Make this EASY Garlic Butter Recipe with just 3 ingredients and one bowl! Garlic herb butter is the perfect complement to bread, vegetables, meats, pizza and seafood. You will want to slather our flavored butter on everything!
Garlic Butter is So Good on Everything
Garlicky, herby butter. Does it really get any better than a good homemade garlic butter? You will want to add garlic herb butter to EVERYTHING.
This recipe is so simple but adds a special touch to any meal, no matter what protein you’re cooking. It’s even perfect if you’re just making garlic butter for bread.
It’s even fabulous slathered on turkey for the Best Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe ever. Compound butter for turkey is an absolute must-try. You won’t believe how crispy the skin gets and how much flavor it adds!
We love using our garlic butter sauce for pasta, too. Add it to your favorite pasta like angel hair or linguine and it will feel like a gourmet meal!
When melted, garlic sauce dip is the perfect pairing with your favorite pizza. This is one of our favorite ways to enjoy this garlic spread.
You can even melt butter garlic sauce with herbs over seafood for an incredible garlic butter sauce recipe. Garlic butter for shrimp is our favorite! Try it with Shrimp Scampi Linguine or a Shrimp Foil Pack, and we guarantee you will want to make homemade garlic butter all of the time.
Oh, and DEFINITELY try adding garlic herb butter to your Steamed Crab Legs. You will not even believe how delicious this combination is! The first time we tried this garlic butter recipe with steamed crab legs, we were totally blown away by the flavor!
Ingredients for Homemade Garlic Butter
The best part about making homemade garlic butter is that it contains just 3 simple ingredients.
- Butter: We use salted butter in this recipe but if you prefer, you can use unsalted butter and add salt to taste.
- Garlic: The garlic gives the butter it’s amazing flavor! Chop it up finely by hand or put it in a garlic press.
- Herbs: This recipe uses parsley, which complements so many foods, but feel free to experiment with additional herbs of your choosing!
Try mixing your garlic butter recipe up by using your favorite herbs! For example, you could try adding a little thyme for steak butter.
How to Make Garlic Butter Sauce
Making flavored butter takes only a few minutes! Here’s all you have to do:
- Start with the butter. Make sure it’s at room temperature before you get started so you can mix everything together easily. Then, add it to a bowl.
- Chop or press the garlic and finely chop the parsley. Add both to the bowl.
- Mix until well combined. That’s it! Perfectly flavored homemade garlic butter!
- If you are using the recipe as a Garlic Butter spread, it will be ready to use. If you are using it as a Garlic Butter Sauce, add to a saucepan and heat on low for 3 minutes or until melted.
How to Make Garlic Butter for Bread
This is the best garlic butter spread! The secret to great a garlic bread recipe is to keep it simple and use this easy garlic spread recipe.
- Use the recipe for garlic butter but do not melt the garlic butter.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Spread on your favorite bread (baguette or french bread works great) at room temperature.
- Optional – for cheesy garlic bread, sprinkle 1/4 cup of mozzarella or parmesan cheese on top.
- Place bread on a baking sheet.
- Bake until bread is toasted and lightly brown, approximately 5 minutes.
How to make Garlic Butter Sauce for Pasta
This is the easiest meal you will ever make and we bet your family will love it!
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 1 tbsp of salt
- Add your favorite pasta and cook, stirring often, until pasta is almost done.
- Drain the pasta but make sure to reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water.
- While the pasta is cooking, place a large pan over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of our Garlic Butter Recipe and let it melt
- Be careful not to overheat and burn the butter.
- Add the pasta to the pan and toss the garlic butter sauce pasta and 1/4 cup reserved pasta water.
- If desired top with parmesan, parsley, and additional salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Can you freeze butter?
Yes, you can freeze garlic butter spread. Just as if you were storing it in the refrigerator, add it to an airtight container and store it in the freezer.
We recommend freezing for no more than 2 months but can guarantee you will enjoy it all before then. You can take it straight out of the freezer and toss it in with whatever meal you’re making for quick & easy flavor!
If you’re taking garlic butter spread out of the freezer for bread, we recommend microwaving it on the lowest power setting for 15 seconds.
How long does garlic butter last?
Store your garlic herb butter in the fridge in an airtight container for a couple of weeks or even freeze it to bring out as needed.
Garlic butter will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge and about 2 to 3 months in the freezer. That is, if you don’t enjoy it all before then!
What to Make with Homemade Garlic Butter Sauce
We use garlic butter for our best Thanksgiving turkey recipe (you can find the link at the beginning of the post!) and it adds so much flavor to the meat. Garlic butter for bread is also delicious, and it works for vegetables too, especially baked or mashed potatoes (try it with our Foil Pack Potatoes!).
Or, you can elevate almost any dish such as:
- classic mashed potatoes
- Porterhouse Steak Recipe with French Onion Green Beans
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- Standing Rib Roast
Another one of our favorites is garlic herb butter with Green Bean Almondine. Yum!
We know you’re going to love our easy garlic butter recipe! Share how you plan to serve it in the comments below! We love to hear from you.
More Recipes to Try with Garlic Butter with Herbs
- Yorkshire Pudding Recipe
- Gluten Free Rolls
- Gluten Free Biscuits
- Easy Sprouted Bread Recipe
- Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions
- Baked Crispy Potato Wedges
- Button Mushrooms
- Beef Chuck Roast Recipe
- Soft Pretzel Recipe
- Steak Foil Pack
- Reverse Sear Ribeye
- Picanha Steak (Sirloin Cap)
Garlic Butter Recipe
- 2 sticks butter, salted (at room temperature)
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed
- 1/8 cup parsley finely chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients until well-combined.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.