Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Our easy Beer Cheese Dip is a German-style dip, also known as Obatzda, and it tastes amazing! Perfect for dipping pretzels, sliced meats, and so much more. There is no cooking time; simply mix, refrigerate, and serve!
Serve it at a party, and it will be a hit! Obatzda is a great choice for your favorite game day appetizers or simply as a fun snack.
What is Obatzda?
Obatzda is a Bavarian easy cheese dip recipe made with two types of cheese and German wheat beer.
In this case, we use Camembert, spreadable cheese, butter, onions, spices and, of course, beer. It is one of our favorite German appetizers as it is so easy to make!
It’s a classic Bavarian beer garden dish, best enjoyed with a cold stein of Weissbeir or your own favorite brew. Plus, Bavarian Soft Pretzels for dipping!
You may see it referred to as Obazda, Obazde, Obazd’n, Obatzter, Obatzda, Obazda, Obatzter, or Obatza dip. Whatever you call it, you’re going to want to make sure you have this easy dip at every get-together, because it is truly so good!
🧀 Beer Cheese Dip Ingredients
Obatzda beer and cheese dip uses just a few easy ingredients and a tasty mix of seasonings like paprika, caraway, and chives.
- If you can’t find ground caraway, you can use whole caraway seeds.
- We use German wheat beer, Camembert cheese, and spreadable cheese wedges, such as Laughing Cow brand.
What is the best beer for beer cheese dip?
Traditional Obatzda calls for German wheat beer, but you could also use another type of German beer or a non-alcoholic beer if you don’t want to have alcohol in your dip!
🍺 How to Make Beer Cheese Dip
Making this cheese dip for pretzels requires just 5 easy steps! The best part is, you don’t have to cook it. Bavarian beer cheese dip is best served cold or at room temperature!
- Cut Camembert into pieces and bring to room temperature along with spreadable cheese and butter. Make sure all are very soft so they will mix together smoothly.
- Add the cheeses and butter to a mixing bowl with paprika, caraway seeds, and beer. Use a fork to mix. If possible, refrigerate for a couple of hours to let the flavors meld.
- Before serving, fold in diced onion and chives. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with remaining chives and serve with soft pretzels, fresh bread, pita chips, sliced sausages, etc. Serve dip at room temperature, and enjoy!
Does the alcohol cook out of beer and cheese dip?
It does not. Since traditional German beer cheese dip is not cooked, and is served room temperature or cold, the alcohol remains in the dip.
It is a nominal amount per serving. However, you can also use non-alcoholic beer in place of the German wheat beer for your Obatzda, if you prefer.
🥫 How to Store Cheese Dip
You can store Obatzda in the fridge for 2-3 days, so you can make it ahead of time for a get-together or party!
We do not recommend freezing it, as the texture will not hold up well.
🥘 What goes well with German cheese dip?
This is the best beer cheese dip for pretzels, like our Soft Pretzel Recipe, and it can also be served with veggies!
It’s perfect for football games, tailgating, or your own Oktoberfest party. In fact, it’s one of our favorite Oktoberfest recipes and game day snacks!
- Portuguese Potatoes and Chorizo
- Easy Baked Crispy Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Asparagus Fries
- Instant Pot French Bread
- Easy Air Fryer Mushrooms
📖 Finger Foods for a Party
For more of the best game day recipes and easy finger foods, try these:
- Easy Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- Puerto Rican Baked Empanadas
- Shrimp Shumai
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Baked Buffalo Wings (with Homemade Buffalo Sauce)
And for more German recipes, try this authentic German Potato Salad recipe.
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin
We hope you enjoy this creamy cheese dip recipe! Let us know what you think in the comments below and with a rating. We love to hear from you!
Beer Cheese Dip (Obatzda)
- 6 oz. Camembert cheese
- 6 oz. spreadable cheese wedges (like Laughing Cow)
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground caraway seeds (optional
- 1/4 cup German wheat beer or beer of choise
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chives, finely chopped, divided
- Cut Camembert into pieces and bring to room temperature with spreadable cheese and butter. Make sure all are very soft so they will mix together smoothly.Add the cheeses and butter to a mixing bowl with paprika, caraway seeds, and beer. Use a fork to mix.If possible, refrigerate for a couple of hours to allow flavors to meld.Before serving, fold in diced onion and 1 Tbsp. chives. Add salt and pepper to taste.Garnish with remaining chives.
- Serve at room temperature with soft pretzels, fresh bread, pita chips, sliced sausages, etc.
- NOTE: This recipe contains a nominal amount of alcohol. If you would like to make your cheese dip recipe without alcohol, try using a non-alcoholic beer in place of the German wheat beer.
- Serve your beer and cheese dip with a soft pretzel recipe, roasted vegetables, sausage, or crusty bread for dipping. This dip will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator.