Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Our Garlic Butter Sauce recipe is the key to taking any recipe over-the-top! Make this easy sauce recipe in one bowl using 3 ingredients. Garlic herb butter complements bread, vegetables, meat, pizza, seafood – anything you can think of! Try all your favorite recipes with our flavored garlic butter sauce. It’s keto-friendly and gluten-free!
- Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh?
- How to Make Garlic Butter Sauce
- Steak Butter Sauce
- For Basting Turkey
- Garlic Butter for Bread
- Butter Garlic Sauce for Pasta
- Dip for Pizza
- On Seafood
- Spread on Burgers
- With Vegetables
- Garlic Butter Mashed Potatoes
- How long does garlic butter last?
- How to Store
- Can you freeze garlic butter?
- Is this recipe keto-friendly?
- Is this recipe gluten-free?
- 📌 Pin it for later!
- 📋 Recipe
- 💬 Reviews
Garlic herb butter sauce… Does it really get any better than a good homemade garlic butter? You will want to add it to EVERYTHING, trust me!
This recipe is so simple, but adds a special touch to any meal no matter what protein you’re cooking. We love it for everything from meat and seafood to bread and vegetables.
The best part about making homemade butter with garlic is that it really is as simple as it sounds – it only uses three easy ingredients!
You can make this easy recipe as either a solid compound butter to top steaks, bread and more, or use it as a sauce for recipes like pasta or as a dip. It’s the perfect recipe if you’re on a keto diet – it’s keto-friendly and makes every meal taste incredible!
Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh?
Yes! We use 2 tablespoons fresh parsley in this recipe, which you can substitute directly for 2 teaspoons dried parsley.
Use 1 teaspoon dried herbs for every 1 tablespoon fresh herbs.
How to Make Garlic Butter Sauce
- Let your butter reach room temperature before you get started. When it’s nice and soft, add it to a bowl.
- Chop or press garlic and finely chop parsley. Add them to the bowl with the butter.
- Mix well until combined. That’s it! Perfect homemade garlic butter!
Optional step: If you’re making garlic butter sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat for 3 minutes.
Steak Butter Sauce
This recipe makes the perfect butter garlic steak sauce! Garlic compound butter is a perfect pairing for beef and steak is the best way to enjoy it. Let it melt over a juicy steak… there is nothing as delicious!
Try it over roast beef, too – it’s incredible with prime rib at the holiday table!
For Basting Turkey
Compound butter for turkey is an absolute must-try. You won’t believe how crispy the skin gets and how much flavor it adds!
Garlic Butter for Bread
This is the best garlic spread for bread! The secret to great a garlic bread recipe is to keep it simple – which is exactly what this recipe is!
- Follow the recipe, but do not melt the spread. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spread onto your favorite bread (baguette or french bread works great) at room temperature. For cheesy garlic bread, sprinkle ¼ cup of mozzarella or Parmesan cheese on top.
- Place bread on a baking sheet and bake until bread is toasted and lightly brown, approximately 5 minutes.
Butter Garlic Sauce for Pasta
We love using this sauce for pasta. Add it to your favorite pasta, like angel hair, ziti, or linguine, and it will feel like a gourmet meal!
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1tablespoon of salt.
- Add your favorite pasta and cook, stirring often, until pasta is almost done.
- While the pasta is cooking, place a large pan over medium heat. Add ½ cup of garlic butter and let it melt. Be careful not to overheat and burn it.
- When done cooking, drain the pasta, making sure to reserve ¼ cup of the water. Add the pasta to the pan and toss the garlic butter sauce with the pasta and ¼ cup reserved pasta water.
- If desired, top with Parmesan, parsley, and additional salt and pepper. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Dip for Pizza
When melted, this recipe makes the perfect garlic sauce dip for pairing with pizza! In fact, this is one of our favorite ways to enjoy this garlic spread.
Try melting our butter garlic sauce with herbs over seafood for an incredible dinner! Garlic butter for shrimp is our favorite – it’s the perfect scampi sauce! We also love garlic butter sauce for crab legs.
Spread on Burgers
Use this spread on your favorite burgers! Try our Air Fried Burger with this recipe.
Have we mentioned our garlic butter mushrooms yet? There are no words to describe how amazing they are, and they only take 10 minutes to make!
Garlic Roasted Small Potatoes are a perfect fit for this sauce, too. Give them a try!
Garlic Butter Mashed Potatoes
This recipe is incredible on mashed potatoes. Up your potato game by making garlic butter mashed potatoes with one of our easy mashed potato recipes!
How long does garlic butter last?
This spread will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge and about 2 to 3 months in the freezer. That is, if you don’t enjoy it all before then!
How to Store
You can store garlic herb butter sauce for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator, or even freeze it to bring out as needed.
Store it in the fridge rolled in plastic wrap as a log, or in an air-tight container or baggie.
Can you freeze garlic butter?
Yes, you can freeze our garlic butter recipe. Just as if you were storing it in the refrigerator, add it to an airtight container and store it in the freezer labeled with the freezing date. When ready to enjoy, you can take it straight out of the freezer and toss it in with whatever meal you’re making for quick & easy flavor!
We recommend freezing for no more than 2 months, but can guarantee you will enjoy it all before then.
If you’re taking our garlic butter recipe out of the freezer for bread, we recommend microwaving it on the lowest power setting for 15 seconds.
Is this recipe keto-friendly?
Yes! This garlic butter recipe is perfect for a keto diet.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
This recipe is 100% gluten-free.
Love this recipe? Try our Creamy Lemon Butter Sauce Recipe!
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin
Check out our Garlic Butter Web Story!
Garlic Butter Recipe
- 2 sticks butter, salted (at room temperature)
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed
- ⅛ cup parsley finely chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients until well-combined.
- If you are using the recipe as a Butter spread, it will be ready to use. If you are using it as a Garlic Butter Sauce, add to a saucepan and heat on low for 3 minutes or until melted. Serve with everything from garlic butter steak bites to grilled crab legs, and enjoy!
Photo Credit: Kristen King