This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
My rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup recipe is a bowl full of love and comfort! Creamy and delicious, this is a simple mushroom soup recipe packed with flavor in every bite. Just one taste, and you’ll have a new favorite soup!
Mushroom Soup Recipe
Traditionally, Hungarian mushroom soup is a rich and robust soup made with mushrooms, paprika, and a creamy base. Hearty soups are perfect for those chilly nights when you need a quick and comforting meal.
Once you try this recipe, you will never want to make mushroom soup any other way. My family is obsessed with this soup and I bet yours will be too! It is truly one of our favorite dinner ideas.
This was very easy and fast to make I used three different types of mushrooms the two said in the recipe and some portabella they are so yummy it turned out great . Thank you so much for sharing..Larry
Hungarian Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- white or yellow onions, finely chopped
- white button mushrooms
- Hungarian sweet paprika
- white wine
- chicken or vegetable stock
- soy sauce
- sour cream
- dried dill
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Extra sour cream for topping (optional)
Recipe for Mushroom Soup
- In a large pan, sauté the onions in butter over medium-high heat until soft, then add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- When the mushrooms soften, sprinkle with flour and paprika and mix in well.
- Next, add the white wine and scrape up any bits of flour and paprika stuck to the base of the pan. Then gradually add the stock, milk, and soy sauce, and stir continually, until the soup starts to boil and thicken.
- Take the soup off the heat and allow it to cool slightly before adding the sour cream, then stir in well. IMPORTANT NOTE: adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!
- Add the lemon juice, dill, and seasoning to taste. Serve with freshly chopped parsley and extra dollops of sour cream (optional).
It was delicious hands down best mushroom soup I have ever made!Emilee
Mushroom Soup Recipes Tips
- Keep a little extra sour cream on hand to top the soup with. Trust me, it’s delicious!
- Always remove the pot from the heat while adding the sour cream. Adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!
- You can substitute extra-virgin olive oil for butter if you prefer.
How to Store Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Allow the soup to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the soup to airtight containers or resealable freezer bags.
- Label and date the containers or bags.
- Leave some space at the top for expansion.
- It can be kept in the fridge for three days.
- Freeze for up to 2-3 months.
- When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator and reheat.
Reheating Mushroom Soup
- If the soup is frozen, transfer it to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight. Please do not use the microwave to defrost, as it may result in uneven heating.
- Stove or Microwave: Pour the mushroom soup into a microwave-safe bowl or a saucepan.
- Heat it on the stove over low to medium heat or in the microwave in 1-minute intervals.
- Stir occasionally and continue heating until the soup reaches your desired temperature.
2. Stovetop Method:
- Pour the soup into a saucepan.
- Heat it over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking or burning.
- Once the soup is heated through (usually within 10-15 minutes), it’s ready to serve.
I froze it in one cup portions and defrosted one for supper last night. It was just as delicious as it was when just cooked. I did not add sour cream until ready to eat. Will definitely be making this again.Cecilia
Mushroom Soup Recipe FAQs
We recommend Shiitake Mushrooms, Cremini Mushrooms, portobello, or button mushrooms for this easy mushroom soup.
No matter which fresh mushrooms you choose for this recipe, the most important thing is to look for freshness. Different mushrooms will add a nice depth of flavor.
I am a huge paprika fan and use it in almost everything. At my house, it’s a staple almost as necessary as salt and pepper.
Paprika is a ground spice made from a combination of dried peppers, including hot chili peppers, cayenne peppers, poblano peppers, Aleppo peppers, and sweet peppers.
Some paprikas are hot and spicy, and others are sweet, with no heat and a mild flavor.
Freshly made Creamy Mushroom Soup will be kept in the fridge in a sealed container for three days.
Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost thoroughly before reheating. Reheat in a pan on low on the stove and ensure the soup is piping hot throughout before serving.
We made this last night for a soul warming soup on a winter’s eve. It is so YUMMY, I am sharing the recipe with my family in other cities! Thank you for sharing the recipe!!Trudi
The flavor of this soup was so….. unexplainable. I just loved it! Thanks.Melissa
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Chick-fil-a Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chick-fil-a Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- French Onion Soup Recipe
Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms about two 8 ounce packages of sliced mushrooms, such as shiitake, white button, mixed mushrooms, etc., or canned mushrooms equal to 18 ounces
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika or standard paprika
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 teaspoons dried dill
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped parsley
- Extra sour cream for topping
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan and fry 1 finely chopped small white onion until soft. Add 1 pound sliced mushrooms or canned mushrooms and stir fry for another 2 minutes.When the mushrooms soften, sprinkle with 3 tablespoons flour and 2 ½ teaspoons paprika. Mix well until fully combined.
- Add ½ cup white wine. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and stir. Once the wine reduces by half, gradually add 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock, 1 cup 2% milk, and 3 tablespoons light soy sauce. Continue to stir until the soup starts to boil and thicken.
- Once the soup boils and thickens, take it off the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Add 3 tablespoons sour cream and stir in well. Add 3 teaspoons dried dill and juice from ½ a lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add extra dollops of sour cream and about 1 ½ tablespoons chopped parsley, and enjoy!
- IMPORTANT NOTE: adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!
- Hungarian mushroom soup can be frozen. Allow to fully cool before transferring to an airtight container.Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost thoroughly before reheating. Reheat in a pan and ensure the soup is piping hot throughout before serving.
- It is not essential to use Hungarian paprika. Standard paprika will work fine. However, the use of authentic Hungarian paprika, which has a deep red color and sweeter flavor, would undoubtedly produce a richer, sweeter soup.
- Freshly made soup will also keep in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 2 days.