Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Strawberry Crumble is a MUST-MAKE Mother’s Day brunch recipe! Loaded with scrumptious strawberries, our Strawberry Crumble dessert recipe is completely irresistible and so very easy to make.
It’s an easy dessert idea the kids can make for mom on her special day!
What is a Crumble
A crumble is a dish that is most commonly made with fruit and topped with a crumbly mixture of fat, flour, and sugar. Although crumbles can be savory too, most of the time you will see sweet fruit crumbles for dessert or breakfast recipes.
Like our strawberry crumble, crumble recipes are fairly easy to make. Most often you will add the fruit with added sugar, liquid, and a thickening agent to a greased dish and then top the fruit mixture with the crumble topping.
Our strawberry crumble topping, much like our Healthy Strawberry Oatmeal bars, is made with oatmeal. For added flavor the topping also has slivered almonds making this Strawberry Crumble extra special, indeed!
When you include this Strawberry Crumble recipe on your Brunch Dessert menu you’ll look like a rock star without even coming close to breaking a sweat.
Or, better yet, hand the recipe to your kids and have them make it FOR you. They can handle it.
Making this strawberry crumble recipe extra special is the demerara sugar, a partially refined light brown cane sugar, in the topping.
Additionally, our Strawberry Crumble recipe also has a touch of alcohol in it, which is always a welcome addition in my book. This strawberry crumble is also super easy to make too!
Make this strawberry crumble and it will for sure become your go-to dessert recipe!
How to make a strawberry crumble
- First, you hull the strawberries. You can use fresh or frozen strawberries in this recipe which means you can have this crumble year round!
- Next you combine all the filling ingredients and give them a good stir.
- Then you combine the crumble ingredients and cut the butter in until it’s combined but not a paste.
- Then pour the filling into a buttered baking dish or deep pie dish. Sprinkle the crumble layer on top.
- And bake until the filling is boiling and bubbling up.
Serve warm and topped with cream.
It’s easy dessert recipes for kids to make that will bring a smile to Mom’s face on Mother’s Day or any day of the year.
Of course, there’s no law saying we have to wait until Mother’s Day to make this strawberry crumble.
If you believe, as I do, that Mother’s Day is every day well then we can make this easy dessert recipe as often as we like. The only thing we have to answer to is our pants.
Mother’s Day Brunch Recipes
Put a smile on mom’s face this Mother’s Day when you serve these easy strawberry recipes along with our Strawberry Crumble:
For the Filling
- 1 1/2 lbs strawberries hulled (fresh or frozen strawberries)
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons Pimm's No. 3 Cup or alcohol of your choice - optional
- 1 tablespoon minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Crumble Topping
- 2/3 cup instant oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup almonds slivered
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter cold and diced plus a little extra for buttering deep pie dish
- heavy cream to serve
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F or 180˚C and butter a deep pie dish with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the hulled strawberries with the rest of the filling ingredients.
- Pour the filling into the buttered dish and spread it around evenly.
- Mix all of the crumble ingredients together and stir. Use a pastry blender or even a food processor on pulse to cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over process into a paste.
- Sprinkle the crumble on top of the filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 - 45 minutes for fresh strawberries or 50 - 55 minutes if you are using frozen.
- Start checking for bubbling filling about 30 - 40 minutes in. Once it is bubbling, bake for about 10 minutes more. You need the filling to boil and bubble to help activate the tapioca and cornstarch so it will thicken up.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. If you are baking this a day or two before you are serving, cool the crumble completely, cover it with cling film and refrigerate. You can serve the crumble warmed in the microwave or oven but I must say that some folks love it cold.