Like a taco in a bowl! The southwestern flavors in our Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup will warm you up and satisfy your taste buds too! A delicious dinner that’s easy to make and sure to become one of your family’s favorite comfort food soup recipes!
During the fall months, comfort food recipes like soups & stews are go-to meals at my house. They’re packed with flavor, simmer for hours, and make the house smell awesome. I love that I can make a big batch and still have leftovers after feeding the family. Who doesn’t love a cook once, eat twice (or three times) meal?
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe Tips
- You can use fresh or frozen chicken in this recipe. I love not worrying about defrosting chicken in the morning to make this soup for dinner.
- Make a double batch of rice the night before. You can use rice you prepared the same day, but why not save yourself some time and make extra rice when you know this soup is calling your name. That way you can just dump it in the pot with everything else.
- Top this soup with your favorite Mexican inspired garnishes. I love shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and avocado on top of my soup!
This Instant Pot Chicken Rice Soup is crazy easy to make. I threw everything in my Instant Pot and forgot about it for about 40 minutes. I still can’t get over that I can throw the frozen chicken in there and have dinner in under 30-minutes. It’s the best! This Mexican Chicken Soup is full of my favorite Mexican flavors and the rice and chicken make it a filling dish that’s great alongside a salad or all on its own. Top this soup with your favorite garnishes and you’ve got one of the best dinner ideas!
If you love curling up with a nice warm bowl of soup on a cool night, these recipes are sure to hit the spot!
Sign up for our newsletter to get FREE Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chicken breasts frozen
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounce canned corn drained
- 14.5 ounce diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 15 ounce canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
Optional Garnish Ideas
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Tortilla chip strips
- Press the “sautee” button on your Instant Pot. Add the oil to the cooking vessel. Once hot, add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly to prevent burning. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, corn, tomatoes with green chilis, black beans, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper to the Instant Pot. Give everything a quick stir.
- Cover and secure the Instant Pot lid. Be sure the release valve is set to seal. Press the “soup” setting button and then the “manual” button. Use the + and – buttons to set the soup for 15 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot has pressurized and cooked for 15 minutes it will beep that it’s done. Turn off the Instant Pot and let it sit for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, carefully turn the release valve to vent (use tongs or a kitchen towel to prevent scalding) and let the valve run until no more steam comes out. Carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken breasts to a plate and shred. Return to the pot and stir to combine. Add cooked rice to the pot and stir to combine. Ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish as desired. Serve immediately.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.