Chocolate peanut butter pretzels snack mix has EVERYTHING you love about snack mix recipes in one package! Packed with mini pretzels, roasted peanuts, M&M candies, melted milk chocolate, and smooth peanut butter, this will quickly become one of your favorite easy snacks to make.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pretzels
Chocolate and peanut butter pretzels make delicious camping snacks, picnic snacks, or even back to school snacks! This is one of our favorite easy to make snacks with little ingredients—both kids and adults alike love it. You’ll want to munch on this pretzel mix recipe all day long!
Here’s what you’ll need to make these peanut butter and chocolate covered pretzels:
- 9 oz. Mini Pretzels
- 2 cups Roasted Peanuts, divided
- 1½ cups M&Ms, divided
- 1½ oz. Milk Chocolate, melted
- 1½ cups Smooth Peanut Butter, melted
How to Melt Chocolate
Melting chocolate is not as difficult as it may seem at first. In fact, it’s easy to melt chocolate in the microwave or on the stove!
How to Melt Chocolate in Microwave:
- Break or chop your chocolate into small pieces if you are using a chocolate bar. You could also use melting chocolate (find them in the baking section of the grocery store) or chocolate chips, if you prefer.
- Add the chocolate pieces to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds on high setting, then remove and stir. Stirring is important, as the chocolate may not melt properly if you don’t stir it.
- Repeat by microwaving as necessary for 15 second (or so; the important part is you don’t leave it in there too long at a time) intervals until the chocolate has only a few unmelted pieces. Remember to stir; this will melt any remaining lumps.
TIP: You can also add coconut oil or even vegetable oil, a little less than a teaspoon, to your melting chocolate, and it will melt more easily.
How to Melt Chocolate on the Stove:
Many people prefer to melt chocolate on the stove as it offers you a little more control than melting chocolate in the microwave. If you have a double boiler, you can use it if you prefer, but you don’t need a double boiler to melt chocolate on the stove. You can just use a heat-proof bowl and a pot.
- Add about an inch or so of water to a pot over the stove. Bring the water to a simmer. Set a heat proof bowl on top of the pot. You will want it to fit suspended in the pot so it does not touch the water beneath it. This is important. You can burn the chocolate if the bowl touches the water.
- After it starts to simmer, turn off the heat and add your chocolate. We recommend starting with about half or a little over half of your chocolate, allowing it to melt some, then adding the rest. This will make it a bit easier to melt.
- Stir gently, occasionally, as the chocolate begins to melt. This will help the chocolate melt easily.
TIP: Don’t let any water get in your chocolate! The chocolate will seize up- meaning, it will become lumpy and hard.
How to Melt Peanut Butter
Melting peanut butter is similar to melting chocolate. It’s much easier to do than it sounds, and it’s worth the effort for a snack mix like this.
How to Melt Peanut Butter in the Microwave:
- Measure out the amount of peanut butter you need for the recipe you’re making. In this case, you’ll need 1½ cups of smooth peanut butter. Place it in a microwave-safe bowl. To avoid potentially getting peanut butter in your microwave, cover the bowl with a paper towel.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl from the microwave, and stir well. Do not skip out on stirring. It’s important for the consistency of the peanut butter. Return the bowl to the microwave and continue to cook in 30-second intervals until the consistency is melted, but not liquefied.
How to Melt Peanut Butter on the Stove:
- Add your peanut butter to a saucepan. Once you have it in the pan, turn the burner on to low heat and gradually raise the temperature as you stir the peanut butter continuously. Don’t let the stove get too hot or you may burn the peanut butter.
- After about 5 minutes or so, the peanut butter will start melting. Once you have it where you want it, take it off the heat quickly so you don’t burn the pan or liquefy it.
TIP: Whipped peanut butter, which you can buy ready-made at any grocery store from your favorite peanut butter brands, is creamy, fluffy, and an acceptable substitute to melting peanut butter.
How to Make Chocolate and Peanut Butter Pretzels
Making this chocolate peanut butter pretzels snack mix is honestly so easy, and once you’ve tried it, you’re guaranteed to want to make it again. Trust us, it won’t last you long. It’s that delicious! Follow these instructions (and the instructions above for melting chocolate and peanut butter) to make this easy snack recipe:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Set aside 1/3 cup of peanuts and 1/3 cup of M&Ms.
- Portion out 9 oz. of mini pretzels from a bag of mini pretzels.
- Add the remaining peanuts and M&Ms (not the 1/3 cup of each you set aside) to the bag of pretzels. Close the bag and shake until well mixed.
- Melt your chocolate and peanut butter, then add them to the bag. Seal with a clip or wrap the edges closed, then shake until everything is mixed together. Use your hands to manipulate the chocolate and peanut butter throughout the bag so everything is evenly mixed.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining peanuts and M&Ms (the 1/3 cup you set aside for each) over the top. Place in the freezer to set for about 15 minutes.
- Break into pieces, and enjoy!
This is one of our favorite easy recipes for kids to make by themselves. You will need to help with melting the chocolate and peanut butter, but the rest they can help with, and they will love it! Not only is it delicious, but it’s truly fun to make.
What goes with peanut butter and chocolate covered pretzels?
This pretzel snack mix pairs well with other fun foods, especially the kind of party snacks recipes you would find at a sleepover. We recommend these Puff Pastry Pizza Twists as a fun food to serve before this snack mix recipe. You could also make this an extra special treat by pairing it with a smoothie, like this Apple Banana Smoothie, Green Apple Smoothie, or Blueberry Banana Smoothie.
This is one of our favorite picnic snacks or camping snacks, so serving it alongside other picnic foods is the perfect idea. Here’s our list of the Best Picnic Foods, if you need inspiration! And for camping recipes, we have this guide to Cowboy Cooking with plenty of them.
Want more quick snack recipes like this?
There’s nothing we love more than easy snacks recipes! Try these:
- No Bake Oatmeal Balls
- No Bake Pumpkin Cookies (one of our favorite recipes for kids to cook!)
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Balls
- Baked Crispy Potato Wedges
- Sliced Baked Apples
- Southwest Egg Rolls
Let us know what you think of this easy snacks recipe in the comments below and with a rating! We love to hear from you.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Mix
- 9 ounces mini pretzels
- 2 cups roasted peanuts, divided
- 1½ cups M&M’s, divided
- 11½ ounces milk chocolate, melted
- 1½ cups smooth peanut butter, melted
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Set aside 1/3 cup of peanuts and 1/3 cup of M&M’s.
- Mini pretzels are sold in bags larger than 9 ounces. Remove all but 9 ounces and enjoy the remaining pretzels another time.
- Add the remaining peanuts and M&M’s to the bag of pretzels. Close the bag and shake until the pretzels, peanuts and M&M’s are well mixed.
- Add the melted chocolate and peanut butter to the bag. Seal with a clip or wrap the edges closed and shake until everything is mixed together, using your hands to help manipulate the chocolate and peanut butter through the bag.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining peanuts and M&M’s over the top. Place in the freezer to set, about 15 minutes.
- Break into pieces and enjoy.
- This recipe may easily be halved or doubled, depending on the number of servings desired.
This post was updated July 26, 2019.