Our rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup recipe is a bowl-full of love and comfort! Creamy and earthy, this is a simple mushroom soup recipe packed with flavor in every bite. Just one taste, and you’ll have a new favorite soup!
Traditionally, Hungarian mushroom soup is a rich and robust soup made with mushrooms, paprika, and a creamy base.
For this homemade soup recipe, you can use any sliced mushrooms you prefer. Shiitake, white button mushrooms, mixed mushrooms, and even canned mushrooms all work well.
Hungarian paprika is preferable for this recipe, but not necessary if you can’t find it or would rather use standard paprika. However, it adds a bolder and more authentic flavor to the soup.
TIP—Keep a little extra sour cream on hand to top the soup with. Trust me, it’s delicious!
🍲 How to Make Mushroom Soup
- In a large pan, fry the onions in butter until soft, then add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- When the mushrooms start to soften, sprinkle with flour and paprika and mix in well.
- Next, add the white wine and scrape up any bits of flour and paprika stuck to the base of the pan. Then gradually add the stock, milk and soy sauce, and stir continually, until the soup starts to boil and thicken.
- Take the soup off the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the sour cream, then stir in well. (IMPORTANT NOTE: adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!)
- Add the lemon juice, dill, and seasoning to taste. Serve with freshly chopped parsley and extra dollops of sour cream.
For a full list of ingredients and measurements, scroll to the recipe card below!
🥫 How to Store Leftover Soup
Freshly made soup will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for 2 days.
❄ Can you freeze mushroom soup?
Yes, this recipe for Hungarian mushroom soup can be frozen! It’s a perfect make-ahead soup. Allow to fully cool before transferring to an airtight container.
Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost thoroughly before reheating. Reheat in a pan and ensure the soup is piping hot throughout before serving.
🥖 What to Serve with Hungarian Paprika Soup
An indulgent dish like this definitely requires an indulgent pairing and something that you can dunk into all that creamy, mushroomy goodness!
- Any kind of grilled cheese will work well …
- …and a Mushroom grilled cheese sandwich would pair up amazingly!
- A fully loaded beef brisket burrito made with our Slow Cooker Brisket recipe
- Try it with our favorite Easy Stir Fry Recipe
- We love pairing this soup with Hungarian wine or even our Moscato Sangria recipe
- How about finishing off your meal with an Ina Garten Apple Crisp?
Grab yourself a massive bowl and get ready for a delicious creamy soup recipe and simple Sunday Supper soup recipe like you’ve never tasted before! As far as homemade soup recipes go, we think this is the best mushroom soup in the world!
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin
📖 Easy Mushroom Recipes
Try these other easy mushroom recipes! We know you’ll enjoy them just as much as we do:
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie
- Easy Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Mushroom Swiss Burger
- Garlic Butter Button Mushrooms
- Chicken Breast and Mushroom Recipe
- Mushroom Risotto Recipe
- Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
Rustic Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms about two 8 ounce packages of sliced mushrooms, such as shiitake, white button, mixed mushrooms, etc., or canned mushrooms equal to 18 ounces
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika or standard paprika
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 teaspoons dried dill
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Extra sour cream for topping
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan and fry 1 finely chopped small white onion until soft. Add 1 pound sliced mushrooms or canned mushrooms and stir fry for another 2 minutes.When the mushrooms soften, sprinkle with 3 tablespoons flour and 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika. Mix well until fully combined.
- Add 1/2 cup white wine. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and stir. Once the wine reduces by half, gradually add 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock, 1 cup 2% milk, and 3 tablespoons light soy sauce. Continue to stir until the soup starts to boil and thicken.
- Once the soup boils and thickens, take it off the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Add 3 tablespoons sour cream and stir in well. Add 3 teaspoons dried dill and juice from 1/2 a lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add extra dollops of sour cream and about 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley, and enjoy!
- IMPORTANT NOTE: adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!
- Hungarian mushroom soup can be frozen. Allow to fully cool before transferring to an airtight container.Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost thoroughly before reheating. Reheat in a pan and ensure the soup is piping hot throughout before serving.
- It is not essential to use Hungarian paprika. Standard paprika will work fine. However, the use of authentic Hungarian paprika, which has a deep red color and sweeter flavor, would undoubtedly produce a richer, sweeter soup.
- Freshly made soup will also keep in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 2 days.