Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Our Boneless Prime Rib Roast Recipe is the ultimate easy holiday meal! Not only is it melt-in-your-mouth delicious with the most amazing au jus, but it also uses simple ingredients and is easy to make.
This is one of my favorite holiday recipes because not only do we enjoy it the day of, the leftovers are also amazing! I like to serve it up with garlic butter and the best side dishes for roast beef, then use the leftovers for creamy penne pasta or a prime rib sandwich!
Tender, flavorful, and easy to make, boneless prime rib recipes make the perfect holiday centerpiece. Christmas dinner wouldn’t be the same without this incredible rib roast recipe!
What is prime rib?
Prime rib is one of the most tender beef cuts you will ever taste. It melts in your mouth, and is so delicious.
Bone-in and boneless rib roast are both cut from the rib area. It comes from the same section as ribeye steak, but is left as a larger piece of meat.
Prime Rib is considered the king of roasts since it has the perfect combination of flavor, marbling, and tenderness.
We tell you all about our favorite Prime Rib Recipes and different ways to cook them. When I say I love a good prime rib, I am not kidding. Want to try a bone-in rib roast recipe? Give our Standing Rib Roast a try!
We’re going to show you how to cook a boneless prime rib roast perfectly. To do that, you’ll need:
- Your oven
- A pan with a roasting rack
- Meat thermometer
We always recommend using a meat thermometer to ensure the perfect internal temperature.
⏲ How long do you cook boneless prime rib?
Like any cut of beef, the time spent cooking a roast depends on the size. With beef, you also have to adjust to your preferred level of doneness.
Sounds tricky, right? Good news: it isn’t. We have a secret to cooking any roast perfectly every time.
The trick? Certified Angus Beef® brand has a free app for Apple and Android devices, called Roast Perfect, that completely takes away the guesswork.
How to Use the Roast Perfect App
- Select the cut of beef you’re preparing. In this case, choose boneless prime rib from the list.
- Choose how many people you’re serving. The app will calculate exactly how many pounds of rib roast you need to purchase to feed everyone at the table.
- Select your preferred level of doneness. The Roast Perfect App will generate step-by-step instructions to cook the perfect roast, including cook times.
The app will even give you extra recipe ideas for what to do with your roast – but we promise this is the easiest prime rib recipe. 😉
Picking the Perfect Rib Roast
Cooking a perfect rib roast starts with picking the best beef at the store. Other than that, you won’t need much else! Just a good amount of salt and pepper, plus the ingredients for the au jus.
We use a Certified Angus Beef® brand boneless prime rib. We highly recommend giving this brand a try. The marbling makes all the difference in the taste.
The size of the roast you’re buying depends entirely on how many people you want to serve. For example, we’re using a 3.5 pound roast to feed approximately 8 people.
Au Jus Ingredients
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients to make homemade au jus. Follow our au jus recipe for ingredients and instructions!
🔥 How to Cook a Boneless Prime Rib Roast
TIP—Take your roast out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking it to allow it to come to room temperature. This ensures that it will cook evenly throughout.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Pat your room temperature boneless prime rib dry using paper towels, then rub all over with a generous amount of salt and pepper. You want to give it a good coating!
- Place the roast on a pan with a roasting rack, fat-side up.
Add it to the oven and cook for 15 minutes at 450°F.
After 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 325°F. Cook for an additional 1 hour and 40 minutes (check the exact time for your level of doneness using the Roast Perfect App).
- Once the beef is done cooking, remove it from the oven and transfer it to a cutting board.
Loosely tent the beef with foil for 15 minutes, then carve it against the grain. Always carve against the grain for best results.
- Serve with au jus or garlic butter, and enjoy!
For full ingredient instructions and more recipe tips, keep scrolling to the recipe card below.
⏲ Prime Rib Temperatures
Find your perfect degree of doneness by following these guidelines for temperature and color of the beef:
- Rare: 120-125°F – Bright red on the inside
- Medium Rare: 130-135°F – Pink on the outer crust with a deeper red center
- Medium: 135-140°F – Mauve/light pink on the inside
- Well-done: 145°F+ – Brown, no pink
⭐ Family Foodie Tips
- Cook the perfect roast every time by downloading the Roast Perfect App. Trust me, I use it all of the time for my roast recipes and highly recommend it. It makes everything easier!
- Always use a meat thermometer. This eliminates any guesswork and makes it easy to cook the perfect roast every time. Refer to the degree of doneness chart above to find your preferred temperature.
- Always allow the roast to come to room temperature before cooking it; this will ensure it cooks evenly.
- Always use a roasting pan with a rack for even cooking. A rack allows heat to circulate all around the roast.
- Let the prime rib rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing. This seals the juices in and will give you a more tender, juicier portion.
Finally, when slicing beef, always slice against the grain. The “grain” looks like lines running through the beef. Slicing against it will give you the most tender cuts of beef. This is so important!
🥗 Side Dishes for Prime Rib
Take a look at my personal Best Roast Beef Side Dishes – I love this collection! Here are a few more of my favorites to choose from for rib roast recipes:
What to Do with Leftover Prime Rib
Leftover prime rib is just as good the next day! Use up your leftovers in a sandwich, or in our favorite leftovers recipe: Creamy Penne Pasta with Sliced Prime Rib.
🥫 How to Store
Store leftovers wrapped in plastic wrap on a plate or in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days. Drizzle a little bit of our au jus over the top before storing for best results.
🔥 How to Reheat
- Gently reheat roast beef slices in the oven at 250°F.
- Place the slices in a roasting pan with leftover au jus and cover the pan with foil.
- Heat for 10 minutes or until heated through.
📖 Roast Beef Dinner Ideas
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Did you try our boneless prime rib roast? Let us know what you think in the comments below and with a rating! We would love to hear from you.
Easy Boneless Prime Rib Roast Recipe
Boneless Prime Rib Roast Ingredients
- 3.5 lb Certified Angus Beef® brand boneless prime rib roast
- ¾ tsp salt Kosher is best
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Pat your room temperature boneless prime rib roast dry using paper towels, then rub all over with a generous amount of salt and pepper. You want to give it a good coating!
- Place the roast on a pan with a roasting rack, fat-side up. Add it to the oven and cook for 15 minutes at 450°F. After 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 325°F. Cook for an additional 1 hour and 40 minutes (check the exact time for your level of doneness using the Roast Perfect App).
- Once the beef is done cooking, remove it from the oven and transfer it to a cutting board. Loosely tent the beef with foil for 15 minutes to let it rest.
- After 15 minutes, carve the roast against the grain. Always carve against the grain for best results. Serve with Au Jus.
- Download the Roast Perfect App! Trust us, this will make your life so much easier.
- Roasting Rack: Always use a roasting pan with a roasting rack.
- Always let the prime rib rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
- When ready to slice, always slice the beef against the grain. This will ensure the most tender beef