Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
My rustic Mushroom Soup recipe is a bowl full of love and comfort! Creamy and delicious, this is a simple mushroom soup recipe packed with flavor in every bite. Just one taste, and you’ll have a new favorite soup!
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Once you try this recipe, you will never want to make mushroom soup any other way. My family is obsessed with this soup and I bet yours will be too! It is truly one of our favorite dinner ideas.
This was very easy and fast to make I used three different types of mushrooms the two said in the recipe and some portabella they are so yummy it turned out great . Thank you so much for sharing..Larry on Pinterest
Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- white onion finely chopped
- Hungarian sweet paprika
- white wine
- chicken or vegetable stock
- soy sauce
- sour cream
- dried dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley (optional)
- Extra sour cream for topping (optional)
How to Make Mushroom Soup
- In a large pan, fry the onions in butter until soft, then add the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- When the mushrooms start to soften, sprinkle with flour and paprika and mix in well.
- Next, add the white wine and scrape up any bits of flour and paprika stuck to the base of the pan. Then gradually add the stock, milk and soy sauce, and stir continually, until the soup starts to boil and thicken.
- Take the soup off the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the sour cream, then stir in well. IMPORTANT NOTE: adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!
- Add the lemon juice, dill, and seasoning to taste. Serve with freshly chopped parsley and extra dollops of sour cream (optional).
We love this recipe. I have made it many times.Terri on Pinterest
Hungarian Mushroom Soup Recipe Tips
- Keep a little extra sour cream on hand to top the soup with. Trust me, it’s delicious!
- Always remove the pot from the heat while adding the sour cream. Adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!
Mushroom Soup Recipes FAQs
We recommend Shiitake, Cremini, portobello, or button mushrooms for this easy mushroom soup.
No matter which mushrooms you choose for this recipe, the most important thing is to look for freshness. You want nice firm mushrooms.
I am a huge paprika fan and use it in almost everything. At my house, its a staple almost as necessary as salt and pepper.
Paprika is a ground spice made from a combination of dried peppers, including hot chili peppers, cayenne peppers, poblano peppers, Aleppo peppers, and sweet peppers.
Some paprikas are hot and spicy, others are sweet, with no heat and a mild flavor.
While I am a huge fan of Spanish and Portuguese paprika in most dishes, Hungarian paprika is preferable for this recipe, but not necessary if you can’t find it. However, Hungarian Paprika adds a bolder and more authentic flavor to the soup.
Freshly made Creamy Mushroom Soup will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for 3 days.
Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost thoroughly before reheating. Reheat in a pan on low on the stove and ensure the soup is piping hot throughout before serving.
We made this last night for a soul warming soup on a winter’s eve. It is so YUMMY, I am sharing the recipe with my family in other cities! Thank you for sharing the recipe!!Trudi
Best Mushroom Recipes
- Chicken and Mushroom Recipe
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Portobello Mushrooms
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Mushroom Grilled Cheese
- Chicken Mushroom Pie
The flavor of this soup was so….. unexplainable. I just loved it! Thanks.Melissa
Homemade Soup Recipes
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Chick-fil-a Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chick-fil-a Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Shrimp Bisque
- Classic French Onion Soup Recipe
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
I froze it in one cup portions and defrosted one for supper last night. It was just as delicious as it was when just cooked. I did not add sour cream until ready to eat. Will definitely be making this again.Cecelia
Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms about two 8 ounce packages of sliced mushrooms, such as shiitake, white button, mixed mushrooms, etc., or canned mushrooms equal to 18 ounces
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika or standard paprika
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 teaspoons dried dill
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped parsley
- Extra sour cream for topping
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan and fry 1 finely chopped small white onion until soft. Add 1 pound sliced mushrooms or canned mushrooms and stir fry for another 2 minutes.When the mushrooms soften, sprinkle with 3 tablespoons flour and 2 ½ teaspoons paprika. Mix well until fully combined.
- Add ½ cup white wine. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and stir. Once the wine reduces by half, gradually add 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock, 1 cup 2% milk, and 3 tablespoons light soy sauce. Continue to stir until the soup starts to boil and thicken.
- Once the soup boils and thickens, take it off the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Add 3 tablespoons sour cream and stir in well. Add 3 teaspoons dried dill and juice from ½ a lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add extra dollops of sour cream and about 1 ½ tablespoons chopped parsley, and enjoy!
- IMPORTANT NOTE: adding the sour cream while still on the heat will cause it to curdle!
- Hungarian mushroom soup can be frozen. Allow to fully cool before transferring to an airtight container.Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost thoroughly before reheating. Reheat in a pan and ensure the soup is piping hot throughout before serving.
- It is not essential to use Hungarian paprika. Standard paprika will work fine. However, the use of authentic Hungarian paprika, which has a deep red color and sweeter flavor, would undoubtedly produce a richer, sweeter soup.
- Freshly made soup will also keep in the fridge, in a sealed container, for 2 days.