup
Freshly made Creamy Mushroom Soup will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for 2 days.
❄ Can you freeze mushroom soup?
Yes, this recipe for Hungarian mushroom soup can be frozen! It’s a perfect make-ahead soup. Allow to fully cool before transferring to an airtight container.
Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost thoroughly before reheating. Reheat in a pan and ensure the soup is piping hot throughout before serving.
🥖 What goes good with Mushroom Soup
An indulgent dish like this definitely requires a perfect pairing and something that you can dunk into all that creamy, mushroomy goodness!
- Any kind of grilled cheese will work well …
- Mushroom grilled cheese sandwich would pair up amazingly!
- We love pairing this soup with Hungarian wine or even our Moscato Sangria recipe
Grab yourself a massive bowl and get ready for a delicious creamy soup recipe and simple Sunday Supper soup recipe like you’ve never tasted before! As far as homemade soup recipes go, we think this is the best mushroom soup in the world!
Favorite Homemade Soup Recipes
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Chick-fil-a Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chick-fil-a Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Shrimp Bisque
Save the Video Pin
See what our readers are saying about this recipe on Pinterest! Check out the pin.
We made this last night for a soul warming soup on a winter’s eve. It is so YUMMY, I am sharing the recipe with my family in other cities! Thank you for sharing the recipe!!Trudi
I froze it in one cup portions and defrosted one for supper last night. It was just as delicious as it was when just cooked. I did not add sour cream until ready to eat. Will definitely be making this again.Cecelia
Just made this & we loved it, lemon juice & all! Definitely going to make again.Kim
The favor was so….. unexplainable. I just loved it! Thanks.Melissa
Added a pint of heavy cream and it was the best soup I’ve ever had. 🙂Sara
So good!!! Will be making it again for sure 😍😊😋Shay
Delicious! Add more mushrooms, you will not be disappointed. Definitely making this again.Samara
It was a fantastic dish. It is definitely going into my family’s favourites.Bella
📖 Easy Mushroom Recipes
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie
- Easy Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Garlic Butter Button Mushrooms
- Chicken Breast and Mushroom Recipe
- Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms about two 8 ounce packages of sliced mushrooms, such as shiitake, white button, mixed mushrooms, etc., or canned mushrooms equal to 18 ounces
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika or standard paprika
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 teaspoons dried dill
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped parsley
- Extra sour cream for topping
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan and fry 1 finely chopped small white onion until soft. Add 1 pound sliced mushrooms or canned mushrooms and stir fry for another 2 minutes.When the mushrooms soften, sprinkle with 3 tablespoons flour and 2 ½ teaspoons paprika. Mix well until fully combined.
- Add ½ cup white wine. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and stir. Once the wine reduces by half, gradually add 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock, 1 cup 2% milk, and 3 tablespoons light soy sauce. Continue to stir until the soup starts to boil and thicken.
- Once the soup boils and thickens, take it off the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Add 3 tablespoons sour cream and stir in well. Add 3 teaspoons dried dill and juice from ½ a lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add extra dollops of sour cream and about 1 ½ tablespoons chopped parsley, and enjoy!
- IMPORTANT NOTE: adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!
- Hungarian mushroom soup can be frozen. Allow to fully cool before transferring to an airtight container.Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost thoroughly before reheating. Reheat in a pan and ensure the soup is piping hot throughout before serving.
- It is not essential to use Hungarian paprika. Standard paprika will work fine. However, the use of authentic Hungarian paprika, which has a deep red color and sweeter flavor, would undoubtedly produce a richer, sweeter soup.
- Freshly made soup will also keep in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 2 days.
Photo Credit: Debbie Jones